No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Who Bought an Electric Car? I did..... [Re: trappingthomas] #7676603
09/22/22 09:43 AM
09/22/22 09:43 AM
SE Kansas
K
K52 Offline
trapper
K52  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kansas
You say they must turn a profit, I doubt that very much. I would be willing to bet that they actually operate at a loss and their government makes up the loss to keep them in business.

Re: Who Bought an Electric Car? I did..... [Re: trappingthomas] #7676605
09/22/22 09:44 AM
09/22/22 09:44 AM
Florida
B
bjansma Offline
trapper
bjansma  Offline
trapper
B

Florida
I don't buy the green argument but I think they have a ton of application from a prepper's standpoint.

My family and I were in Sri Lanka the the week before the protests over the gas shortages started. We experienced the rolling blackouts and saw the lines at the gas stations that didn't have any fuel anyway. There's no reason it can't happen here.

A vehicle that operates on an alternative energy source mitigates a lot of this risk even if it doesn't make financial sense or it has unknown or inherent maintenance problems.

Overseas, almost all the vehicles we were driven around in were hybrids. Hybrids do not accomplish what I am talking about. They are still dependent on gas. But a true ev will.

I don't own an electric vehicle but would like one for the reasons above. They are pricey, but someday.

Bob Jansma
Re: Who Bought an Electric Car? I did..... [Re: bjansma] #7676611
09/22/22 09:50 AM
09/22/22 09:50 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by bjansma
I don't buy the green argument but I think they have a ton of application from a prepper's standpoint.

My family and I were in Sri Lanka the the week before the protests over the gas shortages started. We experienced the rolling blackouts and saw the lines at the gas stations that didn't have any fuel anyway. There's no reason it can't happen here.

A vehicle that operates on an alternative energy source mitigates a lot of this risk even if it doesn't make financial sense or it has unknown or inherent maintenance problems.

Overseas, almost all the vehicles we were driven around in were hybrids. Hybrids do not accomplish what I am talking about. They are still dependent on gas. But a true ev will.

I don't own an electric vehicle but would like one for the reasons above. They are pricey, but someday.

Your reasons above^^^ as re not positive...but you'd like one for those reasons?

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Who Bought an Electric Car? I did..... [Re: 330-Trapper] #7676754
09/22/22 02:27 PM
09/22/22 02:27 PM
Florida
B
bjansma Offline
trapper
bjansma  Offline
trapper
B

Florida
330 the reason of still being mobile if there was a gas shortage.

Bob Jansma
Re: Who Bought an Electric Car? I did..... [Re: 52Carl] #7676755
09/22/22 02:28 PM
09/22/22 02:28 PM
MI
T
trappingthomas Offline OP
trapper
trappingthomas  Offline OP
trapper
T

MI
Originally Posted by 52Carl
How will they hold up in the salty roads of the Rust Belt? That's my question. Road salt, batteries next to the ground, electric motor exposed underneath. What could go wrong. Will there be hazmat teams stationed on every corner for every accident which comprises the battery pack?
How will they address the electrical fires caused by collisions? From what I have read, they must be completely submerged in water to extinguish.
I say we increase CO2 emissions rather than reduce them. This will serve to stave off the neat Ice Age. You want to talk about a planet killer, talk about an Ice Age.

Our winters are pretty salty and Don has had no problems.

Note this car was the high end version when they were first available in mass production. We were on a bit of a waiting list for it. I am sure many improvements have been made. We will find out in November he gets his new one. Trading in the old one. They gave him a trade in estimate of between $35,000 to 38,000.

Re: Who Bought an Electric Car? I did..... [Re: TC1] #7676764
09/22/22 02:54 PM
09/22/22 02:54 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by TC1
I know I wouldn’t want to be stuck in bad winter weather here with one. Wonder how the heat works when you are buried in a drift or stranded due to a blizzard. I’m sure the govt will get you out of that jamb…Idjits….

Exactly. Or, what would happen to those motorists who were stranded in that bad freeway accident last winter and traffic got backed up for almost 10 miles in below freezing temps? If you ever watch the show, Heavy Rescue. It happens a lot in Canada. It sometimes takes the wreckers as long as all night to clear the highway while there are miles of backed up traffic unable to move.

The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never let the dumbest ones lead the pack.
Re: Who Bought an Electric Car? I did..... [Re: 330-Trapper] #7676766
09/22/22 02:56 PM
09/22/22 02:56 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

Your reasons above^^^ as re not positive...but you'd like one for those reasons?

Does it get below zero temperature-wise in Sri Lanka?

The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never let the dumbest ones lead the pack.
Re: Who Bought an Electric Car? I did..... [Re: bjansma] #7676792
09/22/22 03:35 PM
09/22/22 03:35 PM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas

The reason they were rioting and chasing government officials from their homes is because of government mandated green/climate change laws that have wrecked the country. When people can’t eat or afford energy things usually go down hill fast. Sri Lanka is a perfect example of how fast the communist agenda can ruin a society.

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: Who Bought an Electric Car? I did..... [Re: trappingthomas] #7676820
09/22/22 04:38 PM
09/22/22 04:38 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
I'm purdy librarian on most things so I say any man or company should be able to buy what ever they want. Now if I find out you plug your EV into a grid powered by a coal fired plant try not to begrudge my grin...

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Who Bought an Electric Car? I did..... [Re: bowhunter27295] #7676833
09/22/22 05:06 PM
09/22/22 05:06 PM
Duluth, MN
C
Clark Offline
trapper
Clark  Offline
trapper
C

Duluth, MN
Originally Posted by bowhunter27295
And to anyone who bought an ev, that was your choice. I have nothing good or bad to say about it as it was your money to do with as you wish.

I would ask for any and all real time information. How long to charge? How much did you power bill go up? Actual range? Tire wear? Maintenance schedule? Just information so we can be better informed.

The answers to your questions are easily found on the internet and can be verified from multiple sources. That you still have those questions tells me you haven’t actually looked and probably aren’t interested in the answers. Also, tire wear? Are we running bias ply tires still? We have 1-ton trucks that weight 10K pounds running on tires and you’re worried they can’t figure out the equation for an electric vehicle?

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. -Albert Einstein
Re: Who Bought an Electric Car? I did..... [Re: bjansma] #7676847
09/22/22 05:34 PM
09/22/22 05:34 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS

I get what you're saying, but from a prepping stand point, how would you charge it if there was no electricity?

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Who Bought an Electric Car? I did..... [Re: bowhunter27295] #7676878
09/22/22 06:21 PM
09/22/22 06:21 PM
Montana/Florida
G
Gene Dziza Offline
trapper
Gene Dziza  Offline
trapper
G

Montana/Florida
And to anyone who bought an ev, that was your choice. I have nothing good or bad to say about it as it was your money to do with as you wish.

I would ask for any and all real time information. How long to charge? How much did you power bill go up? Actual range? Tire wear? Maintenance schedule? Just information so we can be better informed.

I wil try to help you with some information Bowhunter. I see guys throwing all kinds of hypothetical what ifs at this that I can't speculate on and I may be selfish, but I really don't give a hoot about their affect on the power grid. That will have to be fixed, but not by me, and I really don't get concerned about kids in the congo.

How long to charge?
Here's the beauty of it, your car fuels while you sleep. I jumped in my wifes car yesterday for a quick trip into town and the gas light was on. Dang. I don't like stopping at gas stations. It's kind of painfull. With an EV, you wake up with a full tank every morning and I'm good for 300 miles. If you're on the road, the charging time is 15-30 minutes. I've never had it take over 25. But, you're good for 300 more miles. The super chargers seem to cost about $18.00 average to charge. Remember, you're never empty. (hopefully).

How much did your power bill go up? $30.00 - $40.00 a month I would say.

Actual range: Depends on what you buy. Mine is rated at about 340, so I always say 300. I haven't seen a difference in real hot weather. I have not done any long trips below zero.

Tire wear: It looks like I'm going to get 40-50k out of my tires. I don't wait until they give me problems.

Mantenance schedule: Mine's 3 years old. I haven't done anything but rotate tires and add windshield fluid.

Here is a link from my power company to calculate cost savings. In my case, where I am substituting an EV instead of my Duramax, I save about $600.00 a month with a Ford Lightning, plus I add years to my diesel, which is $90,000 to replace. If you drive a lot, you can save a lot.

But here's my question to all the haters: If you can buy an EV truck that is comparably priced to a gas model, and you can get a $7500.00 tax rebate, and you actually save on fuel costs, and you never have to do an oil change or replace a belt or filter, and you can get by on the daily fuel range, and you don't have to stop at a gas station again because you wake up every morning to a full tank of fuel, would you buy one?

You may save and you may not.

The link: Hopefully it works

https://www.flatheadelectric.com/innovative-projects/electric-vehicles/ev-resources/

Re: Who Bought an Electric Car? I did..... [Re: trappingthomas] #7676895
09/22/22 06:41 PM
09/22/22 06:41 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Still cheaper buying used gas vehicles, in a normal market anyways. We're in a oddity right now with some used newer used vehicles selling more for new models thanks to the chip shortages.

Re: Who Bought an Electric Car? I did..... [Re: trappingthomas] #7676948
09/22/22 08:12 PM
09/22/22 08:12 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Gene would I buy one? Well I don't pay the price for new vehicles. I buy Slightly ysed for the family vehicles. The last one was a dodge caravan a year old with 5k miles and because it was used and certified I got longer warranty than new
. I get 25 mpg on the hwy and 21 in town.
I got it for $ 21000

My daily driver is a 97 Ford ranger . I drive 127 miles each way to work .

I don't see how the cost of an ev and the charger will pencil outf for me

I also drive them tell the wheels fall of fix them and keep driving them. The ev will not last batteries are to expensive to replace. Your not figuring in long-term or giving up the ability to spontaneously jump in the car and make a trip half way across the country.
But you have other vehicles for that and it does save milage on them.

I'm not against them but their range is not enough, charging infustructer is not inplace in my
Routs and I can't get past 20k pluss for a battery.
Works of all is they are being forced on us.

Re: Who Bought an Electric Car? I did..... [Re: Providence Farm] #7676954
09/22/22 08:25 PM
09/22/22 08:25 PM
Flint, Michigan
bhugo Offline
trapper
bhugo  Offline
trapper

Flint, Michigan
Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Gene would I buy one? Well I don't pay the price for new vehicles. I buy Slightly ysed for the family vehicles. The last one was a dodge caravan a year old with 5k miles and because it was used and certified I got longer warranty than new
. I get 25 mpg on the hwy and 21 in town.
I got it for $ 21000

My daily driver is a 97 Ford ranger . I drive 127 miles each way to work .

I don't see how the cost of an ev and the charger will pencil outf for me

I also drive them tell the wheels fall of fix them and keep driving them. The ev will not last batteries are to expensive to replace. Your not figuring in long-term or giving up the ability to spontaneously jump in the car and make a trip half way across the country.
But you have other vehicles for that and it does save milage on them.

I'm not against them but their range is not enough, charging infustructer is not inplace in my
Routs and I can't get past 20k pluss for a battery.
Works of all is they are being forced on us.

Wow.

You must spend a fortune on gasoline. That’s a long commute.

Member MTPCA, FTA and NTA
Re: Who Bought an Electric Car? I did..... [Re: trappingthomas] #7676958
09/22/22 08:31 PM
09/22/22 08:31 PM
Flint, Michigan
bhugo Offline
trapper
bhugo  Offline
trapper

Flint, Michigan
My wife and I each have a vehicle. I have a ram pickup. I haul long distance so I’ll probably not try an electric truck but my wife drives local for the most part. We might look into the new Chevy equinox ev.

Member MTPCA, FTA and NTA
Re: Who Bought an Electric Car? I did..... [Re: trappingthomas] #7677006
09/22/22 09:30 PM
09/22/22 09:30 PM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Originally Posted by trappingthomas

Note this car was the high end version when they were first available in mass production. We were on a bit of a waiting list for it. I am sure many improvements have been made. We will find out in November he gets his new one. Trading in the old one. They gave him a trade in estimate of between $35,000 to 38,000.

So, the trade in has depreciated well over $80,000 in the six years since you bought it. Could have run an awful lot of gas through a combustion vehicle in those six years and still come out ahead.

Re: Who Bought an Electric Car? I did..... [Re: yotetrapper30] #7677066
09/22/22 10:11 PM
09/22/22 10:11 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

I get what you're saying, but from a prepping stand point, how would you charge it if there was no electricity?

Put gas in the generator???? #heckifIknow

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Who Bought an Electric Car? I did..... [Re: Gene Dziza] #7684761
10/03/22 08:38 PM
10/03/22 08:38 PM
NC
B
bowhunter27295 Offline
trapper
bowhunter27295  Offline
trapper
B

NC
Originally Posted by Gene Dziza

I wil try to help you with some information Bowhunter. I see guys throwing all kinds of hypothetical what ifs at this that I can't speculate on and I may be selfish, but I really don't give a hoot about their affect on the power grid. That will have to be fixed, but not by me, and I really don't get concerned about kids in the congo.

How long to charge?
Here's the beauty of it, your car fuels while you sleep. I jumped in my wifes car yesterday for a quick trip into town and the gas light was on. Dang. I don't like stopping at gas stations. It's kind of painfull. With an EV, you wake up with a full tank every morning and I'm good for 300 miles. If you're on the road, the charging time is 15-30 minutes. I've never had it take over 25. But, you're good for 300 more miles. The super chargers seem to cost about $18.00 average to charge. Remember, you're never empty. (hopefully).

How much did your power bill go up? $30.00 - $40.00 a month I would say.

Actual range: Depends on what you buy. Mine is rated at about 340, so I always say 300. I haven't seen a difference in real hot weather. I have not done any long trips below zero.

Tire wear: It looks like I'm going to get 40-50k out of my tires. I don't wait until they give me problems.

Mantenance schedule: Mine's 3 years old. I haven't done anything but rotate tires and add windshield fluid.

Here is a link from my power company to calculate cost savings. In my case, where I am substituting an EV instead of my Duramax, I save about $600.00 a month with a Ford Lightning, plus I add years to my diesel, which is $90,000 to replace. If you drive a lot, you can save a lot.

But here's my question to all the haters: If you can buy an EV truck that is comparably priced to a gas model, and you can get a $7500.00 tax rebate, and you actually save on fuel costs, and you never have to do an oil change or replace a belt or filter, and you can get by on the daily fuel range, and you don't have to stop at a gas station again because you wake up every morning to a full tank of fuel, would you buy one?

You may save and you may not.

The link: Hopefully it works

https://www.flatheadelectric.com/innovative-projects/electric-vehicles/ev-resources/

Too bad other people can't have a conversation like this. I appreciate your honest info.

How many lies will people believe before they realize their own idiocy?
Re: Who Bought an Electric Car? I did..... [Re: Clark] #7684764
10/03/22 08:39 PM
10/03/22 08:39 PM
NC
B
bowhunter27295 Offline
trapper
bowhunter27295  Offline
trapper
B

NC
Originally Posted by Clark

The answers to your questions are easily found on the internet and can be verified from multiple sources. That you still have those questions tells me you haven’t actually looked and probably aren’t interested in the answers. Also, tire wear? Are we running bias ply tires still? We have 1-ton trucks that weight 10K pounds running on tires and you’re worried they can’t figure out the equation for an electric vehicle?

So what am I thinking now, Swami Clark?

How many lies will people believe before they realize their own idiocy?
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread