Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Should I be concerned about spoilage? #7664060
09/03/22 12:49 PM
09/03/22 12:49 PM
Warren County, PA
CountryCletus Offline OP
trapper
CountryCletus  Offline OP
trapper

Warren County, PA
While stirring my baits/lures for the upcoming seasons use, I noticed one of my pickle jar lids had about half a dozen very small maggots. Between the jar lid and the contents of the jar I have two layers of cheese cloth. Before stirring I carefully inspected the top layer of my concoction to ensure there was nothing visible on top, and there wasn’t. Did I dodge a bullet here??? That was the only jar I found evidence of anything like that on, and I washed that lid in hot soapy water after brushing the maggots off into the garbage… new cheese cloth was applied to all baits and lures and nothing smells out of the ordinary. I plan on keeping a close eye on that one jar, but has anyone experienced anything like that, maggots between the cheese cloth and lid? If so, how did it turn out? Really trying to NOT have to throw this thing in the freezer, but also don’t wanna lose it to maggots

Re: Should I be concerned about spoilage? [Re: CountryCletus] #7664071
09/03/22 01:00 PM
09/03/22 01:00 PM
Warren County, PA
CountryCletus Offline OP
trapper
CountryCletus  Offline OP
trapper

Warren County, PA
Just stirred my tainted beaver that hasn’t had anything added except SB and found maggots on top, very small and it doesn’t reek, so I threw them in the freezer…. A few days good on a freeze to kill off any undesirables?

Re: Should I be concerned about spoilage? [Re: CountryCletus] #7664298
09/03/22 07:45 PM
09/03/22 07:45 PM
Pennsylvania
J
JesseA Offline
trapper
JesseA  Offline
trapper
J

Pennsylvania
Did bait myself for the first time this year and ran into the same issues. I threw mine all in the freezer(several gallons) for several days after mixing in the sodium benzoate and no issues after that. I scooped out and threw away the little bit on top that had the majority of the maggots then threw in the freezer. Oddly, when I popped the top the bait would smell horrid, then when I scooped off the top layer that had the maggots, there was a noticeably different smell, more like what I was expecting

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91