No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Euro mount questions [Re: Bigbrownie] #7719427
11/16/22 08:42 PM
11/16/22 08:42 PM
East Texas
B
BTLowry Offline
trapper
BTLowry  Offline
trapper
B

East Texas
Originally Posted by Bigbrownie
Stick wand in brain cavity, hose out brains.

Do this at your own risk
Brain matter to the face as well as everywhere else from head to toe is a strong possibility if you do not think this through BEFORE openeing the valve

Re: Euro mount questions [Re: BTLowry] #7719439
11/16/22 08:55 PM
11/16/22 08:55 PM
Oregon
H
H2ORat Online content OP
trapper
H2ORat  Online Content OP
trapper
H

Oregon
Originally Posted by BTLowry
Originally Posted by Bigbrownie
Stick wand in brain cavity, hose out brains.

Do this at your own risk
Brain matter to the face as well as everywhere else from head to toe is a strong possibility if you do not think this through BEFORE openeing the valve

Got it - - rain gear and face shield it is.

Re: Euro mount questions [Re: H2ORat] #7719468
11/16/22 09:17 PM
11/16/22 09:17 PM
Nebraska
J
Jkme Offline
trapper
Jkme  Offline
trapper
J

Nebraska
Look up maceration. Really easy. Doesn't stink too bad. Takes about 3 weeks. Great results. This past year I have done a bear skull, cougar skull, and elk skull all with great results.

Re: Euro mount questions [Re: ol' dad] #7719471
11/16/22 09:19 PM
11/16/22 09:19 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by ol' dad
Congrats to your dad! You definitely want to make a memory out of it! I just finished up this year's archery elk. The one on the left is last year's. I thought they turned out good.

I soaked mine overnight with tap water and Dawn dish soap. The next day I simmered it (don't boil) for about an hour and a half with tap water and a box of baking soda. Once I pulled it out I hit it with a power washer and everything came off slick as a whistle. I let it dry and then squirted it down with a mixture of 40 volume cream mixed with a little 3% peroxide using a squirt bottle. Mixing the thicker cream with a little regular peroxide to thin it enough that it will squirt out of a bottle was nice. I was able to get up inside all the crevices and cavities. It's cheaper than 40 volume liquid form and it works better than using a paintbrush with straight cream. Afterwards I put it in a black garbage bag with a heater on it overnight. Next morning it was as white as I wanted.

The lighting in my living room is not very bright so they don't appear to be as white as what they really are.

[Linked Image]

Ol dad

Dang it man!! Those look awesome! Outstanding work on the kills and the skulls!! I want an elk now, lol!!

Re: Euro mount questions [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7719494
11/16/22 09:49 PM
11/16/22 09:49 PM
Oregon
H
H2ORat Online content OP
trapper
H2ORat  Online Content OP
trapper
H

Oregon
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Use Mop&Glo brushed on as a final sealer. Gives skull a very mild citris odor too along with a soft matte finish.

do you use the mop and glo on the entire set or just the head (not the antlers)?

Re: Euro mount questions [Re: H2ORat] #7719548
11/16/22 10:38 PM
11/16/22 10:38 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
My group buries the skull in the ground and we put a barrel over the antlers. Retrieve it the following August or September. We don’t bleach ours, but you certainly could. I have one at home that was cleaned by by beetles.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread