No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Lab puppy $$$$$$ [Re: mudtracker] #7661221
08/30/22 09:44 AM
08/30/22 09:44 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Just putting this out there, but a dog is only as good as it’s trainer…

Re: Lab puppy $$$$$$ [Re: mudtracker] #7661237
08/30/22 10:06 AM
08/30/22 10:06 AM
NC - Here there and everywhere
C
coondagger2 Offline
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline
"Brat"
C

Do not pay $2000 for a lab puppy unless it comes from stellar pedigree lines. When I say stellar I mean multiple generations of FC's on both the sire and dam side. Not a junior hunter title here or there.

If you are looking for just a pet and not a working dog then you can find a cheaper dog fairly easily

Do not be fooled by these backyard breeders that crank out a litter every time their female is in heat. They will say the dogs are "healthy" and "come from hunting lines" but don't provide health clearances or pedigree. All they are breeding for is money and they are producing dogs with health issues that are diluting the Labrador breed. They will post a bunch of pictures with the puppies wearing clothes, red flag there.

Please only buy a lab puppy from someone who has done health testing on the parents. You don't want to pay money for a dog that is going to have issues down the road.

And for those that think people are making money off of high profile breeding, think again. To do it right you have the cost of the dog, the time of training, the cost of obtaining master level titles, training costs, the stud fee, the vet visits for the pregnancy, health testing for the dam, whelping costs for the puppies etc etc. The only reason to breed is to create another dog that you couldn't buy elsewhere. You breed for performance and take the hit on cost. No one with a high profile litter is making any money at 2k per pup, TRUST ME

Gotta live up to the nickname...
Re: Lab puppy $$$$$$ [Re: Dstone1992] #7661238
08/30/22 10:07 AM
08/30/22 10:07 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Dstone1992
Dog prices are outrageous. I agree with the statement people just breed to make a buck people breeding for good genetics are getting fewer and farther between. Labs now have tons of "allergies" and are being bred for color not long ago these dogs would have been culled. (Which they should be) I have 3 Deutsch Kurzhaar pups left from my litter that are still unspoken for. I'm getting 2k per pup and that 500-1500 less than what some of the guys are getting. My 2 cents is do your research seek out an old time breeder/ trainer who puts up with no b.s. and breeds for a better dog I wouldn't buy the most expensive dog but I wouldn't buy the cheapest either. [Linked Image]

Two of my best dogs ever were gsp. Born to retreave, could run around 40mph hunted close to mid range and no game bird could hide in a field. Would not win or place in NSTRA but I liked hunting them more than my 4x field champ male and female English setters that would place or win trials.

I goofed and sold one to finance a well bread great looking female setter to breed with my champ. My last one jumped the 4' fence each day and went 1/2mile down the road to play with the dogs there for 30 minutes. He got hit and killed. Someone was hitting dogs on purpose for a short time 4 got hit in my area in a few weeks. Other than that not a dog had gotten hit in the 12 years prior from any of the neighbors or mine. But mine stayed in the house or kennels unless letting then out to run when cleaning kennels.

Now we live on 96 acres and I have amazing habit and places to train and work dogs at home. But I'm gone working half a month and not home to take care of them and won't put them responsibility off on anyone else. We only have a small covey or two but I would build nice call back pens.

But there are not many Qual to hunt and few hunters so the market for trained dogs or pups would be limited and it would not take long before I was headed in that direction again.

Wise word coon dagger. I will add just because you breed two incredible dogs does not guarantee all the pups will be as good as there parents. It increases the odds and they will probably be good dogs but not the absolute greatest the breeder was looking for.

Last edited by Providence Farm; 08/30/22 10:17 AM.
Re: Lab puppy $$$$$$ [Re: mudtracker] #7661246
08/30/22 10:19 AM
08/30/22 10:19 AM
NY
R
Rat_Pack Offline
trapper
Rat_Pack  Offline
trapper
R

NY
True. Labs are intelligent and they want to make you happy. Use common sense techniques and make training fun and they will shine. If you want a good dog spend time with it

Re: Lab puppy $$$$$$ [Re: mudtracker] #7661249
08/30/22 10:30 AM
08/30/22 10:30 AM
SW MISSOURI
R
Rockfarmer Offline
trapper
Rockfarmer  Offline
trapper
R

SW MISSOURI
My neighbor has some. Don't know the price. Are you willing to travel to SW Missouri?

www.nationwidecartparts.com
3rd Infantry Division
1st Infantry Division
U.S. ARMY
Re: Lab puppy $$$$$$ [Re: mudtracker] #7661251
08/30/22 10:37 AM
08/30/22 10:37 AM
SW MISSOURI
R
Rockfarmer Offline
trapper
Rockfarmer  Offline
trapper
R

SW MISSOURI
She says 600 with papers, 300 without.

www.nationwidecartparts.com
3rd Infantry Division
1st Infantry Division
U.S. ARMY
Re: Lab puppy $$$$$$ [Re: Wanna Be] #7661258
08/30/22 10:51 AM
08/30/22 10:51 AM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Just putting this out there, but a dog is only as good as it’s trainer…

The dog can better than the trainer and vice-versa. A puppy is a crapshoot. Go for proven breeding and keep your fingers crossed.

Re: Lab puppy $$$$$$ [Re: mudtracker] #7661260
08/30/22 10:52 AM
08/30/22 10:52 AM
Wisconsin
G
Guss Offline
trapper
Guss  Offline
trapper
G

Wisconsin
Yeah same here it's like people think they have gold.

Re: Lab puppy $$$$$$ [Re: mudtracker] #7661266
08/30/22 11:01 AM
08/30/22 11:01 AM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware
I'll say this. My family and I have raised and trained various dogs from Llewellyn Setters, Labs, Beagles, to GSPs. Papers and cost don't necessarily mean it will be a good dog for its intended purpose. Papers just indicate the dog has a "supposedly" good genetic background. Cost is a subjective issue. I've seen dogs with outstanding pedigree papers that weren't worth the ink on the paper, and I've seen dogs come from an SPCA that were abandoned or deliberately given up that were great companions and hunting dogs. Before we ever sold a dog, we "interviewed" the prospective buyer. Watched how the pups reacted / interacted with that person. Never met a bad dog, . . . just bad owners and trainers. No matter reason someone wants a dog, they should remember "TPR". Time, Patience, and Repetition, . . . My .02 :-)

"Humans are the hardest people to get along with."
Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: Lab puppy $$$$$$ [Re: SJA] #7661282
08/30/22 11:19 AM
08/30/22 11:19 AM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by SJA
INever met a bad dog, . . . just bad owners and trainers. No matter reason someone wants a dog, they should remember "TPR". Time, Patience, and Repetition, . . . My .02 :-)

Solid advice. I bought a pointer pup thirty years ago and became good friends and hunting companions with two guys who bought dogs from the same litter. Two of the dogs were birdhunting fools and the third was a dud. Didn’t seem to have the desire or instincts for it. Luckily for me, the dud wasn't mine.

If you're looking for a good hunting dog, buy from proven stock and hopefully you'll get a good prospect.

Re: Lab puppy $$$$$$ [Re: mudtracker] #7661298
08/30/22 11:40 AM
08/30/22 11:40 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
My son went through an interview process and even a visit from the owners before he got his dog Lab, lol. Even signed a contract about training and breeding his dog. Some folks do actually care about the lineage.

Even the plantations down here are very specific about who breeds with what when it comes to cockers and pointers. It’s not about money, it’s about producing the best possible hunting stock.
Down here pointers are used only for pointing birds. At the shot they don’t move. Cockers that ride the wagons are then called and cast in the direction of the downed birds. As they find birds they take them back to the head guide. Once all birds are found he throws them down and they pick them up and take them back to the wagon where they’ll wait for the next covey and hopefully dead birds.

You don’t get good working dogs cheap. I will admit, there are exceptions to every rule. I believe the winner of the retriever series one year was a Lab that was bought from a newspaper add with no papers and was already 2 years old. I remember watching it on ESPN and the interview afterwards.

Re: Lab puppy $$$$$$ [Re: SJA] #7661307
08/30/22 11:56 AM
08/30/22 11:56 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by SJA
Papers and cost don't necessarily mean it will be a good dog for its intended purpose. Papers just indicate the dog has a "supposedly" good genetic background.

Right, AKC, CKC and UKC registrations (papers) show your dog is a purebred. The system isn't foolproof but that's what it's used for. A pedigree from one of those organizations will show you the names and accomplishments (if any) of the other purebreds in your dogs lineage going back as many generations that you wish to pay for. I think AKC will do three generations.

Eh...wot?

Re: Lab puppy $$$$$$ [Re: mudtracker] #7661310
08/30/22 12:00 PM
08/30/22 12:00 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
As many have said on this thread, getting a new pup is a crap shoot, you just never know what you're going to get until several months after you get it home. You can up your odds by buying papered pups from a reputable breeder. Even better if you meet the parents and see their pedigrees. Always good to meet the pups and perform some personality tests on them.

But you just never know.

Eh...wot?

Re: Lab puppy $$$$$$ [Re: Lugnut] #7661319
08/30/22 12:13 PM
08/30/22 12:13 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Lugnut
As many have said on this thread, getting a new pup is a crap shoot, you just never know what you're going to get until several months after you get it home. You can up your odds by buying papered pups from a reputable breeder. Even better if you meet the parents and see their pedigrees. Always good to meet the pups and perform some personality tests on them.

But you just never know.

My first German short-haired pointer I bought was 2 and well trained from a friend that bought trained and reader dogs like crazy. About a year later I called the dogs breeder on her papers and it turned out they were going to a game farm to earn their dogs that was 35 mis from me. I got to see my dogs parents in action
If I glad seen that and looking for a pup I would not have bought from them.

After they hunted their dogs I got out mine. She blew the doors off her parents event the breaders admitted on their own how much better she preformed. It was completely mind blowing how much higher caliber dog my girl was then her parents.

Re: Lab puppy $$$$$$ [Re: Providence Farm] #7661419
08/30/22 03:02 PM
08/30/22 03:02 PM
MO
D
Dstone1992 Offline
trapper
Dstone1992  Offline
trapper
D

MO
Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Originally Posted by Lugnut

But you just never know.

My first German short-haired pointer I bought was 2 and well trained from a friend that bought trained and reader dogs like crazy. About a year later I called the dogs breeder on her papers and it turned out they were going to a game farm to earn their dogs that was 35 mis from me. I got to see my dogs parents in action
If I glad seen that and looking for a pup I would not have bought from them.

After they hunted their dogs I got out mine. She blew the doors off her parents event the breaders admitted on their own how much better she preformed. It was completely mind blowing how much higher caliber dog my girl was then her parents.

Very similar story with my June dog. I think alot of it has to do with putting them on birds as much as you can. Yard work only goes so far. The breeder I got her from can show you a dozen dogs that will blow your mind in the yard but when we went to SD with them my ol June ran circles around them and she just runs the farm and sleeps on the couch but I take her to Iowa almost every weekend of pheasant season. Very little yard work just in the field mostly.

Re: Lab puppy $$$$$$ [Re: mudtracker] #7661423
08/30/22 03:08 PM
08/30/22 03:08 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
At least your not looking for a goldendoodle...those are very fashionable right now.

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: Lab puppy $$$$$$ [Re: Marty] #7661426
08/30/22 03:12 PM
08/30/22 03:12 PM
C
coondagger2 Offline
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline
"Brat"
C

Originally Posted by Marty
At least your not looking for a goldendoodle...those are very fashionable right now.

Don't get me started on those

If you want a mixed dog it better be free. Plenty of them at the shelter. No way I'm paying 2 grand for a mutt

Gotta live up to the nickname...
Re: Lab puppy $$$$$$ [Re: mudtracker] #7661433
08/30/22 03:29 PM
08/30/22 03:29 PM
WI
B
BvrRetriever Offline
trapper
BvrRetriever  Offline
trapper
B

WI
I’ve said it before, but truly great hounds are born, not trained. You can train the majority of hounds to at least do something.

A natural dog merely needs exposure and repetition. The best of the best know what to do by instinct alone. These are the ones that you should take the time to train what I call ‘handler’s preferences’ and put in the breeding pen. I will not breed a dog that is not natural.

Re: Lab puppy $$$$$$ [Re: mudtracker] #7661518
08/30/22 05:23 PM
08/30/22 05:23 PM
Southeast KY
K
K91773 Offline
trapper
K91773  Offline
trapper
K

Southeast KY
Kind of an off-topic question but my background in training is for police service dogs and man-tracking dogs, for those skills maybe 4 out of 10 have what it takes to make it and maybe 1 out of 10 will make a superior dog, and a lot of times that is not known until you have quite a bit of time and energy invested in the dog. Is that similar to what you are seeing with the hunting dogs or do you have a higher success rates?

Re: Lab puppy $$$$$$ [Re: K91773] #7661563
08/30/22 06:16 PM
08/30/22 06:16 PM
MO
D
Dstone1992 Offline
trapper
Dstone1992  Offline
trapper
D

MO
Originally Posted by K91773
Kind of an off-topic question but my background in training is for police service dogs and man-tracking dogs, for those skills maybe 4 out of 10 have what it takes to make it and maybe 1 out of 10 will make a superior dog, and a lot of times that is not known until you have quite a bit of time and energy invested in the dog. Is that similar to what you are seeing with the hunting dogs or do you have a higher success rates?

Depends I guess, there are alot of variables. I would have to say it's much easier to get/make a good duck or pheasant dog. I have no experience with Man trackers but I have always wanted to train or work with one. I imagine there is no room for error when it comes to tracking someone who's life that is on the line or an escapee.

Last edited by Dstone1992; 08/30/22 06:17 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread