No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: knife sharpener [Re: ~ADC~] #7726569
11/25/22 09:43 AM
11/25/22 09:43 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by ~ADC~
https://www.walmart.com/ip/AccuSharp-Knife-and-Tool-Sharpener-070C/44759753 - 10 bucks at Walmart. Put's a ridiculously sharp edge on any knife I have ever tried. Try it. Only this brand, no others work as well. Lay the knife on it's back with the blade hanging out towards you over the edge of the counter and run the tool down the blade with good pressure. I use it for all my hunting, fillet, skinning, pocket, butchering and kitchen knives.

I use the yellow one sold at wm ..is the white one different?

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: knife sharpener [Re: ~ADC~] #7726571
11/25/22 09:45 AM
11/25/22 09:45 AM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
https://www.walmart.com/ip/AccuSharp-Knife-and-Tool-Sharpener-070C/44759753 - 10 bucks at Walmart. Put's a ridiculously sharp edge on any knife I have ever tried. Try it. Only this brand, no others work as well. Lay the knife on it's back with the blade hanging out towards you over the edge of the counter and run the tool down the blade with good pressure. I use it for all my hunting, fillet, skinning, pocket, butchering and kitchen knives.

Those things are great for starting a knife (I use one) but you'll never get a knife truly sharp with anything like that. Start out with that and then touch it up with a steel. Or get a quality knife sharpener like the work sharp.

By a good steel I mean one like this: https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/...ZhzMEJLxf7-zlgD5c0-qS_N9IEhoC1JoQAvD_BwE

Last edited by BernieB.; 11/25/22 09:47 AM.
Re: knife sharpener [Re: coop] #7726609
11/25/22 10:44 AM
11/25/22 10:44 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
if you have a good edge to start with you can go a long time with just a diamond steel
eventually you want to take more metal off to reset the secondary bevel that is where the electrics are really handy

although you can use a very fine belt and keep up on the edge also with the eclectic

I like the Dexter https://www.amazon.com/Dexter-Outdo...mond+steel&qid=1669386598&sr=8-5

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: knife sharpener [Re: coop] #7726625
11/25/22 11:18 AM
11/25/22 11:18 AM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
For a stone, hone, or steel always go diamond. Some blades are very hard steel so take a long time on anything else but diamond. Plus diamond does a great job on everything. I hone broadheads on diamonds to get them sticky sharp. They cut with no feeling and very little pressure - I have nicked myself. Test with a rubber band - barely touch it and it cuts.

I don’t really care for the accusharp type carbide sharpeners. But maybe I have not given them enough chance or don’t use them correctly.

The Ken onion belt sharpener interests me, but I don’t want to grind away too much blade. Would like to see one in person.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: knife sharpener [Re: Willy Firewood] #7726637
11/25/22 11:53 AM
11/25/22 11:53 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Willy Firewood
For a stone, hone, or steel always go diamond. Some blades are very hard steel so take a long time on anything else but diamond. Plus diamond does a great job on everything. I hone broadheads on diamonds to get them sticky sharp. They cut with no feeling and very little pressure - I have nicked myself. Test with a rubber band - barely touch it and it cuts.

I don’t really care for the accusharp type carbide sharpeners. But maybe I have not given them enough chance or don’t use them correctly.

The Ken onion belt sharpener interests me, but I don’t want to grind away too much blade. Would like to see one in person.

it has everything to do with how coarse of a grit and speed you use
you can hone with a canvas belt & jewelers rouge and not take anything off hardly or you can hit it with a 150 or 80 grit and pull some serious metal like when forming a new tip on a knife with a broken tip

once I get an edge established at my angle I almost never go lower than 320 grit and likely a well used 320 at that there are some good videos out there where they get really good close ups of the blade and how the bur rolls as you take metal off

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: knife sharpener [Re: BernieB.] #7726690
11/25/22 01:43 PM
11/25/22 01:43 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by BernieB.

Those things are great for starting a knife (I use one) but you'll never get a knife truly sharp with anything like that. Start out with that and then touch it up with a steel. Or get a quality knife sharpener like the work sharp.

By a good steel I mean one like this: https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/...ZhzMEJLxf7-zlgD5c0-qS_N9IEhoC1JoQAvD_BwE

I have an F.Dick steel that's 100 years old.Still works great.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: knife sharpener [Re: coop] #7726756
11/25/22 03:29 PM
11/25/22 03:29 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
That is interesting, I have seen guys sharpen a blade on many things including cardboard.

What about friction caused heat changing the temper right at the thinnest part - the cutting edge?

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: knife sharpener [Re: coop] #7726758
11/25/22 03:30 PM
11/25/22 03:30 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
Upstate - That is quite a claim!
It is surprising that it works at all at that age.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: knife sharpener [Re: coop] #7726763
11/25/22 03:34 PM
11/25/22 03:34 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I use a wetwheel to thin blades-no damage from heat that way-then finish with med then fine handstones and strop.You can get a polished edge on a good kinfe-like a scalpel-with extremely fine waterstones,but that is not really necessary,but makes for effortless cleanskinning.
Heat from any kind of grinder can wreck the temper like you said especially at the thinnest part,causing the edge to not hold.

Developing and maintaining a good sharp edge on a knife is pretty straightforward.
First raise a burr with a good stone,then reduce the burr with finer stones,then remove the burr with a strop.
Many knives have too thick a blade,making it tougher to get a good edge for skinning.
I use the wetstone to thin the blade,it makes the subsequent sharpenings quicker,and you can hone at 15-20 degrees.

Last edited by Boco; 11/25/22 04:09 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread