No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Don't gut a deer [Re: The Beav] #7706104
11/01/22 02:30 PM
11/01/22 02:30 PM
Killingly, CT
Brian Mongeau Offline
trapper
Brian Mongeau  Offline
trapper

Killingly, CT
Gut it where it drops. I don't need to bring that mess home. And I never hose it out. Water forces bacteria into the fibers. Just a wet sponge to wipe out the carcass, then into the cooler.

Re: Don't gut a deer [Re: The Beav] #7706108
11/01/22 02:34 PM
11/01/22 02:34 PM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
Originally Posted by The Beav
So the last few deer I have killed I haven't gutted any of them.
I've had easy access to the downed deer so I don't have to drag them to far. It's home and hang them then skin and then knock off the quarters. And take out the back straps. The only thing I'm missing Is the tenderloins.

The other option I have been using Is gutting the deer after I get It home and hung. Just seems to me It's a lot less work and I get a cleaner job.
Now If I had to drag the deer any distance I would do the gutting In the field.

How do the rest Of you tackle this job?

PS. At 83 most of my dragging days are over. It's a call for help for this job.
The deer I killed on Friday went home with the guts In It but I needed to call for help to get It In the truck.

I have seen people use the gutless method and they retrieve the tenderloins by rolling the deer onto its belly and making a cut on the back reach in and remove then leave the stripped remains in the field

https://youtu.be/9s9wka1xluA

They say a picture is worth a thousand words

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: Don't gut a deer [Re: The Beav] #7706110
11/01/22 02:38 PM
11/01/22 02:38 PM
Montana
B
beartooth trapr Offline
trapper
beartooth trapr  Offline
trapper
B

Montana
Gut in field, most times.
One land owner wants no weed's, guess the guts are full of weed's.

Try not to shoot them on his place laugh

Let me sugar coat this
Re: Don't gut a deer [Re: The Beav] #7706114
11/01/22 02:44 PM
11/01/22 02:44 PM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
With a cordless sawzal you can take out the ribs on a moose with out gutting It. I don't remember leaving any meat behind when working on those moose.
So what do you accomplish by gutting a moose? Other then taking the heart and liver. And I don't see that as being wanton waste if I don't take those parts.

I take off the two legs on the side its laying, then open the moose from the rib cage,take off a side of ribs then cut the windpipe and pull the guts out, then repeat on the other side.

We have a no bone policy here, you can't bone it in the field, and if you get checked by FnG you better have the ribs, back, and neck or they fine you for wasting.

Personally, I save pretty much everything, just the paunch and contents are left when I leave. I bring all the heart liver, lungs and pancreas, kidneys and fat and hide hooves and head.What I dont eat is for the dogs.

Re: Don't gut a deer [Re: The Beav] #7706118
11/01/22 02:48 PM
11/01/22 02:48 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
That's pretty much they way I do it too. I don't even skin it. Sure is handy the way all that is attached to the windpipe comes out in one long piece.

Once one side is open it's fairly easy to roll the gut bag out to one side without puncturing it.

Mean As Nails
Re: Don't gut a deer [Re: The Beav] #7706132
11/01/22 03:14 PM
11/01/22 03:14 PM
Pennsylvania
17fireball Offline
trapper
17fireball  Offline
trapper

Pennsylvania
For the past 20 years I haven't gutted a deer as long as I can get it back home in a reasonable amount of time.

When back home, we hang them by the back legs ( same as when skinning forbearers) and case skin them. Once hide and head are cut off, we use a sawzall to split open both sides of the pelvis and then from the neck to the bottom of the sternum. Then take a gut hook knife from the bottom of the sternum up to the pelvis. Once open we pull everything down (guts included) into a plastic drum. The esophagus gets pulled right out with everything.

After all that, the heavy meat damage from the shot gets cut out or opened up. Then whole deer gets rinsed off with cold water. The transferred into makeshift walk in cooler with a fan blowing. Quartering and deboning gets done two or three days later.

Re: Don't gut a deer [Re: The Beav] #7706135
11/01/22 03:17 PM
11/01/22 03:17 PM
Louisiana
M
MattLA Offline
trapper
MattLA  Offline
trapper
M

Louisiana
Im actually down if somebody is willing to share how else they use parts of the guts. I hate wasting any part of it and try to maximize my take. Think all the bones are gonna be for bone glue next.

Re: Don't gut a deer [Re: MattLA] #7706139
11/01/22 03:22 PM
11/01/22 03:22 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by MattLA
Im actually down if somebody is willing to share how else they use parts of the guts. I hate wasting any part of it and try to maximize my take. Think all the bones are gonna be for bone glue next.

If you aren't eating the marrow you are missing one of the best parts

Mean As Nails
Re: Don't gut a deer [Re: The Beav] #7706140
11/01/22 03:25 PM
11/01/22 03:25 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
I'm different. I take and use everything except the guts, usually do that where it lays. The ribs are a favorite of mine so those are always coming with me.
I process at home.

Re: Don't gut a deer [Re: white17] #7706149
11/01/22 03:39 PM
11/01/22 03:39 PM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
Originally Posted by white17

Yes and very nutritious. Same with liver, and all other organ meat, its better than taking vitamins, its high in Iron and Vitamin C and many others as well. And its its all absorbable when you eat it.

I rendered moose fat this year and have been cooking with it. Really good stuff. Wish I had more.

Re: Don't gut a deer [Re: white17] #7706157
11/01/22 03:43 PM
11/01/22 03:43 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by white17

WI DNR tells us not to cut any bones or cook any bones.

only separating the joint in the legs and cut around the neck at the base of the skull and twist it off they even suggest using a separate knife down to the spine cut for this that you only use for that task. That is if you even remove the head I leave it on all my doe carcasses just cut the hide at the ears.

been that way 20 years now

part of the CWD protocol they laid out

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 11/01/22 03:45 PM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Don't gut a deer [Re: The Beav] #7706158
11/01/22 03:45 PM
11/01/22 03:45 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
That makes sense

Mean As Nails
Re: Don't gut a deer [Re: The Beav] #7706159
11/01/22 03:46 PM
11/01/22 03:46 PM
South metro, MN
C
Calvin Offline
trapper
Calvin  Offline
trapper
C

South metro, MN
I learned that aging deer has a big taste advantage. Hard to do with the guts in them, however. Do what works for ya, though.

Re: Don't gut a deer [Re: Calvin] #7706161
11/01/22 03:48 PM
11/01/22 03:48 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Calvin
I learned that aging deer has a big taste advantage. Hard to do with the guts in them, however. Do what works for ya, though.

also hard to do at 66 degrees with bright sun without a big cooler , so you do what you can do

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Don't gut a deer [Re: The Beav] #7706182
11/01/22 04:08 PM
11/01/22 04:08 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
I remember bringing a couple home with the guts in them when I was a kid and gutting them hanging into a wheelbarrow. Nice and clean but you need them close to home and close to the road, haven't done that since I was a kid. I've quartered both deer and elk with the gutless method, but usually always gut them. I've gutted lots of game and it doesn't take me long, and in particular working on an elk by yourself or with little help (guiding some clients can't even make it to the elk, much less be helpful, others are great help) removing a hundred pounds of guts makes it a lot easier to move around to skin and quarter. I don't like to "indian quarter", that is quarter with the hide on, gets a lot more hair on the meat, I quarter and drop the quarters in meat bags, remove backstrap, tenderloins, and meat off the neck and brisket. By Idaho law you don't have to remove meat from the neck, ribs, or below the joint on the leg. I take the neck unless it is a rutted up buck or bull (neck meat on a badly rutted up buck or bull tends to be rank and unfit to eat) but don't mess with the ribs. I've boned them in the woods where it is an extremely rough pack out, but prefer to leave the leg bones in the quarters, much nicer when you go to process it later.
It is nice and cleaner to bring them home whole and skin them hanging rather than on the ground, but is often not feasible in this country. Particularly with larger animals like elk and moose.

Re: Don't gut a deer [Re: The Beav] #7706186
11/01/22 04:09 PM
11/01/22 04:09 PM
coastal ny
G
gcs Offline
trapper
gcs  Offline
trapper
G

coastal ny
I take the boned out "chunks" still in the game bags and put them in a cooler with ice on the bottom, Meat lasts for days that way and gives you time to age it at least a little

Re: Don't gut a deer [Re: The Beav] #7706190
11/01/22 04:13 PM
11/01/22 04:13 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Online content
trapper
Osky  Online Content
trapper
O

Northern MN
So the last few deer I have killed I haven't gutted any of them.
I've had easy access to the downed deer so I don't have to drag them to far. It's home and hang them then skin and then knock off the quarters. And take out the back straps. The only thing I'm missing Is the tenderloins.

The other option I have been using Is gutting the deer after I get It home and hung. Just seems to me It's a lot less work and I get a cleaner job.
Now If I had to drag the deer any distance I would do the gutting In the field.

How do the rest Of you tackle this job?

PS. At 83 most of my dragging days are over. It's a call for help for this job.
The deer I killed on Friday went home with the guts In It but I needed to call for help to get It In the truck.

Couple old 2x8 boards tossed in for a ramp, buckle at the head of the truck bed, little electric winch. I know a few ranchers who do it that way quick and slick. Gutted or not.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Don't gut a deer [Re: The Beav] #7706211
11/01/22 05:06 PM
11/01/22 05:06 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Online content
trapper
Lugnut  Online Content
trapper
L

SEPA
I gut my deer in the field for several reasons.

One, I like to get them cooling down ASAP.

Two, it makes them easier to drag.

Three, I like to hang my deer for up to ten days temperature permitting, can't do that with the guts in .

Four, I use the heart and liver in the scrapple I make.

Five, After removing the choice cuts (hams, roasts, steaks, backstraps, tenderloins) I cut as much meat off the bones as possible for sausage meat. I cook the rest off in a big pot to make scrapple.

When I'm done processing deer there's a pile of clean bones left, except for the skull, I don't use that.

Eh...wot?

Re: Don't gut a deer [Re: The Beav] #7706213
11/01/22 05:09 PM
11/01/22 05:09 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
X2 Yukon & White. Love the marrow.
I'm not a fan of organs.
Matt you can wash out the intestines and use as sausage casing. Wash really well.

Re: Don't gut a deer [Re: The Beav] #7706248
11/01/22 06:13 PM
11/01/22 06:13 PM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline
trapper
martentrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
Have hung bou and moose at times. Generally with good results. You can hang meat that is boned out. Has to be on the bone to get the right results. I can understand not gutting smaller animals like whitetail or leaving some meat in the field. Big difference in rib meat on a moose vs. a whitetail.
Some moose seasons in Alaska stretch in to winter so can haul it out with a sled behind a snogo. Still, gutting removes a fair amount of weight on a moose.
Curious where in Alaska you have participated in moose hunting/field butchering, Beav.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread