No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Boat motor lower unit removal STUCK #7703096
10/28/22 04:43 PM
10/28/22 04:43 PM
wyoming southeast
D
danvee Offline OP
trapper
danvee  Offline OP
trapper
D

wyoming southeast
Changed an impeller on my Yamaha 8h the other day, lover unit came off fine and I installed a new impeller. There was a tiny bit of the old impeller missing but put the thing back together and took it out on the lake today. I was still not spraying a good stream of water so took it back to the shop to go through it again. I removed all the bolts and the lower gear case separated easy and dropped away from the motor shaft about six inches. However the gear shaft will not fully drop out. The shaft turns easy in both directions while in forward, reverse and neutral. I tried tapping it all around with a rubber mallet while pulling but it will not separate. When I had it on the lake it also ran fine in neutral and reverse and shifted properly, Not sure what to do to remove it,. Every thing was greased when put back together and it drops out far enough I don't think the gears are jammed.

Re: Boat motor lower unit removal STUCK [Re: danvee] #7703148
10/28/22 05:50 PM
10/28/22 05:50 PM
Alaska
S
Super Wide Offline
trapper
Super Wide  Offline
trapper
S

Alaska
"There was a tiny bit of the old impeller missing"....maybe it it wedged inside keeping from coming apart. Flip it around and over, try to dislodge the missing piece. Try a magnet while moving the impeller around. Shake it loose, use a air gun to blow it out. Push it back in a little and try again.

"I was still not spraying a good stream of water so took it back to the shop to go through it again".....check this first, before you go any further. Take a broom that has the fake straw, cut off as long a piece as you can. Push it up the pee hole. It will bend and not break, it may dislodge a piece of the lake that is stuck up in the tube. If the motor is running, it will push the pieces of crud out. I keep a couple of pieces in the tool box for duck hunting where I shouldn't be duck hunting.

Or it might be getting air and will never run right until the leak is air fixed.

If the new impeller is not the same size, that could be it as well. If there is a O-ring, replace that, it could be cracked and leaking air. Hope this helps.

My Super Wide will pull your broken down 4 stroke, up a hill backwards, with you on it!
Re: Boat motor lower unit removal STUCK [Re: danvee] #7703314
10/28/22 08:12 PM
10/28/22 08:12 PM
Sugar Grove, WV
J
JTfromWV Online content
trapper
JTfromWV  Online Content
trapper
J

Sugar Grove, WV
I think Jbyrd has showed us the quickest way to remove a lower unit is to cruise around at night at a high rate of speed on a body of water with a lot of debris.

Re: Boat motor lower unit removal STUCK [Re: JTfromWV] #7703942
10/29/22 03:51 PM
10/29/22 03:51 PM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Originally Posted by JTfromWV
I think Jbyrd has showed us the quickest way to remove a lower unit is to cruise around at night at a high rate of speed on a body of water with a lot of debris.

I was waiting for someone else to say this, LOL!

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Boat motor lower unit removal STUCK [Re: danvee] #7703971
10/29/22 04:50 PM
10/29/22 04:50 PM
wyoming southeast
D
danvee Offline OP
trapper
danvee  Offline OP
trapper
D

wyoming southeast
Got it figured out was just tired it was the nut on the linkage for the gear shift thanks for the help. Jbyrds ways sounds expensive but exciting.

Re: Boat motor lower unit removal STUCK [Re: danvee] #7703978
10/29/22 05:05 PM
10/29/22 05:05 PM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
Originally Posted by danvee
Got it figured out was just tired it was the nut on the linkage for the gear shift thanks for the help. Jbyrds ways sounds expensive but exciting.

Well that's just a brain fart and don't think you're the lone ranger. I've done that a couple times myself shift linkage thing..

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: Boat motor lower unit removal STUCK [Re: danvee] #7704099
10/29/22 08:34 PM
10/29/22 08:34 PM
wyoming southeast
D
danvee Offline OP
trapper
danvee  Offline OP
trapper
D

wyoming southeast
yeah better working on old tractors and cars!!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread