Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
The big ring? #7659016
08/27/22 02:16 AM
08/27/22 02:16 AM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline OP
trapper
Yukon John  Offline OP
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
Ok, in my time here, I haven't seen a thread on the big ring that is on some of these older traps. What is the best method to use them? Is it admonishment to simply cut them off to use the trap at my own discretion? I can obviously hook them to any earth anchor I have, but it would take a giant washer on a stake to keep them from slipping off. Serious question, tell me what I'm missing.

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: The big ring? [Re: Yukon John] #7659023
08/27/22 02:32 AM
08/27/22 02:32 AM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
On the small longsprings like the 1 and 1 1/2, it was common to drive a wood stake, often a beaver stick, through them. Either driving down a tapered stake until they were tight (or there was a fork in it) or simply using a stake long enough that there was no chance of the mink, muskrat, etc. of pulling over the top. Not uncommon for people to do the same with conibears set in the water. Alternatively those big rings were easy to wire off if you were using them for something like marten or weasel. They are handy to hang the traps from during the offseason also. I can't see a use for them on something like a canine trap, and from my observation they are much less common on those traps. Many new bodygrips still come with them on the end of the chain, I'm unaware of any new footholds that do.

Most of them are light enough I would be leery of hooking them to an earth anchor for anything like a coyote. And I would assume they would get deformed badly from driving and pulling earth anchors if they were used to attach to them.

Re: The big ring? [Re: Yukon John] #7659030
08/27/22 03:04 AM
08/27/22 03:04 AM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline OP
trapper
Yukon John  Offline OP
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
Thank you bearcat2! Yes, they deform easily, and I really appreciate the vast insight on uses of yesteryear! These particular ones are on 3 dls, I have removed some n the past, but have made sure to do so in one piece! Absolutely love learning about the old ways, so that I can evolve the use of what I have into "modern" techniques!

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: The big ring? [Re: Yukon John] #7659061
08/27/22 07:02 AM
08/27/22 07:02 AM
Wisconsin
P
Pierce Offline
trapper
Pierce  Offline
trapper
P

Wisconsin
Some of mine have what looks like a fairly short cut nail on the big ring, and I've never found a use for them. They all seem too small to be a useful nail for anything.

Re: The big ring? [Re: Yukon John] #7659106
08/27/22 08:16 AM
08/27/22 08:16 AM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Online mad
trapper
BigBob  Online Mad
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
As I understand it, those "nails" are just that, they were pounded into "clogs", a piece of wood, to use as a drag, or into an exposed root.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: The big ring? [Re: Yukon John] #7659156
08/27/22 09:46 AM
08/27/22 09:46 AM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
I wish I had a good enough memory to tell you where I read about the “ nail “ but I can remember that it was used in conjunction with a wedge block for muskrat trapping. Guys were using a white or orange painted wooden block wedged against the stake , the “ nail “ was an aid in making the connection tight. When a rat was caught and dove for the bottom it pulled the trap ring and the nail came loose releasing the painted wedge and letting it fall into the water. Now the trapper can see from a distance if the set needs further investigation.

Anyone that remembers more or better details, please refresh my memory.

P.S. pictures are always great .

Last edited by Golf ball; 08/27/22 09:48 AM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91