No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: time to ditch the cabelas card [Re: keets] #7684470
10/03/22 01:38 PM
10/03/22 01:38 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
I never could figure out why people have a card that is only good at one particular merchant; Chevron, Sears, Penny's, Cabelas, etc.
Why carry all those cards around with you and have all those monthly bills. Why not just use one card?
I don't get it.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: time to ditch the cabelas card [Re: keets] #7684473
10/03/22 01:42 PM
10/03/22 01:42 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Cabela’s cards are Master cards like any other MC it’s good about anyplace not just at a Cabela’s.

Last edited by Law Dog; 10/03/22 01:43 PM.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: time to ditch the cabelas card [Re: Flicker Shad] #7684476
10/03/22 01:47 PM
10/03/22 01:47 PM
Akron, Ohio
bass10 Offline
trapper
bass10  Offline
trapper

Akron, Ohio
Originally Posted by Flicker Shad
Originally Posted by bass10
I got a Cabelas Business card and have had the personal card for about 20 years. I just got the business card last December and have $1100 in points already (I was putting all transactions on my debit card)
Along with my personal card that has $370 built up. Wished I'd done the business one years ago (dummy). Next year this time I will be getting me a Citori. Sure theres probably better cash backs out there but this
works for me. The key to any of these is that you HAVE to pay them off every month or any cash back or points is gone by the interest charges. It stinks paying a $7000 bill at the end of the month but it was
going off my debit anyway and was much harder to register every transaction in QB as opposed to one.

That's a good plan if you have something in mind you want to get. I don't like the cabels card (I do have one) because you're limited to just cabelas. I like the cash back for the ability to use it anywhere.

I gotcha and agree, I just figure its a easy way to score a gun every year or two and since I'm always buying guns might as well get them free but yes I will be limited to their price and not be able to shop around.

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog!"
Re: time to ditch the cabelas card [Re: keets] #7684477
10/03/22 01:48 PM
10/03/22 01:48 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Thanks , Waggler, for breaking that down and explaining. I'm terrible at math, but I can get the gist plainly of your savings in flights.

It sure helps when cards can be negotiated and used to the cardholder's benefit.

I have a card that is only usable for Frontier Air, as far as saving on flights. I only flew Frontier a few times, but mostly use Alaska and or Delta , that are available for where I want to go.

The good thing of this card, is that they are so fantastic with me, keeping any interest rates to rock bottom lows, or outright offering a period of time with no interest rate, which I have taken advantage of. I use this card basically first if I need to. I use it for other flights or anything else I want to do, it just doesnt help with Alaska Air flights, in credit miles, of course. My credit score is as high as one can have. So they all want me happy.

I see where the fee for your card is worth still having , with as much as you save in using it.

Re: time to ditch the cabelas card [Re: waggler] #7684734
10/03/22 08:16 PM
10/03/22 08:16 PM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Originally Posted by waggler
Here is another example why I like the AA Visa card, and the mileage plan that comes with it.

I'm using probably the most expensive AA route as an example: Seattle to Adak (other flight origin cities to Adak really aren't much more expensive than flights originating out of Seattle).

I'm looking at fares about a month out; say you want to do a caribou hunt.

Full round trip fare is $1,424.
[Linked Image]

Full round trip using miles is 25,000 miles.
[Linked Image]

It gets even better though. Let's say you've used up all your miles but you want to take advantage of the mileage tickets. You can go into your mileage account and buy miles for $27.50 per thousand miles. So 25K times $27.50 is $687.50. That is half price of booking the regular fare. It gets even better, every couple of months you will get an email offering a sale on miles giving you 40% more miles when you buy at the $27.50 per 1000 miles.

So if you play it smart you can get a $1,400 ticket for about $500 or so.

I have figured out how to game this system, anyone can do it, it's actually pretty easy. This is how I can afford to travel back and forth between Alaska and Seattle 6-8 times a year.

I forgot to mention; but I also have an AA Vusa Business card, so I get two $99 companion tickets per year.

Cool.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: time to ditch the cabelas card [Re: Law Dog] #7684744
10/03/22 08:25 PM
10/03/22 08:25 PM
Over there.
F
Flicker Shad Offline
trapper
Flicker Shad  Offline
trapper
F

Over there.
Originally Posted by Law Dog
Cabela’s cards are Master cards like any other MC it’s good about anyplace not just at a Cabela’s.

I wasn't clear. My bad. I meant the reward points can only be redeemed at Cabelas.

Re: time to ditch the cabelas card [Re: keets] #7685433
10/04/22 07:41 PM
10/04/22 07:41 PM
NW WI
schweg2 Offline
trapper
schweg2  Offline
trapper

NW WI
Capital one here

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread