No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Buying used camper / 1/2 ton chevy #7719189
11/16/22 03:31 PM
11/16/22 03:31 PM
NW Illinois
A
albtrapper Online content OP
trapper
albtrapper  Online Content OP
trapper
A

NW Illinois
Looking to buy used camper. 6000 lbs max ,$ 20,000 budget .bumper pull .
I don't know much about campers . And I'm looking for advise.
Plan on heading south for the winter .
Thanks in advance , Pat

Re: Buying used camper / 1/2 ton chevy [Re: albtrapper] #7719195
11/16/22 03:37 PM
11/16/22 03:37 PM
N.E. S.D.
S
Stewie Offline
trapper
Stewie  Offline
trapper
S

N.E. S.D.
Go to iRV2 and read their forums and ask questions. Lot of good people there that will help you out.

Re: Buying used camper / 1/2 ton chevy [Re: albtrapper] #7719223
11/16/22 04:06 PM
11/16/22 04:06 PM
San Antonio , Texas
Y
Yotegiter Offline
trapper
Yotegiter  Offline
trapper
Y

San Antonio , Texas
Get on RVtrader.com, wife and I just bought a nice 5th wheel from there. It was in Louisiana I had the owner take it to a local RV shop near him, and had them go over it with a fine toothed comb. Mite be same thing you’d do on hiring a home inspection. Buys you some piece of mind if you go with used. We also got a 4season model, that is better insulated and allows you to camp in cold temps without fear of storage tanks freezing. Slide outs gain you a lot more room and stays on the same size chassis. RV life is fun and an adventure, but don’t ever buy one thinking your going to save money. There a money pit, your buying the experience. Personally I feel it’s a buyers market currently and mite be a good time if in your budget to buy now. Good luck

Re: Buying used camper / 1/2 ton chevy [Re: albtrapper] #7719236
11/16/22 04:23 PM
11/16/22 04:23 PM
MN
M
Mark K Offline
trapper
Mark K  Offline
trapper
M

MN
Every time you consider a model, fin d reviews on it and read the negative reviews and pay attention for repeated complaints about the same issue. Discard the complaints that are just sour grapes.

The positive reviews are often paid reviews, but the negs are never paid for.

Re: Buying used camper / 1/2 ton chevy [Re: Mark K] #7719243
11/16/22 04:33 PM
11/16/22 04:33 PM
west virginia
W
wvmntnhick Offline
trapper
wvmntnhick  Offline
trapper
W

west virginia
Originally Posted by Mark K
Every time you consider a model, fin d reviews on it and read the negative reviews and pay attention for repeated complaints about the same issue. Discard the complaints that are just sour grapes.

The positive reviews are often paid reviews, but the negs are never paid for.

I’ll second this statement. But be mindful of one thing: how often do people give a good review without a prompt? Everyone with a bad experience will shout about it.

I keep desperately hoping that one day someone will call me "Sir" without adding "please calm down" or "you're causing a scene."
Re: Buying used camper / 1/2 ton chevy [Re: albtrapper] #7719253
11/16/22 04:49 PM
11/16/22 04:49 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Look for leaks in the roof by giving the cieling and walls a good once over. If it looks like any painting was done you might want to take a panel loose and make sure none of the wooden frame has rotted. Same with repair to the walls. Walk all ove the floor taking small steps looking for soft spots. Especially near the walls. If it has electric brakes make sure they work. Same for brake stop turn signal lights. Pull the wheel assembly off. Look for pits or dark spots on the spindles. Spots on the bearings or missing rollers. Look for cracks in the leaf springs and in the frame especially at welds. If it has a self contained septic tank check to make sure its not full of dried gunk from not being washed out. A plugged up tank is a real mess to sort out. Pass on any of them. Look for leaks in the plumbing and make sure all the appliances work.

Last edited by danny clifton; 11/16/22 04:51 PM.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Buying used camper / 1/2 ton chevy [Re: albtrapper] #7719589
11/16/22 11:34 PM
11/16/22 11:34 PM
NW Illinois
A
trapper
trapper
A

NW Illinois
Thanks , I'm learning with your help .

Re: Buying used camper / 1/2 ton chevy [Re: albtrapper] #7719598
11/16/22 11:45 PM
11/16/22 11:45 PM
Pillager, Minnesota
P
patfundine Offline
trapper
patfundine  Offline
trapper
P

Pillager, Minnesota
Make a list of what you really want and stick to it. As it's your first one you will find things you want in your next camper.

Re: Buying used camper / 1/2 ton chevy [Re: albtrapper] #7719602
11/16/22 11:48 PM
11/16/22 11:48 PM
MT (Big Sky Country)
A
Allan Minear Offline
trapper
Allan Minear  Offline
trapper
A

MT (Big Sky Country)
My suggestion Pat is to pass on a bumper pull trailer and buy a 5th wheel camper instead they tow much nicer and I feel you have better control of it on slick or icy roads and strong wind .

Whatever you do go with I'm a firm believer in " through the roof " for a sealant on any seams around the vents when you use it don't wear nice clothes it's tough stuff to wash out .

A extra propane tank is handy also as is a electric heater along with a quality electric tester just because .
I hope your search goes well for you !

Re: Buying used camper / 1/2 ton chevy [Re: albtrapper] #7719604
11/16/22 11:52 PM
11/16/22 11:52 PM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
Try to buy a newer model

Don't buy one someone has lived in

If it comes from a Cold winter climate find out how the previous owner winterized it

Make sure to test everything

Ask if batteries and tires are original or upgraded

Any water stain in the ceiling or wall ......run

Get the hitch and sway bar system with the unit

If it has a generator , how many hrs ?

A slide is a huge difference if you spend anytime in one. I don't think I would buy one without

Last edited by AntiGov; 11/17/22 12:04 AM.

Report a post club - Non member

Re: Buying used camper / 1/2 ton chevy [Re: albtrapper] #7719609
11/17/22 12:11 AM
11/17/22 12:11 AM
Louisiana
M
MattLA Offline
trapper
MattLA  Offline
trapper
M

Louisiana
Definitely the right choice for a bumper pull, but it depends on how you are going to use it. We have a 33ft bumper pull, no slide out 2020 Keystone Springdale and love it. We lived in it for 2 years easy, and it was good, our 3 kids with the double bunks had no issues. We also go and travel around with it. I would look for one that has all the cheap outlets and plastic fixtures swapped out. Make sure you get on the roof, and look. Ask them how many times they have resealed the roof joints....the right answer is every year even if it doesnt leak. Make sure the black tank has a san T hose hookup, this will help keep the black tank fairly clean and once a month of doing that seems to work. Make sure they show you that the hot water heater, fridge, stove, AC, oven, and vent fans all work on electric and propane if they are dual energy. We have two propane tanks, definitely worth it in my opinion.

I would try to find one that has the weight distributing hitch that comes with it AND a fresh battery. Whichever one you get, go to every corner of the RV, and step on the floor to find soft spots. Its not the end of the world in my opinion, but it may be that there was a leak at some point and other damage may be hidden. A backup cam on the back of the RV is a nice to have but not a must. If the RV has slide outs, make sure you get the stabilizer jack that is supposed to help keep it stable. Same goes for the RV, if it has the stock stabilizers you will want to upgrade to something better. I also highly recommend a dehumidifer for the RV, here in Louisiana it has been a life saver.

Lastly, to re emphasize the roof sealing process. There are two types of roofs, you get sealant A for roof A, sealant b for roof b. I cant remember what the two types are, but listen it doesnt matter what the seller or even an RV dealership tells you. Every single year on a sunny day, you will pull, scrape, and peel the roof sealant out of the seams. You will then, re apply the proper sealant to the same seam, ensuring uniform application. This is something you should never skip or else you will get water in the walls of your RV. It rains more here in Louisiana than any other state in the continental US, this is what hundreds of RV dealers told us and in Washington State the same thing from the RV dealer in Tacoma. If I was going to neglect everything else, this would be the one thing that I did actually do.

Re: Buying used camper / 1/2 ton chevy [Re: albtrapper] #7719963
11/17/22 12:46 PM
11/17/22 12:46 PM
NW Illinois
A
trapper
trapper
A

NW Illinois
Thanks so much. I learn more every day . Leaning towards newer model . More money . Like buying a truck and i really don't enjoy that . All replies help me alot . Thanks Pat

Re: Buying used camper / 1/2 ton chevy [Re: albtrapper] #7721759
11/19/22 03:30 PM
11/19/22 03:30 PM
NW Illinois
A
trapper
trapper
A

NW Illinois
Allen , no 5th wheel . really like my topper .
No rain damage or soft floors . Not looking for a project .
Weight distribution hitch is mandatory . I'm buying new generator . Thanks , Pat

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread