ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Marmot ADC job, questions for anyone w/ experience #7646327
08/10/22 02:44 AM
08/10/22 02:44 AM
Utah
S
Sirjonvh Offline OP
trapper
Sirjonvh  Offline OP
trapper
S

Utah
Here is some background im doing a marmot adc job right now. The job is located in a fairly large town. The marmots are located in a large maybe 10 acre field split about 1/3, 2/3rds with a dry ditch. The field is flanked by commercial business. I have noticed marmots on this property for at least 5 years. The amount of sign (trails, dens and scat) is very impressive.

After about a month process, before I could set traps the field, that is planted with pasture grass, has been cut and bailed.

I've had cage traps set for about a week now and the only thing I have connected with is a skunk. The only other animal I've seen are a few farrel cats. I'm using carrots, apples and other vegetables as bait. I'm setting on sign.

It almost appears that they have all absconded. We have had a few days of heavy rain. Does anyone have any advice or experience with this? Again the amount of sign surly indicates a large population.

Thank you,
Jonathan

Last edited by Sirjonvh; 08/10/22 02:45 AM.
Re: Marmot ADC job, questions for anyone w/ experience [Re: Sirjonvh] #7646409
08/10/22 07:34 AM
08/10/22 07:34 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
If you set the trails blind and baited cages, collect as much scat as you can get to place in each trap. I would suggest a good woodchuck bait/ lure/trailing scent to be used in some and see what the placements and set ups produce.

Marmots are basically like our Eastern groundhogs/woodchucks. Most likely they have a similar diet on your native grasses/plants.

Are conibears an option. Set a couple trail cams for a few days on what appears as active areas and see what is going on there.

Re: Marmot ADC job, questions for anyone w/ experience [Re: Sirjonvh] #7646480
08/10/22 10:15 AM
08/10/22 10:15 AM
Utah
S
Sirjonvh Offline OP
trapper
Sirjonvh  Offline OP
trapper
S

Utah
Unfortunately I have to catch and release. I will try a few trail cameras, thank you.

Re: Marmot ADC job, questions for anyone w/ experience [Re: Sirjonvh] #7646574
08/10/22 12:24 PM
08/10/22 12:24 PM
N Central Iowa 40+
iayogi17 Offline
trapper
iayogi17  Offline
trapper

N Central Iowa 40+
what type of cage trap are you using?

Brad Mohr
Re: Marmot ADC job, questions for anyone w/ experience [Re: iayogi17] #7648951
08/13/22 12:52 PM
08/13/22 12:52 PM
Utah
S
Sirjonvh Offline OP
trapper
Sirjonvh  Offline OP
trapper
S

Utah
I run Wickenkamp Live Traps.

Re: Marmot ADC job, questions for anyone w/ experience [Re: Sirjonvh] #7648956
08/13/22 01:04 PM
08/13/22 01:04 PM
Utah
S
Sirjonvh Offline OP
trapper
Sirjonvh  Offline OP
trapper
S

Utah
I have trail cameras up. I also walked the entire area a buried all of the burrow entrance, over 20, I want to see if any are active the next few days. I'm starting to think that someone may have trapped it out this spring. I found rebar stakes at two of the burrow entrance.

I have a message with the business RP. I have a few questions. Some of which I probably should have already asked.

Has anyone else trapped this before?
When was the last eye witnesses sighting?

It's kind of a odd job as the party that hired me is not the owner of the property where everythinglives. It's owned by a real-estate company. It's leased to a farmer whom cuts and bails paster grass. It's dry farmed. I'm wondering if the farmer trapped it, or maybe even the city.

At any rate I have some investigating to do. I'm fairly confident that other then skunks, Raccoons and farrel cats it's empty. We will see. Thanks.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread