No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Need Herbicide recomendation [Re: huntcook] #7635325
07/26/22 08:08 AM
07/26/22 08:08 AM
Iowa
B
beeman Offline OP
trapper
beeman  Offline OP
trapper
B

Iowa
Originally Posted by huntcook
Beeman are you a bee person with bee hives just asking.

No longer have hives. I became allergic to bee venom.

Re: Need Herbicide recomendation [Re: beeman] #7635811
07/26/22 07:40 PM
07/26/22 07:40 PM
North central Iowa
B
Bob_Iowa Offline
trapper
Bob_Iowa  Offline
trapper
B

North central Iowa
As far as finding pramitol any elevator or chemical dealer should be able to get it as far as price I haven’t asked and right now who knows.

Re: Need Herbicide recomendation [Re: beeman] #7635929
07/26/22 10:29 PM
07/26/22 10:29 PM
ND
K
Kyle Krebs Offline
trapper
Kyle Krebs  Offline
trapper
K

ND
Get yourself a couple goats!!

Re: Need Herbicide recomendation [Re: Kyle Krebs] #7635944
07/26/22 11:04 PM
07/26/22 11:04 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
If you choose the goats unless you tether them the fence you will need to build will cost many times more than any chemical method you choose. Pulling by hand would be an option better than goats to me. Our son and daughter in law have two and we finally built them a separate pen with our pig panels. We ran them with the sheep for a couple years and they were out all the time. Living near a county road and a busy town road intersection we did not need a flock out on the highway.
We penned them near the garden and I feed them all the plants after I harvest. Right now they are chewing up the brocolli plants right down to the roots.
Bryce

Re: Need Herbicide recomendation [Re: beeman] #7635959
07/26/22 11:32 PM
07/26/22 11:32 PM
Southern NJ
maintenanceguy Offline
trapper
maintenanceguy  Offline
trapper

Southern NJ
Roundup (Glysophate) is absorbed by green parts of the plant and stops photosynthesis. One of the great things about it is that you can spray it on the trunks or above the roots of trees and other woody plants and it won't hurt them as long as you don't get it on the leaves. The bad part of roundup is that it doesn't have any residual action and only works on the plants that were sprayed. Any seeds will sprout and you'll have new weeds.

Pramitol is the go to to if you want long term control. Up to a year following the recommendations on the label. There have been people reporting up to 5 years of control by applying it heavier than the label recommends. The problems with pramitol is that (1) it can move in the soil. I've used it to make a 6" wide strip along chain link fence and ended up with an 18" wide strip. Not terrible but it moves a bit. (2) erosion. Ground with no vegetation will erode. I've see photos of fence lines laying on the ground because the soil around the fence line was washed away. (3) you can't spray it around trees because it is absorbed by the roots. You can spray roundup right up to the trunk and not hurt the tree. Spray Pramitol under the leaf canopy and you'll kill the tree.

I really like Surflan. The only thing it does is stop seeds from germinating. It doesn't kill anything that's already sprouted. It's safe to spray on the ground around trees. I mix roundup with surflan. roundup kills what's growing now and the surflan stops seeds from sprouting. If you spray the mixture around a tree or even on the trunk, it doesn't hurt the tree. It binds to the soil so it doesn't move. It gives up to 12 months control. If you have a lot of rainfall, you may only get 6 months of control. Before round ready corn was a thing surflan was often used on corn as soon as the corn sprouted to prevent any weed competition. It didn't hurt the corn plants, just stopped weed seeds in the ground from sprouting.

-Ryan
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread