No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Wife’s horse gift [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7720450
11/17/22 09:23 PM
11/17/22 09:23 PM
Nevada
N
nvwrangler Offline
trapper
nvwrangler  Offline
trapper
N

Nevada
If she's riding mostly western and in the winter i would suggest

1 long winter saddle coat with the split up the back so it doesn't ride up
2 nice pair of shotgun chaps , soft and 3 or 4 oz leather i like smooth out
3 insulated riding boots
4 pink stormy krumer

Last edited by nvwrangler; 11/17/22 09:30 PM.
Re: Wife’s horse gift [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7720532
11/17/22 10:44 PM
11/17/22 10:44 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
As others have mentioned, is she riding English or western ?

It really doesn't matter , unless she wants to show . I have ridden in total English riding breeches in western gear, sometimes to the dismay of my western cowgirl friends, lol, but I wear what I want to and mix and match all the time. I'll wear jeans or formal English leather lined breeches , it all depends on my mood and what I'm doing on the ride.

I would say, have her wear comfortable clothes that she can layer for cold weather. After she gets some time in the saddle, she can choose what styles she gravitates towards.

NVwrangler's advice is good, however, make sure if her instructor is teaching her in English style..in other words, riding in an English saddle . A helmet is safety no matter what style is chosen. Though the difference there is, that English riders always wear helmets , it is part of the style , just as western cowboy hats are in western riding. Except that cowboy hats do not provide protection in case of a fall. English wear helmets as this riding style, often involves jumping. So the chance of a fall is basically more than western.

English breeches are nice in that they are fitted , with leather traction on seat and inside of the knees. The seams are placed to where on long rides, there will be no chafing or rubbing raw on the skin. Form fitting breeches also keep cloth from bunching under the legs and causing rubbed skin .

But for what she is doing now, I would say have her comfortable.

Will the instructor have a cow if she wears what she wants ? Or does the instructor want style in formal look ? Ask her what style she rides. Ask what gear she uses. Just be interested in some details and you can find out without letting out a surprise. Ask her what "look" in riding style she likes. Have her explain.

You may probably need to have her present to try on helmets to see what fits and feels best. Some things are very hard to get without trying them on first. You can still give her the surprise, just take her out to choose herself what she wants and have help in proper safe fitting too. She will love that , and get the right things on the first go.

Sounds like a nice fun time you are planning.

Re: Wife’s horse gift [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7720553
11/17/22 11:13 PM
11/17/22 11:13 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
A few new special horses.
Saddles and all the related gear.
Horse barn with riding arena, horse wash bay, hay and grain storage, storage for truck and trailer, and apartment to stay in when watching sick horses.
A new Super Duty dually and horse trailer with quarters.
All sorts of riding duds, and a pair of gloves.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Wife’s horse gift [Re: Willy Firewood] #7720610
11/18/22 02:55 AM
11/18/22 02:55 AM
Montana
D
Deerkiller Offline
trapper
Deerkiller  Offline
trapper
D

Montana
Originally Posted by Willy Firewood
A few new special horses.
Saddles and all the related gear.
Horse barn with riding arena, horse wash bay, hay and grain storage, storage for truck and trailer, and apartment to stay in when watching sick horses.
A new Super Duty dually and horse trailer with quarters.
All sorts of riding duds, and a pair of gloves.

Horses are cheap said no one!

[Linked Image]
Re: Wife’s horse gift [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7720669
11/18/22 07:43 AM
11/18/22 07:43 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Get some blue jeans and flannel shirts big enough to wear long johns underneath. Get her some pointy toed riding boots two sizes to big so she can wear two pair of wool socks inside them. Some gloves insulated with thinsulate. Get her a hat big enough to fit over a wool scarf wrapped over her head and ears. Then after a day of winter pasture I mean trail riding, trigger can just idle till spring

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Wife’s horse gift [Re: TurkeyTime] #7720677
11/18/22 07:47 AM
11/18/22 07:47 AM
MD
D
DaveP Offline
trapper
DaveP  Offline
trapper
D

MD
Originally Posted by TurkeyTime
My advice is to get her away from horse riding while you aren't in too deep.

My wife had ONE horse when we got married in the '80s.
Somehow, wound up with 4 or 5 by the late '90s.

Haven't had ANY last dozen years;or so.
And I'm good with that...

Good luck!

Re: Wife’s horse gift [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7720776
11/18/22 10:15 AM
11/18/22 10:15 AM
MT (Big Sky Country)
A
Allan Minear Offline
trapper
Allan Minear  Offline
trapper
A

MT (Big Sky Country)
Just remember this .... what do you call a husband with a stable full of horses ...... big daddy no bucks ha ha

I'd suggest flannel lined pants and some good winter boots and stirrups that won't allow those boots get to far into them so if the h rose goes down on some ice she can kick her feet out and get away .

A custom pair of chaps or even chinks will help riding horses in the winter can be a cold miserable bugger so extra layers can help keep her warm .

Re: Wife’s horse gift [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7720986
11/18/22 04:50 PM
11/18/22 04:50 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Allan, you're in the area of those historical Miles City saddles , I think. Always liked those, with the high gullet, cowboys could ride a dozen horses in a day and use the same saddle on them all. I preferred my 1923 Hamley form fitter. Almost 13 inch seat . I just loved it. I had the written documentation of the year it was made, in Pendleton, the cowboy's name who first ordered it . But didn't like the weight. I used it on absolutely everyone. Drafts, mules, thoroughbreds, Arabs quarter horses, appys, bigger ponies, tall warm bloods, everyone. With a three-quarter sized tree, and a pad, it fit just fine in comfort.

Those custom saddles where you are have always been nice. Lots of ranch country where you are.

Good reminder on boots that won't get stuck in the stirrups. I have aluminum, wide pad stirrups that are specially shaped for easy exit , along with the fenders , or stirrup leathers that will quick release entirely from the tree hook, , in the event of being stuck .

The wind blows hard in your backyaaad, Allen.

Re: Wife’s horse gift [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7721051
11/18/22 06:14 PM
11/18/22 06:14 PM
Frazee, MN
B
backroadsarcher Offline
trapper
backroadsarcher  Offline
trapper
B

Frazee, MN
Originally Posted by K9BeavCoon
Gave my wife horse riding lessons for our 11th anniversary and is loving it and so I wanna get her something for Christmas to help with that. I asked the lady giving lessons what she thought and while I appreciate her help, I’m thinkin she’s a little too over the top horse lady for me. Figured you guys might be able to share common sense experience on the matter.

She said: 1. Her own riding helmet 2. Fleece lined riding pants 3. Winter riding gloves.

I think: 1. I understand helmet 2.Riding pants? What makes it a riding pant? Is it uncomfortable to ride in bibs? Would merino bottoms under jeans make more sense? 3. Wouldn’t some insulated Kinco’s work? Or does a person need extra dexterity or something?

Idk a dang thing about this stuff. Any ideas or advice would be helpful

My wife is a horse nut so I asked her. She said helmet and riding pants for sure.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread