No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Bait and lure for muskrats [Re: Turtledale] #7645569
08/08/22 10:04 PM
08/08/22 10:04 PM
South Dakota
T
TheYouthTrapper Offline OP
trapper
TheYouthTrapper  Offline OP
trapper
T

South Dakota
Originally Posted by Turtledale
For lure I found poplar bud oil works
I store the lure in my coat pocket while trapping

I was assuming people stored it in their wader/coat pocket but just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing it wrong.

Re: Bait and lure for muskrats [Re: Strut10] #7645572
08/08/22 10:05 PM
08/08/22 10:05 PM
South Dakota
T
trapper
trapper
T

South Dakota
Originally Posted by Strut10
Always just used a 1/4 of an apple on a stick. Used a drop of Hawbaker's oil apple (don't know if it's even made anymore) on the slice for a while. Not sure it was necessary or helped any more than just the apple slice.

I'm going to be using mainly apples and I'm the same way, I use both bait and lure even though some people just use bait.

Re: Bait and lure for muskrats [Re: 2cylinder] #7645573
08/08/22 10:06 PM
08/08/22 10:06 PM
South Dakota
T
trapper
trapper
T

South Dakota
Originally Posted by 2cylinder
I've used carrots before on triggers of 110s under ice. I've always used lenons or carmans mcl100 as my lure and just keep it in my wader pockets

That's what I've seen quite a few guys on youtube running for under the ice.

Re: Bait and lure for muskrats [Re: Nittany Lion] #7645575
08/08/22 10:07 PM
08/08/22 10:07 PM
South Dakota
T
trapper
trapper
T

South Dakota
Originally Posted by Nittany Lion
Not sure I ever caught a muskrat using bait or lure, I seldom used it. I probably tried it when I was first trapping 65 years ago. Once I learned a little about trapping muskrats I found it wasn't necessary.

I can't find the runs or feedbeds since they just don't exist, I just found my first exit and crossover a couple days ago and that was a surprise.

Re: Bait and lure for muskrats [Re: jbyrd63] #7645576
08/08/22 10:08 PM
08/08/22 10:08 PM
South Dakota
T
trapper
trapper
T

South Dakota
Originally Posted by jbyrd63
I just cut a hole out in the bank sit a trap in front of it Collect the rat next morning

Do they think it's a culvert or are they just drawn to it?

Re: Bait and lure for muskrats [Re: K52] #7645580
08/08/22 10:09 PM
08/08/22 10:09 PM
South Dakota
T
trapper
trapper
T

South Dakota
Originally Posted by K52
It might be different where you live but if I use any kind of lure on a rat set a coon will be there the next morning, and have the area around the set destroyed. I learned this years ago. I don’t really think my take has been hurt at all by not using lure and it’s one less thing to mess with.

I would love to find a 10$ coon in one of my floats or hagz sets. The coons have so much food around that they won't go after it unless they really need it.

Re: Bait and lure for muskrats [Re: The Beav] #7645582
08/08/22 10:10 PM
08/08/22 10:10 PM
South Dakota
T
trapper
trapper
T

South Dakota
Originally Posted by The Beav
Here's the way I see It.
You find a rat toilet or feed bed and you set them. Now your only going to catch ONE rat at those locations. But If you make several lured sets close by those locations your going to catch more then ONE rat. Those feed beds and toilets are being used by more then ONE rat.

That's how I see it as well and that's if I can find a feedbed or run which aren't very common around me.

Re: Bait and lure for muskrats [Re: bblwi] #7645585
08/08/22 10:11 PM
08/08/22 10:11 PM
South Dakota
T
trapper
trapper
T

South Dakota
Originally Posted by bblwi
Open water marshes I use neither. On rivers and streams where I find the longer feed beds under the overhangs I use a homemade lure dipped in a Q tip. I put Q tips in a container with a lid and pour in some lure. I can carry several dozen that way. Under ice body grippers I use colored duct tape, orange works better for me than red, green or white.

Bryce

I've seen people using surveyor's tape for baited conibears under the ice and it seems deadly.

Re: Bait and lure for muskrats [Re: TheYouthTrapper] #7645618
08/08/22 10:50 PM
08/08/22 10:50 PM
Province of Ontario, Canada
H
Hunter 1 Offline
trapper
Hunter 1  Offline
trapper
H

Province of Ontario, Canada
I keep it very simple, in Spring I snip tip of apple tree branches and put several sticks in peanut butter jar.

No issues with catching coon and the rats go for it in no time. It is cheep and it works.

When setting under ice, I use a carrot on 110 and 120 and set two to three inches under ice surface. I have also set under ice with a piece of carrot wired to pan of on leghold traps (along edge) and also caught them this way.

I don't bother using lures for rats.

Hunter 1

Re: Bait and lure for muskrats [Re: The Beav] #7645660
08/09/22 12:51 AM
08/09/22 12:51 AM
South metro, MN
C
Calvin Online content
trapper
Calvin  Online Content
trapper
C

South metro, MN
Here's the way I see It.
You find a rat toilet or feed bed and you set them. Now your only going to catch ONE rat at those locations. But If you make several lured sets close by those locations your going to catch more then ONE rat. Those feed beds and toilets are being used by more then ONE rat.

Must be different rats over there, Beave. I catch rat after rat on feedbeds and toilets (no lure/bait). I'll take a feedpad over a house any time. Yes, some are one or two (like huts) but just as many are 3 or 4 or 5 rats using that pad. And if that one runs dry quick, another one has usually popped up so it's just a matter of moving the trap. A feedbed is usually much faster to set than a hut, too.

By the time you dink around with rat lure, you could have set another trap. Not to mention tracking down coon that are also attracted to rat lure (probably more than a rat is). And be sure your rat lure doesn't have castor in it (some do). Then you have the issue of beaver in your rat traps.

I quit using rat lures years ago. My catch didn't go down, it went up. That said, every location is different. I see a few places every year that a rat lure "May" help. But those are also coon locations...sooo.

PM me for the best float bait I've used in the dakotas Youthtrapper. Nobody has ever touched on it here. Carrots are a poor rat bait, IMO. They do attract rats, but rats really don't like them once they bite into them much...which granted is usually too late.

Re: Bait and lure for muskrats [Re: Calvin] #7645666
08/09/22 01:38 AM
08/09/22 01:38 AM
South Dakota
T
trapper
trapper
T

South Dakota
Originally Posted by Calvin
Here's the way I see It.

Must be different rats over there, Beave. I catch rat after rat on feedbeds and toilets (no lure/bait). I'll take a feedpad over a house any time. Yes, some are one or two (like huts) but just as many are 3 or 4 or 5 rats using that pad. And if that one runs dry quick, another one has usually popped up so it's just a matter of moving the trap. A feedbed is usually much faster to set than a hut, too.

By the time you dink around with rat lure, you could have set another trap. Not to mention tracking down coon that are also attracted to rat lure (probably more than a rat is). And be sure your rat lure doesn't have castor in it (some do). Then you have the issue of beaver in your rat traps.

I quit using rat lures years ago. My catch didn't go down, it went up. That said, every location is different. I see a few places every year that a rat lure "May" help. But those are also coon locations...sooo.

PM me for the best float bait I've used in the dakotas Youthtrapper. Nobody has ever touched on it here. Carrots are a poor rat bait, IMO. They do attract rats, but rats really don't like them once they bite into them much...which granted is usually too late.

Around me we don't see very many toilets or feedbeds, so a lot of the time you have no choice but to use lure/bait. Pm sent.

Re: Bait and lure for muskrats [Re: TheYouthTrapper] #7645998
08/09/22 02:42 PM
08/09/22 02:42 PM
Pennsylvania
P
patrapperbuster Offline
trapper
patrapperbuster  Offline
trapper
P

Pennsylvania
[quote=TheYouthTrapper]What bait do you guys use for rats? I'm thinking of using pumpkins, apples, and carrots this year and was wondering if anyone else had tried these. Also going to be running Rat Checkmate and a few other random lures with the bait and was wondering how you guys stored the lure while driving around in the truck. Thanks in advance!

A farmer that grows pumpkins dumps some near a creek & muskrats chew holes in them so they like them. I personally dont use lure for muskrats anymore because it draws too many coons

Till that day.....
Re: Bait and lure for muskrats [Re: patrapperbuster] #7646025
08/09/22 03:39 PM
08/09/22 03:39 PM
South Dakota
T
trapper
trapper
T

South Dakota
Originally Posted by patrapperbuster
[quote=TheYouthTrapper]What bait do you guys use for rats? I'm thinking of using pumpkins, apples, and carrots this year and was wondering if anyone else had tried these. Also going to be running Rat Checkmate and a few other random lures with the bait and was wondering how you guys stored the lure while driving around in the truck. Thanks in advance!

A farmer that grows pumpkins dumps some near a creek & muskrats chew holes in them so they like them. I personally dont use lure for muskrats anymore because it draws too many coons

A lot of guys seem to have issues with coons and muskrat lure, luckily they hang out in the tree belts and stay away from sloughs most of the time.

Re: Bait and lure for muskrats [Re: TheYouthTrapper] #7646126
08/09/22 07:13 PM
08/09/22 07:13 PM
southern Indiana
blackoak Offline
trapper
blackoak  Offline
trapper

southern Indiana
Take your boot and stomp out a spot along the water's edge that will hold a number 1 long spring put it on a slide wire to drown and throw a hand full of field corn on it. You will catch both rats and coons

Re: Bait and lure for muskrats [Re: TheYouthTrapper] #7646155
08/09/22 07:51 PM
08/09/22 07:51 PM
Pennsylvania
P
patrapperbuster Offline
trapper
patrapperbuster  Offline
trapper
P

Pennsylvania
Under ice or underwater I have used slices of peeled potato on 110 triggers

Till that day.....
Re: Bait and lure for muskrats [Re: TheYouthTrapper] #7646184
08/09/22 08:42 PM
08/09/22 08:42 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Most baits like potatoes and apples lose their color pretty fast once under water. Sure they work but a better choice would be using some of that plastic corrugated sign material. It slides right on to the trigger wires and It's water proof and holds It's color well.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Bait and lure for muskrats [Re: The Beav] #7646186
08/09/22 08:43 PM
08/09/22 08:43 PM
South Dakota
T
trapper
trapper
T

South Dakota
Most baits like potatoes and apples lose their color pretty fast once under water. Sure they work but a better choice would be using some of that plastic corrugated sign material. It slides right on to the trigger wires and It's water proof and holds It's color well.

Like what the political signs are made out of?

Re: Bait and lure for muskrats [Re: TheYouthTrapper] #7646187
08/09/22 08:44 PM
08/09/22 08:44 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Yes

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Bait and lure for muskrats [Re: The Beav] #7646189
08/09/22 08:48 PM
08/09/22 08:48 PM
South Dakota
T
trapper
trapper
T

South Dakota
Yes

That's a good idea, I know some people use them to make mink pans but never thought of this.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread