Trap Collecting

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~

Print Thread
Hop To
Newhouse tags ? #7621862
07/08/22 08:46 AM
07/08/22 08:46 AM
Iowa
D
Doug Barnes Offline OP
trapper
Doug Barnes  Offline OP
trapper
D

Iowa
Some brass Newhouse tags for sale on the Trap Shed. What were they used for?

Last edited by Doug Barnes; 07/09/22 10:50 AM.
Re: Newhouse tags ? [Re: Doug Barnes] #7621930
07/08/22 11:05 AM
07/08/22 11:05 AM
S.W. Oregon,USA
S
snakecollector Offline
trapper
snakecollector  Offline
trapper
S

S.W. Oregon,USA
The tags are not real, they were made by a man in Pennsylvania and sold to deceive. The patina is artificial, it has been painted on the front of the brass. He made a large number of tags, stencils and thermometers.
Here is a thermometer from the same batch, that I bought from a gentleman in Texas. Again, fake patina.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by snakecollector; 07/10/22 03:08 PM.
Re: Newhouse tags ? [Re: snakecollector] #7622230
07/08/22 06:16 PM
07/08/22 06:16 PM
Missouri
N
Nhousecattrapper Offline
trapper
Nhousecattrapper  Offline
trapper
N

Missouri
There may have been some of these reproduced off the originals, but seriously I doubt it as the brass thickness as well as the period workmanship with hand cut lettering is that equal to the mid to late 1800s into the first few decades of the 1900 workmanship, and the individual hand cutting of each letter as well as the slight differences in irregularity of the lettering, cannot be reproduced today. Lazer and water jet methods of today, leave everything perfect and identical. Also, No one uses that thickness of Brass anymore as it mice's at a thicker thickness than most of today's metal. These are all brass, not copper.
All the originals did not come from Pennsylvania, they came out of a cash found in demolition of warehouses in the Brooklyn district of New York. I did close to a 600 hour research paper in documenting the Stencil and sign makers who made all of these. John H. Arnold who died in 1908 and his son Thomas Arnold in their lives and livelihood as sign and stencil makers from 1865 up to 1915 when Thomas died and his wife sold the business. The Arnolds did work for many sporting good companies such as Mason Decoy, Heddon, Creek Chub Peters, UMC, Abby and Imbrie, Oneida Community, PS & W, Blake and Lamb, Coca-Cola, Oil companies, Sun, Marathon, Vaccuum, Gulf, signs and strap tags for Snake oil medicines from various peddlers and others.
The residue that are on the long flat strap tags are from soaking them in Dawn dishwashing liquid to get them apart. When one spends over $100,000 on anything questionable, the first thing one does is have analyzation and testing done before buying. These have all been tested with many various method's from gas capture to cutting and chemical from St. Louis Testing Laboratories, Metal Urge Dept Iowa University, Missouri School of Mines Rolla Missouri, Many Antique appraisers and authenticators who specialize in metal authentication, and a retired metal authenticator from the Smithsonian, Library of Syracuse University, Curators from the Oneida Community Mansion house. There are many big name collectors who have purchased many of these items including the Oneida Community Mansion House. We have a tremendous amount of jealous collectors in this trap club who love to say especially if they did not find it that the item is not right, and love to rattle just to hear themselves talk, and hear lately from what I have heard from other big collectors who know traps, are getting pretty heated over someone who doesn't know, telling them their traps and wolf trap wrenches are not right. Incidentally, for those who would like to know, there are three different models on the wolf trap wrench.
The proof is in the analyzation and documentation and the metals testing. I have been taught from an early age that if you don't know what you are taking about, keep your mouth shut.

"PURVEYOR OF FINE ANTIQUTIES and RARE TRAPS". Member... MTA/CFM/NTA/NRA/NATCA #0620
Re: Newhouse tags ? [Re: Doug Barnes] #7622782
07/09/22 12:47 PM
07/09/22 12:47 PM
S.W. Oregon,USA
S
snakecollector Offline
trapper
snakecollector  Offline
trapper
S

S.W. Oregon,USA
Here are a couple of Oneida Community brass stencils. These are from 1910 to the early 1920s. The brass is quite thin. These were used to mark shipping barrels and crates.

[Linked Image]

Re: Newhouse tags ? [Re: snakecollector] #7622910
07/09/22 04:19 PM
07/09/22 04:19 PM
Iowa
D
Doug Barnes Offline OP
trapper
Doug Barnes  Offline OP
trapper
D

Iowa
Originally Posted by snakecollector
Here are a couple of Oneida Community brass stencils. These are from 1910 to the early 1920s. The brass is quite thin. These were used to mark shipping barrels and crates.

[Linked Image]

Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing

Re: Newhouse tags ? [Re: Doug Barnes] #7623761
07/10/22 05:23 PM
07/10/22 05:23 PM
MT
S
Slick Pan Offline
trapper
Slick Pan  Offline
trapper
S

MT
Sure would like to see photos and documentation of the 3 different models of wolf trap wrenches. Could you post that information here? I am sure others would like to see it also.

Re: Newhouse tags ? [Re: Slick Pan] #7625209
07/12/22 07:47 PM
07/12/22 07:47 PM
Tennessee
Deerhunter51 Offline
trapper
Deerhunter51  Offline
trapper

Tennessee
Originally Posted by Slick Pan
Sure would like to see photos and documentation of the 3 different models of wolf trap wrenches. Could you post that information here? I am sure others would like to see it also.

I’d like to see something on this also. I saw the one model we’re all familiar with at the museum but I don’t remember seeing any variants.
Please share, it would be good info for the forum.

Re: Newhouse tags ? [Re: Doug Barnes] #7626142
07/14/22 02:44 AM
07/14/22 02:44 AM
S.W. Oregon,USA
S
snakecollector Offline
trapper
snakecollector  Offline
trapper
S

S.W. Oregon,USA
Here are a few more stencils, these are originally from Oneida Community and are part of the Woodstream collection.

[Linked Image]

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  snakecollector