No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Excluding Housecats [Re: SwoleTrapper] #7730129
11/29/22 05:38 PM
11/29/22 05:38 PM
Adirondacks, NY
Fisher Man Offline
trapper
Fisher Man  Offline
trapper

Adirondacks, NY
Your thinking is very flawed in my opinion. Your disregard for a cat killing a bird really gets me. "Imprisoned in the house"? Give me a break. Foxes snapping bones? The more you speak the madder I get.

Re: Excluding Housecats [Re: SwoleTrapper] #7730174
11/29/22 06:30 PM
11/29/22 06:30 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
What size traps you setting for fox?
I look at it this way, if you care for your pet you’ll keep them inside, penned up, or have a fenced yard large enough for them. The properties I trap shouldn’t have to accommodate others animals just because they don’t take care of them. You better just hope there aren’t any trappers around you because I doubt they’ll feel the same as you.

Re: Excluding Housecats [Re: Strut10] #7730181
11/29/22 06:41 PM
11/29/22 06:41 PM
Eastern W by God V
Crowfoot Offline
trapper
Crowfoot  Offline
trapper

Eastern W by God V
Originally Posted by Strut10
Originally Posted by warrior
Free ranging cats need trapped. They are a non native invasive predators that kill billions of native species worldwide and responsible for the extinction of several native species and reservoirs of zoonotic disease that threatens other endangered wildlife.

THIS................is the harsh truth that cat owners / lovers don't want to hear.

I'm with this.
A pet gets a collar, chain/or pen, a box (if outside).
Let it run loose ..... no holds barred.
Neighbor moved in near here wit 12 cats brought from other home. All loose porch cats.
Cry like a baby if/when one/some come up missing.
Totally irresponsible, IMO.
No collar, no tag, no taxes paid, no nuthin. And expect all to go well ? ? ?
Idiots.

Re: Excluding Housecats [Re: SwoleTrapper] #7730203
11/29/22 07:20 PM
11/29/22 07:20 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Crow foot I'm sure paying taxes on those cats will solve all your problems with them. Just wow can't figure out where that would help anything or why you would bring it up or what animal tags have to do with anything.

Now to the guy having foxes with broken bones what the heck trap size are you setting. Funny I have been shaped in every trap I run except a 330 and never had a broken bone or more than a blood blister. Bridger #5s mb 750s included .Got to call bs on that from my experience and those big traps are not legal here unless coverd by water.. I have never had a fox with more than maybe a small cut when I missed a sharp bur on a new trap.

Re: Excluding Housecats [Re: Providence Farm] #7730395
11/29/22 10:28 PM
11/29/22 10:28 PM
Eastern W by God V
Crowfoot Offline
trapper
Crowfoot  Offline
trapper

Eastern W by God V
Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Crow foot I'm sure paying taxes on those cats will solve all your problems with them. Just wow can't figure out where that would help anything or why you would bring it up or what animal tags have to do with anything.

I have, and have had dogs.
They are tagged, licensed and (by law) under my complete control. I keep them penned, leashed and in my sight when loose.
If I would let the run loose and unattended like house cats, then by definition they would be feral, I will not complain if someone traps them, or they get eaten by wild critters, or even shot. They are my responsibility ..... just like my children.
Remember, pets are a :member of the family " ..... right ?
If you think that much of your puss, keep it in check. Else, its wild and on its own.
Maybe if cat folks had to play by the same rules as dog folks, they would be more responsible pet owners.
Why do cats get a free pass ?
Thanks

Re: Excluding Housecats [Re: SwoleTrapper] #7730427
11/29/22 10:57 PM
11/29/22 10:57 PM
SD
T
TC1 Offline
trapper
TC1  Offline
trapper
T

SD
Free range cats don’t do well around here. I like partridge, pheasants, bluebirds, robins, orioles, cardinals, etc… too much. No pass here…..

Long live the MAGA King
Re: Excluding Housecats [Re: Actor] #7730437
11/29/22 11:03 PM
11/29/22 11:03 PM
Louisiana
M
MattLA Offline
trapper
MattLA  Offline
trapper
M

Louisiana
Originally Posted by Actor
In enough time the cats will be taken care of by red fox... the best bait in the world for red fox is cat!

Garry-

Garry I will remember this, thank you for the tip!

Re: Excluding Housecats [Re: Crowfoot] #7730446
11/29/22 11:08 PM
11/29/22 11:08 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Crowfoot

I have, and have had dogs.
They are tagged, licensed and (by law) under my complete control. I keep them penned, leashed and in my sight when loose.
If I would let the run loose and unattended like house cats, then by definition they would be feral, I will not complain if someone traps them, or they get eaten by wild critters, or even shot. They are my responsibility ..... just like my children.
Remember, pets are a :member of the family " ..... right ?
If you think that much of your puss, keep it in check. Else, its wild and on its own.
Maybe if cat folks had to play by the same rules as dog folks, they would be more responsible pet owners.
Why do cats get a free pass ?
Thanks

Sounded like you thought paying the government a tax makes you some special treatment? I don't see how paying a tax to own your dog does you are anyone else any good.? Maybe it gets you into the in crowd?

When the cats are a problem they get delt with. Just the same as any licensed dogs that would become a problem. O wait we don't license our dogs. Maybe in some cities?

I suppose if I want to let my cats run my 96 acres or if I let my dogs out with out a leash my yard may be large enough to satisfy your requirements for that? I mean it is many times larger than any dog park I have seen.

But not a singe but of this has a thing to do with the guy wanting to trap some varmints and avoid catching his cats. Regardless of your views on it that's what he asked. I'm sure he doesn't care one dbit what you think about his cats.

I feel the same about my animals with the exception of if anyone messed with them on my land. My animals have the right to be here anyone or anything else does not. So If someone shot them it would not end well for that individual.

That said I have no hard feelings or expect any different than any animal I own than for it to be shot on sight if it's where it's not supposed to be and causing problems. If it's a problem I will shoot them myself.

Last edited by Providence Farm; 11/29/22 11:22 PM.
Re: Excluding Housecats [Re: MattLA] #7730466
11/29/22 11:23 PM
11/29/22 11:23 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by MattLA
Originally Posted by Actor
In enough time the cats will be taken care of by red fox... the best bait in the world for red fox is cat!

Garry-

Garry I will remember this, thank you for the tip!

Finally a market for the excess cats.

Re: Excluding Housecats [Re: SwoleTrapper] #7730486
11/29/22 11:44 PM
11/29/22 11:44 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
***see LT Grey for "fox bait" fresh or tainted. He's got it wink

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Excluding Housecats [Re: Providence Farm] #7730615
11/30/22 08:51 AM
11/30/22 08:51 AM
Eastern W by God V
Crowfoot Offline
trapper
Crowfoot  Offline
trapper

Eastern W by God V

Sounded like you thought paying the government a tax makes you some special treatment? I don't see how paying a tax to own your dog does you are anyone else any good.? Maybe it gets you into the in crowd?

I suppose if I want to let my cats run my 96 acres or if I let my dogs out with out a leash my yard may be large enough to satisfy your requirements for that? I mean it is many times larger than any dog park I have seen.

That dog tax is something the govt came up with, not me. I disagree with it and just wonder why cats aren't included. Its liking taxing pickup trucks but not cars.

At the gate, or in the middle, it don't matter to me. Just don't cry when they go astray due to your irresponsibility.

All part of my suggestion to the OP.
Don't give cats , or any of your pets/animals free range. (unless of course you 96 acres or more smile )

Re: Excluding Housecats [Re: Crowfoot] #7730618
11/30/22 09:08 AM
11/30/22 09:08 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Crowfoot

That dog tax is something the govt came up with, not me. I disagree with it and just wonder why cats aren't included. Its liking taxing pickup trucks but not cars.

At the gate, or in the middle, it don't matter to me. Just don't cry when they go astray due to your irresponsibility.

All part of my suggestion to the OP.
Don't give cats , or any of your pets/animals free range. (unless of course you 96 acres or more smile )

Fare enough and good examples of human nature. I steady od fighting a bs tax point out another group to tax as well.

I have delt with problem animals many times. Nothing like having a pack of dogs belonging to several of the new 3acre land owners chasing your horses when you pull in. Funny how mad they got when they looked over the side of a bridge down the road. Of course since they had been warned 2x they came straight to my door with the sheriffs. Didn't work out like they thought considering the same deputies they showed up with were the ones that told me to shoot them. The neighbors went from smug to tucking tail pretty fast.

So I agree don't get mad when fluffy gets shot. I also feel sorry fro every dog thet is locked in a pen, house or on a lead 90% of its life. That's not how they were born to be. Well at least the breads of dog's I would own anyway. The small companion dogs are not what I'm talking about. I wouldn't own them. Dogs should have a job I think. Right now my border collies job is laying here watching me and waiting for me to make a move toward my boots so she can go for her morning run while I'm feeding stock.

Re: Excluding Housecats [Re: SwoleTrapper] #7730737
11/30/22 11:57 AM
11/30/22 11:57 AM
PA
P
panaxman Offline
trapper
panaxman  Offline
trapper
P

PA
I see a lots of house cats on the roads lately, odd given the low prices of fur this season. Darn roads department mowers I guess smile

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread