No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Wi hunters [Re: Sprung & Rusty] #7726049
11/24/22 02:48 PM
11/24/22 02:48 PM
S Illinois, former cheesehead
K
Kelly Offline
trapper
Kelly  Offline
trapper
K

S Illinois, former cheesehead
Crossguns/bows legal for anyone in archery season!

Before anyone says it I’m a born and raised cheesehead for the vast majority of my 73 years. Only moved south because of the weather and health reasons in 2020.

Last edited by Kelly; 11/24/22 02:50 PM.

Enjoy Mother Nature's Glory, everyday!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

Re: Wi hunters [Re: AJE] #7726051
11/24/22 02:50 PM
11/24/22 02:50 PM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline
trapper
tlguy  Offline
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Originally Posted by AJE
Originally Posted by Sprung & Rusty
Please outline your biggest concerns going forward.

Deer baiting. The honest guys struggle to compete with illegal bait piles. Baiting is illegal in most Wi counties, but you wouldn't know it.

Another baiting ban coming for Lincoln Co, another cwd positive found a week ago.

CWD factories aka deer farms are my biggest concern. Love it or hate it, we see more deer when we have bait piles. We hunt Langlade county where baiting is banned for 3 years because of a CWD positive deer at a farm. So many of the baiting bans are due to deer farms, and they're shipping sick deer all over the country so rich guys can pay $30k to hang a trophy on their wall.

Certainly plenty of hunters kill plenty of deer without bait piles, they're probably better hunters than me, but anyone on here who wants to bash bait hunters better be setting nothing but blind sets or you're a dang hypocrite. We hunt big woods with sparse natural food to concentrate deer. Our food plots get obliterated by the end of October. Our buck pots went unclaimed 3 straight years, all while baiting was banned and we didn't use it. This year a guy on the neighboring property put out a 50lb bag of corn a week before season and activity on our land dropped significantly, meanwhile he shot a buck opening day.

What really ticks me off is aome wardens don't have time or don't care to enforce it. Hunters account for a good deal of the DNR's funding. I'd like to see license prices double, and double or triple the number of wardens.

Re: Wi hunters [Re: Sprung & Rusty] #7726084
11/24/22 03:55 PM
11/24/22 03:55 PM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
loss of habitat quantity and quality.
without this wolves, baiting, number of doe tags, reduced bag limits mean little.

Used to be alot more logging, especially clear cutting in the northern 1/2. You want more deer? thin and or clear cut more. Alot of the north is poor deer habitat.

Farmers are clearing out fence rows and small woodlots, they want to plow every square ft they can.

Invasive species like buckthorn degrade acres of woodland, swamps are covered in phragmites, gone are the cattails and diversity that fed muskrats and ducks from lots of swamp land.
Forests all over the state are suffering.

Unlike the rest I have an answer of sorts.
Base landowners property taxes on several factors that all benefit wildlife. Got 5 acres and house in the burbs? if your 5 acres is all lawn high taxes, plant 4 acres in native grasses, forbs, trees and shrubs and get a big savings on property taxes.
Own and farm 80 acres? if its nothing but bare crop land higher taxes. 80 acres and it has fence rows, a small woodlot and that small wet corner you plant every year but yeilds very poor crops is now a small wet area left to nature much lower taxes.
Own 20 acres in the country that mostly woods and a house in one corner, if you manage for invasive plants, diverse plant life and wildlife habitat get a lower tax rate. Just let it go with no management higher tax rate.

We as a society whine constantly about climate change and our Gov't spends billions on it. we could spend it on lowering taxes on landowners that respect mother nature instead. It would benefit all.
I doubt it will happen tho as there will have to be a way for out political class to get a cut or they won't do it.

Re: Wi hunters [Re: Sprung & Rusty] #7726091
11/24/22 04:10 PM
11/24/22 04:10 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Online content
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Online Content
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
loss of land is #1 that is being divided up into smaller parcels and the not in my back yard crew complains about all the deer but you say I could hunt that they say oh no not by my house you need to be like a half mile away or more.

but where are the deer ?

in my backyard eating everything ! then that is where I would need to be to do anything about it.

other things
CWD is a concern not one we are going to get rid of any time soon so how do we live with it now 20 years in.

are we going to admit raptors spread it , deer farms a concern also.

wolves don't effect me a lot but as people leave hunting wolf areas it does , the population is way too high there needs to be a number set and we need to kill a set number every year.

bear , seems we may need to change the structure some as the bear move farther and farther south.

baiting is an issue if it spreads the CWD , and stores with pallets of feed , protein blocks , mineral licks need a cease and desist letter for food specifically marketed for deer and should be made to post a DNR map of prohibited bait counties near each display send the letter this year so they can just not order the stuff next year.

it would be nice to move muzzle loader season to follow youth season youth go Thursday through Sunday then put muzzle loader through to the following Sunday , it is about useless the 7 days after gun deer
for the counties that need more deer taken just make gun deer 2 weeks like around the metro area and put muzzle loader right after youth weekend.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Wi hunters [Re: Sprung & Rusty] #7726125
11/24/22 05:37 PM
11/24/22 05:37 PM
Southern Wisconsin
F
Fishdog One Offline
trapper
Fishdog One  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Wisconsin
I seem to recall an October muzzle loader season once, the bow hunting lobby would scream more than about crossbows over that. I am in an urban setting and have more deer tags than we can use right next to my subdivision, because the deer live in the subdivision conservancy. I didn't hunt Sunday to Wednesday so my granddaughter would maybe have a chance at a buck on my 30 acres. She hit an eight point but we did not come up with it, still looking.

Born twice, die once
Re: Wi hunters [Re: Kelly] #7726292
11/24/22 09:03 PM
11/24/22 09:03 PM
NW WI
schweg2 Offline
trapper
schweg2  Offline
trapper

NW WI
Originally Posted by Kelly
Crossguns/bows legal for anyone in archery season!

Before anyone says it I’m a born and raised cheesehead for the vast majority of my 73 years. Only moved south because of the weather and health reasons in 2020.

agreed

Re: Wi hunters [Re: Sprung & Rusty] #7726358
11/24/22 10:24 PM
11/24/22 10:24 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Online content
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Online Content
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
I would make the argument that the xbows are the more ethical way to go

your 90 pound woman and your old man , the 70 pound kid , they just are not going to draw enough weight to adequately put down a deer quickly and reliably.

I knew a lot of people with messed up shoulders who had given up on bow hunting , it was both expensive and a hassle to get a disabled permit for xbow.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Wi hunters [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7727851
11/27/22 12:49 AM
11/27/22 12:49 AM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
I would make the argument that the xbows are the more ethical way to go

I don't know. I'm not fully convinced about that. Too often some people seem to think they're Superman with a crossbow and appear more likely to take shots they ought not to be attempting.

Last edited by AJE; 11/27/22 12:50 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread