No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: So let's buy an electric car [Re: Jurassic Park] #7629700
07/18/22 03:32 PM
07/18/22 03:32 PM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
I don’t think a $50,000 loan for an electric vehicle is going to cost more than a $50,000 loan for a gasoline vehicle.

2022 Ford F150 here can cost you $90,000 depending on the package and all the extras you want with it. Trudeau or Biden doesn’t have a roll in that.

For the record, I’m not an electric car kinda guy and the idea of electric vehicles being the new future and getting rid of gasoline vehicles is retarded.

I just never understood the whole “blame the President for everything bad” thing.

Biden and his woke cronies started this entire mess we are in and yes I am blaming them.

Re: So let's buy an electric car [Re: Jurassic Park] #7629705
07/18/22 03:42 PM
07/18/22 03:42 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Cost of living goes up. So it’s fair to say that today things are more expensive than they were last year and so on. So it’s easy for you to blame the current President. If Trump or any other Republican becomes President in the future will you be ok paying that loan?

But, it's his actions that have cost Americans more. Shutting down the Keystone Pipeline was something he did that is costing us more at the pump. Don't blame the Ukraine war as the cause either. Gas prices were going up before the war. The cost of fuel is one of the main causes of higher prices. The cost for diesel fuel for farmers in my area has doubled. Do we expect them to keep selling their crops for the same price? Truckers are experiencing the same thing. Are we to expect them to lose money by not raising their delivery prices when their cost of fuel has doubled? We were energy independent before he took office.

Must be nice to eat ice cream as fast as you want and not have to worry about brain freeze.
Re: So let's buy an electric car [Re: bowhunter27295] #7629721
07/18/22 03:58 PM
07/18/22 03:58 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I work with a guy that has bought then traded every two years (sometimes only one year) since we’ve been working together for the last 24 years. He complains that he wished he could’ve retired once the election was over because we both knew the direction it was headed.
He’s had a $500-700 truck payment for the last 24 years! And what makes it worse is every time he got something new, his wife had to have something new, so say $1000-1400 every month for 24 years, lol. So $1200 x 288 months = $345,600. That’s just car payments.
I’m driving a 2000 F150 with 448K miles. No, I wouldn’t take it on a long trip, but it does just fine for an everyday vehicle. I don’t think my buddy has ever put over 10,000 miles on a vehicle since I’ve known him.
As far as an electric vehicle, maybe for putting around town or just driving back and forth to work, but that’s what they make golf carts for in my little community.

Re: So let's buy an electric car [Re: bowhunter27295] #7629739
07/18/22 04:11 PM
07/18/22 04:11 PM
NY
Canvasback2 Offline
trapper
Canvasback2  Offline
trapper

NY
CNG is the way to go !

Friend has a Ford 350 with CNG. Gets his Natural Gas for FREE!, because he has a Natural Gas storage field on his property. In return for allowing the storage field on his property ; he gets FREE Natural Gas for his home and his truck!

Not a bad deal ..

Re: So let's buy an electric car [Re: Boco] #7629740
07/18/22 04:14 PM
07/18/22 04:14 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Boco
Originally Posted by BernieB.
I was in Fargo the other day at a Casey's where they have six charging stations. There were 4 Tesla cars charging while the owners were in the coffee shop. One of them had Virginia plates. Gotta wonder how long it takes you to go across the country at that rate. Imagine if you pulled in and all six of them were taken! How long would you be there? 3-4 hours or more? I hate waiting even 15 minutes at a gas pump.

I certainly think there is certainly a place for these cars and it's inevitable. But they are not for everyone, or every use that's for sure.

One fellow that works in the mine with my son has a tesla electric car.he has had it for a number of years now,and uses it in winter and summer.
last year he drove out to the west coast and back-no problems with the car or travelling.
He had to put on a new set of tires so far.

You could make the trip on a bicycle and on foot also with no problems. That does not mean it's not inconvenient and requires special planning and allowances. Knowing where charging stations are and planing routes that go to them close enough together even it it's not the way you want to go and allowing hours to charge.

Re: So let's buy an electric car [Re: Canvasback2] #7629745
07/18/22 04:17 PM
07/18/22 04:17 PM
new york
M
mike mason Offline
trapper
mike mason  Offline
trapper
M

new york
Originally Posted by Canvasback2
CNG is the way to go !

Friend has a Ford 350 with CNG. Gets his Natural Gas for FREE!, because he has a Natural Gas storage field on his property. In return for allowing the storage field on his property ; he gets FREE Natural Gas for his home and his truck!

Not a bad deal ..

If the US converted OTR trucks to CNG, look at the petroleum we would save. The greenbeans would freak out because we would have to frac! I would love this plan, full speed ahead like landing a man on the moon. It can be done, and we would be truly energy independent.

Re: So let's buy an electric car [Re: bowhunter27295] #7629795
07/18/22 05:30 PM
07/18/22 05:30 PM
Southern Indiana
P
Pressure9pa Offline
trapper
Pressure9pa  Offline
trapper
P

Southern Indiana
For my day job I work in the manufacture of metallic auto parts, so I've listened to a lot of presentations by the automotive companies on e-mobility. Here are some basics:

Transportation accounts for about 10% of global carbon emissions. However, it's the piece that the consumer sees, so it's a very popular pitch for politicians.

100% e-vehicle is not practical, nor is any auto company assuming it will happen. First, there is not enough discovered copper to be recycled or mined to cover a global 100% electric fleet. (https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/new...mp;cvid=ae389e3b9e944fbdb4563d8c7758208c)

Driving range is an issue that is improving, but improving slowly. It's tough in a lot of places to take an electric vehicle across the Rockies, and the infrastructure would be slow to catch up.

100% consumer plug ins would require substantial grid improvements at the most local substations.

However ...

Automakers see a definite target with two-vehicle urban/suburban families, with the goal of selling them one e-vehicle and one ICE/hybrid. They believe that between urban consumer who don't travel far anyway and the two-vehicle homes, getting one-third of the developed world market to e-mobility by 2035 is realistic. Between the natural growth of the segment and the rising percentages, this makes for a sustainable business model.

The true zero emission solution would be fuel cells, but current technology does not allow them to be affordable nor safe in a collision. I see mixed answers on fuel cells replacing e-vehicles.

Tight range vehicles for public transportation and similar are very easy to cut over, and provide some of the justification for infrastructure build -- in urban areas only.

So if we listen to the market, and not the politicians, I think it's very fair to say that electric vehicles are very much part of the future. They aren't the absolute future. Microwaves didn't replace the kitchen range, but they reduced the reliance upon them. The microwave is your better choice for re-heating soup, the range is your best choice for cooking a turkey. The EV will probably be a better choice for a ten mile suburban commute, the ICE will be a better choice for a 300 mile vacation. You just have to block out the noise that implies combustion engines are disappearing. They'll be phased out in things like lawn equipment and power tools, but they aren't going the way of the dodo.

Re: So let's buy an electric car [Re: Providence Farm] #7629799
07/18/22 05:37 PM
07/18/22 05:37 PM
Eastern W by God V
Crowfoot Offline
trapper
Crowfoot  Offline
trapper

Eastern W by God V
Originally Posted by Providence Farm

You could make the trip on a bicycle and on foot also with no problems. That does not mean it's not inconvenient and requires special planning and allowances. Knowing where charging stations are and planing routes that go to them close enough together even it it's not the way you want to go and allowing hours to charge.

..... and the likelihood of waiting in line. Better carry along a lunch. Be like the Donner party waiting for the snow to melt.

Re: So let's buy an electric car [Re: BernieB.] #7629835
07/18/22 06:43 PM
07/18/22 06:43 PM
Montana/Florida
G
Gene Dziza Offline
trapper
Gene Dziza  Offline
trapper
G

Montana/Florida
Originally Posted by BernieB.
I was in Fargo the other day at a Casey's where they have six charging stations. There were 4 Tesla cars charging while the owners were in the coffee shop. One of them had Virginia plates. Gotta wonder how long it takes you to go across the country at that rate. Imagine if you pulled in and all six of them were taken! How long would you be there? 3-4 hours or more? I hate waiting even 15 minutes at a gas pump.

I certainly think there is certainly a place for these cars and it's inevitable. But they are not for everyone, or every use that's for sure.

They're actually really nice on a cross country trip Bernie. When you enter your desination the car will calculate where you need to charge and give you directions. As you approach the charging station, it will tell you how many charging ports are open and how long your charge will take. They're always, at least in my experience, right off the interstate. I have not yet waited for a charger and have not taken over 20 minutes. You have enough time to use a bathroom and get something to eat or drink. Your phone tells you how many minutes you have left. When you charge, you just take it and plug it in. The charger recognizes your car and charges your credit card. Most charges are about $15.00. If you're pulling a lot of miles in rural areas, these things are not there yet. They will be, but not yet.

I recently priced out a new Ford Lightning. I hung a bunch of options on it and the price came out to $45,000. I'm sure that was after tax rebates. You can go online and "build" one and they'll quote you a price. I don't really believe that price though, and it is a jump in price to get a longer range. I'm currently in Florida and my Tesla is in Montana but I wish I had it with me. I want to wait a bit, but I'll get an electric pickup for down here. Oh, and the home charger was $2500.00 and another $1000.00 or so to get it wired.

I can't see myself not owning a diesel pickup but I'm affraid of what is going to happen to fuel prices as EV's gain in popularity. My diesel won't be my daily driver. Every car manufacturer is tripping over themselves to develop EV technology and they're coming.

Re: So let's buy an electric car [Re: bowhunter27295] #7629847
07/18/22 06:52 PM
07/18/22 06:52 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
I work in the petroleum industry, installing tanks, pumps and complete builds on convienence stores. We've got more business than we can handle. Gasoline is not going away anytime soon.

Re: So let's buy an electric car [Re: Providence Farm] #7629855
07/18/22 07:03 PM
07/18/22 07:03 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
PF,You obviously never drove across Canada,lol.

Last edited by Boco; 07/18/22 07:03 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: So let's buy an electric car [Re: hippie] #7629861
07/18/22 07:13 PM
07/18/22 07:13 PM
MONTANA
M
MTHunter Offline
trapper
MTHunter  Offline
trapper
M

MONTANA
Originally Posted by hippie
Question?????

Can the batteries from these cars be recycled, or are they hazardous waste?

From what I’ve read, batteries can’t be recycled and are a hazardous waste like the lithium mine and over their lifetime, produce more CO2 than cars.

A new Lithium battery only costs $16,000.

Re: So let's buy an electric car [Re: bowhunter27295] #7629940
07/18/22 09:14 PM
07/18/22 09:14 PM
ontario
G
grampy Offline
trapper
grampy  Offline
trapper
G

ontario
can someone tell me how to activate the " ignore" button. Tks

Re: So let's buy an electric car [Re: bowhunter27295] #7629965
07/18/22 09:36 PM
07/18/22 09:36 PM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline
trapper
N

New Hampshire
[Linked Image]

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: So let's buy an electric car [Re: bowhunter27295] #7629973
07/18/22 09:55 PM
07/18/22 09:55 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Yep, Nessy, or the Chinese deciding to restrict lithium and other components to anyone they want, along with anything else they now own the production of.

Re: So let's buy an electric car [Re: bowhunter27295] #7630013
07/18/22 10:56 PM
07/18/22 10:56 PM
Duluth, MN
C
Clark Offline
trapper
Clark  Offline
trapper
C

Duluth, MN
JP, you’re trying to talk sense into someone who wants to believe their position is justified through some very creative bargaining on an unrelated topic. He could have also compared the cost of a ~$28K Nissan Leaf but that wouldn’t fit the agenda. Or talked about gas prices. But instead he is able to connect unrelated topics in a manner that mere mortals like you and me will never understand.

Bernie is correct. Electric vehicles aren't for everyone but their application is becoming greater. You don’t have to hate them just because you don’t understand them. I do love the meme about doubling the price of electricity. My coworker charges his Leaf for something like $1.25. Go ahead and double the price and his cost/mile will still be much lower than a gas vehicle.

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. -Albert Einstein
Re: So let's buy an electric car [Re: Clark] #7630020
07/18/22 11:19 PM
07/18/22 11:19 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Clark
JP, you’re trying to talk sense into someone who wants to believe their position is justified through some very creative bargaining on an unrelated topic. He could have also compared the cost of a ~$28K Nissan Leaf but that wouldn’t fit the agenda. Or talked about gas prices. But instead he is able to connect unrelated topics in a manner that mere mortals like you and me will never understand.

Bernie is correct. Electric vehicles aren't for everyone but their application is becoming greater. You don’t have to hate them just because you don’t understand them. I do love the meme about doubling the price of electricity. My coworker charges his Leaf for something like $1.25. Go ahead and double the price and his cost/mile will still be much lower than a gas vehicle.

Ther are allready rolling black outs because the grid can't Handel the current usage. In California they have asked people not to charge their cars some days. At the same time they are shutting coal power plants down. It's not hard to see its not a good combination.

Last edited by Providence Farm; 07/18/22 11:20 PM.
Re: So let's buy an electric car [Re: bowhunter27295] #7630050
07/18/22 11:57 PM
07/18/22 11:57 PM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Better do your homework before sign up for hose electric cars. NIGHTMARE in hiding

Climate change advocates push electric vehicles, arguing they help save the planet and save consumers money over time.

But one Florida family just learned that is not always true.
What happened?

Avery Siwinski, a 17-year-old from St. Petersburg, loved her electric Ford Focus. Her parents spent $11,000 on the used vehicle, a 2014 with 60,000 miles on the odometer. Siwinski described her wheels as "small and quiet and cute."

Then one day, just six months after her parents purchased the vehicle, it suddenly stopped working.

"In March, it started giving an alert," Siwinski told WTSP-TV. "And then we took it to the shop and it stopped running."

The car, according to mechanics, needed a new battery. Unfortunately, a local Ford dealership said replacing the battery will cost $14,000 — and that figure did not even include labor costs. The dealership even made an embarrassing offer of $500 for the vehicle.

But, according to Siwinski's grandfather Ray, the story gets worse.

Weeks after learning a battery replacement costs more than the car itself, Ray Siwinski learned owners of the electric Ford Focus cannot even buy replacement batteries. Ford discontinued production of the vehicle several years ago.

Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Andrew Lang (1844-1912) Scottish poet, novelist and literary critic

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .
Re: So let's buy an electric car [Re: bowhunter27295] #7630057
07/19/22 12:15 AM
07/19/22 12:15 AM
wyoming southeast
D
danvee Offline
trapper
danvee  Offline
trapper
D

wyoming southeast
$80,000 pickups and pleased dont become a farmer, you dont even want to know what the machinery cost.

Re: So let's buy an electric car [Re: Jurassic Park] #7630137
07/19/22 07:28 AM
07/19/22 07:28 AM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
Originally Posted by bowhunter27295

It is quite obvious from your response you are doing one of two things.

You are either deflecting or you don't understand what is going on in the US and the world.

Go back and re-read my post and see if you can get the gist of my point. You are definitely way off the mark.

You seem to be upset that you can’t afford to pay a loan. You’re starting to sound like people on welfare upset because they can’t afford the finer things in life.

Because you can’t afford the loan, you’re blaming joey.

Sounding a lot like the girls on The View complaining about Trump.

Of course you don’t see it the way I do, you’re the one whining about the loan payment.

I know the majority on here would agree, if you can’t afford it, don’t buy it. And if you want it bad enough work some overtime or get a better paying job and go get it.

You sound like the burger flippers wanting $15/hour.

You watch the View? What a surprise!

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread