No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
NEW HIP #7692538
10/14/22 09:07 PM
10/14/22 09:07 PM
SE NEBRASKA
NebrCatMan Offline OP
trapper
NebrCatMan  Offline OP
trapper

SE NEBRASKA
Monday the 10th at 10A.M. I had a new hip put in on my right side. This goes along with my new total left knee replacement last Jan 1st. Looking back there was some pain with the knee but I always heard hips are easier. I was kinda hoping to be pretty much up to speed in a week or so as far as the pain. But here it is Friday and I still have to use a walker although I am down to Tylenol just once or maybe twice a day now. I wonder who all has done a hip? I am 66 almost and can tell right away the new hip is better as before when I walked my left foot was straight ahead but my right foot was closer to a 45 angle than straight ahead. Not a lot of sharp pain but DR's think it may help my back problems some... maybe! Comments ?

Last edited by NebrCatMan; 10/14/22 09:08 PM.

Remember "Forbidden Fruit makes many Jams"
Re: NEW HIP [Re: NebrCatMan] #7692542
10/14/22 09:13 PM
10/14/22 09:13 PM
Texas
D
daveharmon Offline
trapper
daveharmon  Offline
trapper
D

Texas
I had both hips replaced last year.I had absolutely no pain afterward.I was walking without the walker the 3rd day.I walked around the bock the 3rd day.Was almost 100 percent in 2 weeks.Just have to watch the bending over for awhile. Best thing I ever did.I'm 71.Good luck

Dave Harmon
Re: NEW HIP [Re: daveharmon] #7692552
10/14/22 09:24 PM
10/14/22 09:24 PM
SE NEBRASKA
NebrCatMan Offline OP
trapper
NebrCatMan  Offline OP
trapper

SE NEBRASKA
Originally Posted by daveharmon
I had both hips replaced last year.I had absolutely no pain afterward.I was walking without the walker the 3rd day.I walked around the bock the 3rd day.Was almost 100 percent in 2 weeks.Just have to watch the bending over for awhile. Best thing I ever did.I'm 71.Good luck

Wow..... that's a good report. I can walk without the walker but pretty sore so I use the walker everywhere. I have walked a block or two to my mailbox yesterday and today and have drove around in my truck and riding zero turn lawn mower here at the ranch. Glad to hear your success story hope I come close !

Last edited by NebrCatMan; 10/14/22 09:24 PM.

Remember "Forbidden Fruit makes many Jams"
Re: NEW HIP [Re: NebrCatMan] #7692555
10/14/22 09:26 PM
10/14/22 09:26 PM
MN
160user Offline
trapper
160user  Offline
trapper

MN
I broke my pelvis in 7 places years ago but was walking on it a week later all doped up. I am sure part of my hip problems are a result of that but I am just going to run what I have like they did 100 years ago.

I have nothing clever to put here.

Re: NEW HIP [Re: NebrCatMan] #7692662
10/15/22 01:30 AM
10/15/22 01:30 AM
MN
M
Mark K Offline
trapper
Mark K  Offline
trapper
M

MN
Mine was Jan 4th.

I still hurt and that is normal.

Keep moving and don't let the chair grow into your back side.

Re: NEW HIP [Re: NebrCatMan] #7692668
10/15/22 04:47 AM
10/15/22 04:47 AM
NH
T
trapNH Offline
trapper
trapNH  Offline
trapper
T

NH
I had one done 4 years ago and the other last year, walking with out the cane in a week and doing what ever in 2 weeks. No pain at all from the time I woke up.

Re: NEW HIP [Re: NebrCatMan] #7692677
10/15/22 05:28 AM
10/15/22 05:28 AM
Maine
M
Mac Offline
trapper
Mac  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
Originally Posted by NebrCatMan
Monday the 10th at 10A.M. I had a new hip put in on my right side. This goes along with my new total left knee replacement last Jan 1st. Looking back there was some pain with the knee but I always heard hips are easier. I was kinda hoping to be pretty much up to speed in a week or so as far as the pain. But here it is Friday and I still have to use a walker although I am down to Tylenol just once or maybe twice a day now. I wonder who all has done a hip? I am 66 almost and can tell right away the new hip is better as before when I walked my left foot was straight ahead but my right foot was closer to a 45 angle than straight ahead. Not a lot of sharp pain but DR's think it may help my back problems some... maybe! Comments ?

I have had both hips replaced.
Everyone is different. Do not be discouraged when listening to those that claim to have been good as new in a day or two and claimed to be in a dance competition in a week.
I have a friend that had one hip replaced and she was back in action way before I was, but she was also a lot younger. The surgery was early in the morning. The doc visited me in the afternoon and told me when I could walk around the complete floor I was located on I could go home. By the next morning I had taken about 19 trips around the floor with the aid of my wife and horses. I freaking paid for that bull crap for a while. I did go home the next day. I used the walker for at least a week, maybe a bit more, but I have more dogs living in the house than the normal person and the walker was used as insurance from being flatted by a German Shepard or a Lab. I went to a cane as soon as I could.

For the vast majority of folks it takes as a bit to recover. Be patient. If they did not offer PT, ask for it anyway.
I had PT come to the house for a couple of weeks about twice a week or so, and it was very worth while.

I am assuming they had you attend a hip replacement class, so you will be aware of what you need to watch out for. It may have changed since mine were done. We were told to avoid break the "90 degreased angle", avoid falling, crossing ones legs, and especially combining the last two.
It takes a bit but hopefully you will feel great.

Mac

Last edited by Mac; 10/15/22 05:34 AM.

Re: NEW HIP [Re: NebrCatMan] #7692747
10/15/22 08:03 AM
10/15/22 08:03 AM
Frazee, MN
B
backroadsarcher Offline
trapper
backroadsarcher  Offline
trapper
B

Frazee, MN
My wife had a hip replaced last winter. Struggled with pain for a couple of years before the surgery and she finally had enough. She is a horse rider and couldn't ride the last year.. She got hers done and four months later she was back on the horse wishing she have done it earlier.

Re: NEW HIP [Re: NebrCatMan] #7692759
10/15/22 08:20 AM
10/15/22 08:20 AM
central Missouri
B
Bigfoot Offline
trapper
Bigfoot  Offline
trapper
B

central Missouri
I had my left one replaced march 2021 I was walking around the farm a lot at 4 weeks , cutting timber at 6 weeks . ,I didn't have any pain in it at all until I got covid in august 2021 and have had a little ever since not so much in the joint but the femur below the splice .

Re: NEW HIP [Re: NebrCatMan] #7692764
10/15/22 08:25 AM
10/15/22 08:25 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
My boy got under a bad bull at the high school NFR so he had a hip replaced at 19 years old. He said it is not perfect but 5 yrs later he can do most things with only a little discomfort.

I hope you heal quickly and completely. Also, don't get off bulls like this;

[Linked Image]

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: NEW HIP [Re: NebrCatMan] #7692783
10/15/22 09:17 AM
10/15/22 09:17 AM
IN
W
wiley one Offline
trapper
wiley one  Offline
trapper
W

IN
NCM, I'm 8yrs post replacement of full left hip. I'm 60yo myself now. Its a pretty invasive surgery. Give it some time. It sounds like you're already happier than you were. Of course, listen to your Dr and PT. I am so happy with the results - only very occasional pain that goes away quickly with naproxen. no physical limitations - aside from no high-impact excersing. I wish you many years of active outdoors lifestyle ahead of you! Just one word of advice: Don't share your before or after pelvic xrays on this sight! ;c)

Re: NEW HIP [Re: NebrCatMan] #7692820
10/15/22 10:43 AM
10/15/22 10:43 AM
SE Kansas
K
K52 Offline
trapper
K52  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kansas
My wife had hers done June 22 and she was at the point she could hardly walk at all. She was like that for about a year and a half and in constant pain till she decided she couldn't take it anymore. I wish she would have saved herself all that pain and suffering but she had to make the decision to have it done. Best thing that ever happened, she now can walk without pain, go to the store and drive. The ball that's in the socket had deteriorated until it was a decade square looking thing that was bone on bone. That x-ray was scary looking. Two of the big things they told her not to do is no twisting turning and don't plop down into a seat. I wish you best of luck and am sure you will have a good recovery,
just remember time takes time. One last thing, they told her to get rid of any throw rugs in the house.

Re: NEW HIP [Re: K52] #7692843
10/15/22 11:51 AM
10/15/22 11:51 AM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
I had my right hip replaced in July of 2019. Recovery went very well from my perspective. I was fortunate not to have several years of pain and thus reduced activity. My hip went bad quickly the bone spurs were really painful.
I was walking well in a week. there was no theropy sessions for my hip but they gave me exercises to do which I did follow well for a year or so. Walking will quickly build back those muscles involved in walking and if you were active prior to surgery that won't take long. I have found the valuable exercises for me are the leg raises both from flat on my back and my side. One needs to rebuild those muscles for the lateral movement. For me it also helps my stability and balance. The left one is showing wear now too, hopefully I can get a few more years. My wife had one knee done this summer and the other is being planned for early next year so I need to be able to assist her for another several months.

Bryce

Re: NEW HIP [Re: NebrCatMan] #7692860
10/15/22 12:44 PM
10/15/22 12:44 PM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
I'm someone who tells people keep all your own parts as long as you can. Having said that I took that advice for to long. My left hip hurt so bad it was disabling but I didn't want to admit I needed it gone. Doctor told me replacement was my only real option. After suffering for couple months I had my left hip replacement in end of September 2016. For me I was immediately pain free and walked on it same day after the epidural wore off. I didn't have formal rehab just the don't do class. Anyways I was good enough to hump it into the woods 7 weeks later for deer season. At my 1 year check I was moving good but still had a bad limp. So the doctor then sent me to rehab which I wish I had done right away. Really didn't to long and I was walking good again. Couple months after I was done with rehab. I got out of bed one morning and as I stood up my right hip pain almost dropped me. I didn't screw around and went right in to my doctor. To which he basically said I told you you would be back for the right hip. So in July of 2018 I had my right hip replacement. While I still believe in keeping your own parts as long as you can. There is something to be said for no pain. Which I currently am, pain free. I take no meds for anything. So I'm 6 years out on my left hip and 4 years on my right. Everyone gets a different deal on anything medical they do to you. I have other issues now I'm trying to get figured out and deal with.
Thing is you got to move at your pace. Do the rehab if you can. Main thing is to keep moving heal and not hurt your self.
I'm told not everyone get the kind of pain relief I did. If I thought they would I would tell everyone get what hurts you fixed.
Good luck with your recovery and keep it moving.

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: NEW HIP [Re: NebrCatMan] #7692866
10/15/22 01:01 PM
10/15/22 01:01 PM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
I had my left hip replaced 18 months ago. I pretty much agree with what everybody said so far. But remember, everybody is different in the healing process. Also, since it is your right hip, it may take you a little longer to drive a car. For me, after about 3 weeks or so, the healing process sped up rather rapidly compared to the first several weeks. My doctor said, although these type of surgeries have a high success ratio it is still a major operation and the body has to accept the foreign object placed into it.

Re: NEW HIP [Re: NebrCatMan] #7692943
10/15/22 04:35 PM
10/15/22 04:35 PM
N.E. Nebr
L
LDW Offline
trapper
LDW  Offline
trapper
L

N.E. Nebr
I had my left hip replaced a year ago in August. Had surgery at 6:30 am, walking by 8:30am and on my way home by 3 pm. Initially felt great. 4 days after surgery, I was on zero turn mowing the lawn. Its been all downhill since. Never have got rid of pain, to the point of having difficulty walking now. Have had multiple scans done and everything looks good. Whatever is happening, it's getting worse. 3 months before, I had a complete fusion of my back. They are beginning to think that scar tissue in my back is pressing on a nerve that goes to my legs. Now waiting for approval for more tests.

Re: NEW HIP [Re: LDW] #7692957
10/15/22 04:54 PM
10/15/22 04:54 PM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
Originally Posted by LDW
I had my left hip replaced a year ago in August. Had surgery at 6:30 am, walking by 8:30am and on my way home by 3 pm. Initially felt great. 4 days after surgery, I was on zero turn mowing the lawn. Its been all downhill since. Never have got rid of pain, to the point of having difficulty walking now. Have had multiple scans done and everything looks good. Whatever is happening, it's getting worse. 3 months before, I had a complete fusion of my back. They are beginning to think that scar tissue in my back is pressing on a nerve that goes to my legs. Now waiting for approval for more tests.

How did you manage such a short time for the surgery plus recovery time of only 2 hours?

Re: NEW HIP [Re: NebrCatMan] #7692976
10/15/22 05:48 PM
10/15/22 05:48 PM
coastal ny
G
gcs Offline
trapper
gcs  Offline
trapper
G

coastal ny
Had both hips done at the same time several years ago at 64, I think most of the discomfort is from the cutting to get to the hips....Used a walker for a week, did the PT, only took Ibuprofen for the soreness.
By 4 weeks it was going pretty well but my jailer wouldn't hear of me doing any driving or work till I got an all clear at 6 weeks.

At the 6 week visit I asked the doc what can't I do?. He said nothing, just don't do anything too stupid, lol, Next day I was on the boat setting pots.

Now, it's knee time.....

Re: NEW HIP [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7692988
10/15/22 06:23 PM
10/15/22 06:23 PM
N.E. Nebr
L
LDW Offline
trapper
LDW  Offline
trapper
L

N.E. Nebr
Originally Posted by Grandpa Trapper
Originally Posted by LDW

How did you manage such a short time for the surgery plus recovery time of only 2 hours?

Surgery was only 45 minutes and soon as I was awake, they had me on my feet.

Re: NEW HIP [Re: NebrCatMan] #7693043
10/15/22 08:39 PM
10/15/22 08:39 PM
KY.usa
rex123 Offline
trapper
rex123  Offline
trapper

KY.usa
It amazes me the things medicine can do these days. Mr. Leftlane you have a real one there . Be proud.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread