ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Comstock scores again. 1.5 hours after setup #7626642
07/14/22 04:37 PM
07/14/22 04:37 PM
Tennessee
T
TNADC Offline OP
trapper
TNADC  Offline OP
trapper
T

Tennessee
I received a call about a groundhog under the house. As you can see in the picture, I used a couple fence slats stapled to stakes to funnel this fellow into my Comstocks. The cage on the left has a flushmount and the one on the right is standard. No special reason why I used the flushmount besides that is what I had on the shelve at the time. I set them and left. 1.5 hours later the customer called to say I had caught one. I took another cage with me and transferred him into that to leave the "poopie" cage behind. Good product with better and quicker results.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Comstock scores again. 1.5 hours after setup [Re: TNADC] #7626683
07/14/22 06:04 PM
07/14/22 06:04 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
good catch!

I’ve never liked transferring. It always seemed like a great way to watch a woodchuck run away that has been wizened to a trap. With my luck, it’d be right in front of the customer, lol. It’d be awkward to charge them for that catch, lol.

Re: Comstock scores again. 1.5 hours after setup [Re: TNADC] #7626687
07/14/22 06:10 PM
07/14/22 06:10 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Love it when a plan comes together!

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Comstock scores again. 1.5 hours after setup [Re: TNADC] #7626692
07/14/22 06:15 PM
07/14/22 06:15 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
All of our transfer cages or traps have guillotine moving doors up and down in the rear of the traps. Never should loose an animal if they are mated up properly when doing the transfer. With the old style flip up door traps and some power door traps escapes are possible..

Escapes can happen at times if not real familiar with the process, and most likely has happened to everyone at some point.

Re: Comstock scores again. 1.5 hours after setup [Re: TNADC] #7627027
07/15/22 07:50 AM
07/15/22 07:50 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
Bob is absolutely right about having a properly mated trap for transfer. Hit it right on all counts. I always steered away from transfer for fear of losing a chuck. Had a small one beat me out of the gate one day, but managed to chase him down after all. I did lose one this year on a transfer using a powered lock ring trap that I made and had only used a couple of times. I was so used to 12 years of the powered door traps that never open that I totally forgot about the trap at hand. When I rolled the trap over the rings dropped, of course, and he just backed out. Felt kinda foolish. Da. Senior moment, my fault. Is 70 middle age?

I do now transfer a lot using a proper trap with divider tools for making the compartments, which allows for as many compartments as I need and of whatever size I want them to be. Always have to be careful since chucks will often blast out and slam the other end, which can take a transfer cage off the tailgate if you are not holding on to it. Probably safer on the ground. As mentioned above, it is nice to return the smelly trap to the location. I used to shoot the chucks when I got home, then hose the traps down, which was lot more work and counter productive.

Always nice when a client calls in a few minutes after setting for a chuck. Have had times when the phone rings before I'm a mile away. Evening is a great time to check, when they are feeding as you will see chucks and find holes in brush or deep grass that were not initially apparent to set and catch them in minutes.

Re: Comstock scores again. 1.5 hours after setup [Re: Bob Jameson] #7627408
07/15/22 03:52 PM
07/15/22 03:52 PM
Tennessee
T
TNADC Offline OP
trapper
TNADC  Offline OP
trapper
T

Tennessee
I use a divider when transferring. Quarter him off in the trap and slide the transfer over him. Remove the divider and chase him into the transfer trap. Put the divider back down and close up the trap. Seemed to work ok. Of course a .22 to the top of the head would have work too, but the customer was hanging around.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread