No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Irresponsible target shooters.... [Re: upstateNY] #7728185
11/27/22 12:37 PM
11/27/22 12:37 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by upstateNY
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
I hope you talked to the neighbors before calling the law on them?

That's what I was thinking.A discussion may have resulted in a safer shooting direction or putting up a back stop.

More likely to get them bent out of shape and cause more problems. 330 has it right

Re: Irresponsible target shooters.... [Re: Providence Farm] #7728200
11/27/22 12:52 PM
11/27/22 12:52 PM
Eastern W by God V
Crowfoot Offline
trapper
Crowfoot  Offline
trapper

Eastern W by God V
Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Originally Posted by upstateNY

A discussion may have resulted in a safer shooting direction or putting up a back stop.

More likely to get them bent out of shape and cause more problems. 330 has it right

It would likely be an act of futility attempting to introduce common sense to someone that ignorant ..... without creating friction.

Re: Irresponsible target shooters.... [Re: NEYotetrapper] #7728218
11/27/22 01:15 PM
11/27/22 01:15 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Daughter is on the edge of town. At the back of her back yard(outside city limits) is an old RR right of way. Has a berm about 8 feet tall, over grown in brush and trees, rails and ties long gone. Timber then a cow pasture. Me and one of her neighbors (berm in his back yard too) Have shot using this berm as a backstop for more than two decades. I can shoot about 75 yards. So sometimes hi power playing with loads but usually pistols or muzzle loader. Anyway SIL was telling me somebody was complaining and I had to quit. So I asked who and what. Turns out it was just face book. Had a new neighbor call the sheriff a few years ago. That went no where and a few months later his rooster began flogging his kid. He shot the rooster in his yard here inside town limits. Anyway we all get along now. Still dont know who was whining on face book but they quit after a few people told them about the RR berm back stop.

If bullets were hitting my buildings I would confront the shooter(s).

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Irresponsible target shooters.... [Re: NEYotetrapper] #7728222
11/27/22 01:18 PM
WI>>>MN >>>WI
T-Rex Offline
trapper
T-Rex  Offline
trapper

WI>>>MN >>>WI
Reckless discharge of a firearm.

Save your breath. Let the law take care of it. Report each instance, and ask LE to check it out. The next stray bullet could be any
where.

Unless you are on very friendly terms with these neighbors, a visit will only make matters worse. My life and that of my family is worth a lot more than the appearance of being a tolerant neighbor.

Man who mistake shillelagh for fairy wand; see pixie dust, also.
Re: Irresponsible target shooters.... [Re: NEYotetrapper] #7728223
Fontana KS
A
Andrew Eastwood Offline
trapper
Andrew Eastwood  Offline
trapper
A

Fontana KS
Wow, some of y'all must have some really bad neighbors.
In the handful of stray bullet related situations I have had around here a simple conversation resolved the problem and has even lead to friendships in a couple of cases. I believe in a friendly visit before becoming the neighborhood Karen, though it is likely to late for that now that you have called the law and became the Karen. Heck, I opened this thread thinking it would be about someone shooting up road signs or using someone else's property without permission for target practice, not someone shooting on their own place. Yes ricochets can be a problem, but freak things happen even on the best of ranges. The old dirt pile backstop is one of the nastiest as a slower velocity round can do some crazy stuff off of a dirt clod, but a lot of folks consider that dirt pile a safe backstop.

Re: Irresponsible target shooters.... [Re: 330-Trapper] #7728255
11/27/22 01:47 PM
11/27/22 01:47 PM
2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Blaine County Offline
trapper
Blaine County  Offline
trapper

2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
DNR and Sherrif

Both told me Twice on a Pitbull incident

" Quit going over telling the neighbors to do anything "
" you're just warning them....And- if anything goes wrong You are now the Scapegoat ie: target for their Retribution anger.

" just take care of the problem " or call us.

Very few Neighbor s say...Oh Ok- sorry/ we'll change our habbits

I agree. Unless you already know them, I would either call the law or return fire.

If you know them and they are civil and rational people, a talk may not hurt.

Re: Irresponsible target shooters.... [Re: NEYotetrapper] #7728331
11/27/22 03:27 PM
11/27/22 03:27 PM
Western Michigan
Animals Only Offline
trapper
Animals Only  Offline
trapper

Western Michigan
Don't blame the kids. They learn from their parents.

AKA: Rusty Shackleford
Re: Irresponsible target shooters.... [Re: Andrew Eastwood] #7728512
11/27/22 07:47 PM
11/27/22 07:47 PM
WI>>>MN >>>WI
T-Rex Offline
trapper
T-Rex  Offline
trapper

WI>>>MN >>>WI
Originally Posted by Andrew Eastwood
I believe in a friendly visit before becoming the neighborhood Karen,.... you have called the law and became the Karen. Yes ricochets can be a problem, but freak things happen even on the best of ranges.

Karen complains to the manager about a mismarked skirt. Responsible citizens report a good chance of negligent homicide to police. I don't see the difference in a drunk driver and an idiot out shooting without knowing where his bullet is going. Neither is out looking to hurt anyone...until it is too late. Report it!

Re: Irresponsible target shooters.... [Re: T-Rex] #7728526
11/27/22 08:03 PM
11/27/22 08:03 PM
Eastern W by God V
Crowfoot Offline
trapper
Crowfoot  Offline
trapper

Eastern W by God V
Originally Posted by T-Rex

Karen complains to the manager about a mismarked skirt. Responsible citizens report a good chance of negligent homicide to police. I don't see the difference in a drunk driver and an idiot out shooting without knowing where his bullet is going. Neither is out looking to hurt anyone...until it is too late. Report it!

Spot on !
wink

Re: Irresponsible target shooters.... [Re: NEYotetrapper] #7728534
11/27/22 08:06 PM
11/27/22 08:06 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
I'm really glad a lot of you aren't my neighbors.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Irresponsible target shooters.... [Re: yotetrapper30] #7728568
11/27/22 08:37 PM
11/27/22 08:37 PM
WI>>>MN >>>WI
T-Rex Offline
trapper
T-Rex  Offline
trapper

WI>>>MN >>>WI

In that case, that makes two of us.

Re: Irresponsible target shooters.... [Re: NEYotetrapper] #7728583
11/27/22 08:46 PM
11/27/22 08:46 PM
WI>>>MN >>>WI
T-Rex Offline
trapper
T-Rex  Offline
trapper

WI>>>MN >>>WI
This kinda remind me of the chick that was shooting at drones in the air with a .22lr

Re: Irresponsible target shooters.... [Re: yotetrapper30] #7728614
11/27/22 09:08 PM
11/27/22 09:08 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana

I can promise that would be true if you were bouncing bullets by my home. You would be praying the cops would show up first.

I have zero tolerance for ignorance or danger to my family. Maybe you would be ok with a friendly talk. Bounce a round or two near my family and there will be zero talking. But I bet you have not had someone's simple mistake result in the death of one of your kids. I have.

My cousin was shot while putting a roof on his lake house shelter. Som good old boys were blasting away out in the mines. The bullet went in at his trap on the left side and is still in behind his shoulder blade. He was bent over when it hit him. Dr said 1/4" over it would have cut an artery and he would not have made it off the roof.

Funny how those that seem to think it's no big deal have never had a personal loss or near personal loss. But I'm sure that's to be expected from the culture that knows what's best for everyone else.

Myself I take it as personal as if they intentionally aimed their gun at me. They bear the same responsibility and will get the same reaction from me.

Last edited by Providence Farm; 11/27/22 09:41 PM.
Re: Irresponsible target shooters.... [Re: yotetrapper30] #7728695
11/27/22 11:02 PM
11/27/22 11:02 PM
Fontana KS
A
Andrew Eastwood Offline
trapper
Andrew Eastwood  Offline
trapper
A

Fontana KS

Yep. We don't know the whole story and only have the information the OP gave. He found a bullet in a building from a past experience that may or may not have come from the folks shooting this time. These people shot hundreds of rounds and he heard a couple of ricochets. How many of you folks have been in the field and hit that twig in front of the game you was aiming at and missed, that bullet sure didn't continue in the direction you was aiming or where you intended. How many of y'all have been shooting targets and heard that zing, that bullet sure didn't keep going in the direction you was aiming or intended it. Heck what if your shot hit your intended target (be it a critter or target) and tumbled in a direction unknown after a pass through.
There are no perfect people among us even if you think you are. Most of us try and do our best to limit the chances of an issue, but no one that shoots any quantity of rounds can account for the final destination of every round fired unless you limit yourself to one of them indoor ranges with a huge trap at the end and even then the bullet don't always hit the trap where you thought it should have, even paper deflects a bullet some. The neighbor may indeed be a worthless slob and being a richard is in order, but that is not the way to start off trying to resolve the problem. IMO

Re: Irresponsible target shooters.... [Re: NEYotetrapper] #7728707
11/27/22 11:22 PM
11/27/22 11:22 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

OP, I see you are in Kansas. My recollection is that Kansas is about as flat as a pool table. In many cases I could see where 10 acres would be large enough to safely shoot on if you have a decent size hill for a good natural backstop. However, if your neighborhood is as flat as I am imagining then I would be nervous too.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Irresponsible target shooters.... [Re: NEYotetrapper] #7728711
11/27/22 11:26 PM
11/27/22 11:26 PM
alabama
BandB Offline
trapper
BandB  Offline
trapper

alabama
If you are target shooting on a range, there shouldn't be any twigs to hit. He never said a couple of ricochet, he said a number of them, on more than one occasion. If you only have 10 acres, with surrounding neighbors, you dang well need to be aware of what you are doing.

Re: Irresponsible target shooters.... [Re: NEYotetrapper] #7728714
11/27/22 11:27 PM
11/27/22 11:27 PM
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

^^^^^^
I just got to thinking about my reply above.
I was right in my assumption, Kansas really is flat; scientifically/mathematically flatter than a pancake. But not the flattest.
https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/58976/kansas-really-flatter-pancake

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Irresponsible target shooters.... [Re: yotetrapper30] #7728748
11/28/22 12:30 AM
11/28/22 12:30 AM
Jackson Co, KS
N
NEYotetrapper Offline OP
trapper
NEYotetrapper  Offline OP
trapper
N

Jackson Co, KS
I hope you talked to the neighbors before calling the law on them?

No, I didnt have time to waste during one of the busiest days of the year trying to track them down yesterday.

Re: Irresponsible target shooters.... [Re: MattLA] #7728751
11/28/22 12:45 AM
11/28/22 12:45 AM
Jackson Co, KS
N
NEYotetrapper Offline OP
trapper
trapper
N

Jackson Co, KS
Originally Posted by MattLA
Originally Posted by NEYotetrapper
Just wondering if this is a widespread issue or just more of a local issue for us. We have 65 acres on which my MIL resides on and we have a Christmas tree farm and tree nursery business. Her 65 acres is surrounded on 3 sides by homeowners with 10 acres in general. 3 of those homeowners routinely target shoot, more or less in their glorified backyards. They can legally do so if they have 10 acres or more. I had to call the sheriff's office after we found a bullet sticking out of the metal siding on one of our buildings last summer, we had routinely heard ricochets when they were shooting. Today after listening to someone shoot 100s of rounds of pistol and high-powered rifle with a number of ricochets I had had enough an called the sheriff's dept again. The shooting stopped not long after, which I assume was concurrent with the deputy arriving to the property. Is this a result of no kids taking hunter safety classes anymore or just a lack of I dont give a Nope by the general gun owning public. Obviously, I am all in on gun ownership, hunting and target shooting within reason.

Did you ever once walk over there to inquire how they were shooting, what their backstop was or did you just straight call the cops? Sounds to me that you are more annoyed at them shooting than all the "ricochets" by mentioning they have to have 10 acres to legally target shoot. In my opinion, my advice would be to man up and go over there and ask questions to see what the issue may be and offer them some advice. Ask about their guns, ask them if they trap, show them how its done. Thats the problem today, everybody wants to just call the sheriff instead of going to talk to people. Just saying.

The 2 other neighbors shoot on a regular basis and I could really care less if they are being safe about it. The folks yesterday were shooting in a large pasture. They chose to pick a spot in that pasture that sounded like it was 100 yards away from my mother-in-laws house. We have a Christmas tree farm, lots of families were present during the long period of time they were shooting. At 1st I chose to ignore it, but as the number of ricochets increased, I called it in. Not my responsibility to become someone's friend (the target shooters), but it is my responsibility to look out for the safety and wellbeing of those on my property. Your right I should have dropped everything I was doing to go talk to a group that obviously didnt give a (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) about what they were doing. This group that was shooting yesterday was a group I had never dealt with before, not one of the others we have developed a line of communication with.

Re: Irresponsible target shooters.... [Re: NEYotetrapper] #7728755
11/28/22 01:01 AM
11/28/22 01:01 AM
Jackson Co, KS
N
NEYotetrapper Offline OP
trapper
trapper
N

Jackson Co, KS
The group I called in yesterday was not the individual that accidentally put a round into our building. I have a good line of communication now with that individual. He came over an apologized immediately after the deputy contacted him about that incident. I told him then and I have told him multiple times since then I am not opposed to him shooting and even told him I would be willing to help him make a better backstop. Funny how some of you glassed over those details, to make it sound as if multiple ricochets from a group shooting hundreds of rounds was no big deal, and how I should have just been a friendly neighbor. I appreciate those of you who understood the seriousness of the situation and felt like letting the proper personal deal with the situation was the right course of action.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread