Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Snow trapping help #7722119
11/19/22 11:43 PM
11/19/22 11:43 PM
Saskatchewan
S
Sasktrapper06 Offline OP
trapper
Sasktrapper06  Offline OP
trapper
S

Saskatchewan
I'm new to trapping with legholds and am having trouble with keeping snow drifts off my sets. The traps go off well without the hard snow over them but once it gets caked on, a coyote isn't heavy enough to compress the snow. It also covers up my dirt hole and bait. I'm up in Saskatchewan, we currently have about 2 feet of snow and it blows every day.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on places to set? Fields are too deep to get into with a truck and so are most of the less used roads. I have a snowmobile, but it can be difficult to load everything on it and is a lot easier out of a truck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Snow trapping help [Re: Sasktrapper06] #7722167
11/20/22 02:10 AM
11/20/22 02:10 AM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
Get a sled to pull behind your snowmachine. You can carry a lot more than on the back. Also what kind of snowmachine do you have? A lot of them aren't designed to pull a sled and you will spend a lot of time stuck if you don't have the right snowmachine. When snow gets that deep I don't set in the dirt, I go to making sets in the snow, bedding the trap in the snow, usually on wax paper, cover with wax paper and then snow if it isn't going to snow soon. But I prefer to just put wax paper over the trap and let it snow over naturally if it is snowing or is going to snow soon. No matter what you do if you move snow it tends to freeze and set up hard. Try and find places where the wind doesn't drift the snow to set. Many recommend setting under trees where traps are protected from the majority of the snow. I do that some but I have found that setting under trees here it often warms up and the snow drips out of the trees all over your trap and freezes into a hard crust, setting in the open you will get more snow over your trap and you will have to reset it because it has too much snow over it if it snows a bunch, but it doesn't usually crust over as hard. Ideal is shaded places that aren't actually under any trees. Also black traps collect heat and melt out, especially if they catch any sun. White painted traps work much better setting in snow.
If you have a lot of wind you may find places where it blows all the snow off and leaves bare ground. In those places you can set in the dirt and keep traps working, but dirtholes tend to catch snow and fill up, flat sets or pee posts are more weather resistant.

Re: Snow trapping help [Re: Sasktrapper06] #7722460
11/20/22 12:26 PM
11/20/22 12:26 PM
SD
Boone Liane Offline
trapper
Boone Liane  Offline
trapper

SD
Switch to snares.

Re: Snow trapping help [Re: Sasktrapper06] #7722541
11/20/22 02:27 PM
11/20/22 02:27 PM
Saskatchewan
S
Sasktrapper06 Offline OP
trapper
Sasktrapper06  Offline OP
trapper
S

Saskatchewan
We use a lot of Ram power snares around baits but it's nice in some areas to just set a couple of legholds instead of trying to establish a bait.

I think power snares are probably our best bet once the snow hits the ground.

Re: Snow trapping help [Re: Sasktrapper06] #7723043
11/21/22 12:10 AM
11/21/22 12:10 AM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
Snares

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91