Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 43 of 61 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 60 61
Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: TEJAS] #7729210
11/28/22 06:10 PM
11/28/22 06:10 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
Even with knocking the coyotes down you have a serious number of coyotes. Here in this timber country, where there is very minimal trapping for them, and the only ones shot are the rare targets of opportunity that deer hunters and random people shoot, you never see that concentration of coyotes. Even on big baits like you are putting out. Wolf trappers put out big baits like that, and the coyotes hit them a lot more than wolves, but I've never seen them hit them in those numbers.

Now get into the breaks and open country and the coyote densities will be higher, but I've not known anyone to put out big baits in that type of country to know what kind of responses they get.

Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7729236
11/28/22 06:47 PM
Louisiana
AirportTrapper Offline
trapper
AirportTrapper  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
At a dead feral hog here in SE Georgia you will NOT even find a coyote track. Heck buzzards don't even eat em.

That's what I have seen here. Stack them up and nothing touches them.

If it makes a track on this earth , I can catch it.
Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: TEJAS] #7729238
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Yeah, the hog I posted a pic of a month ago that was killed in early September is still there, or was, lol. We finally had to cover it before quail hunting that course.
It’s crazy how the same critter can act completely different based on geography.

Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: TEJAS] #7729257
11/28/22 07:15 PM
11/28/22 07:15 PM
Southeast Louisiana
S
Slipknot Offline
trapper
Slipknot  Offline
trapper
S

Southeast Louisiana
I talked to a guy that has a coyote pen about this and he told me if he dropped off whole hog they will not touch them like said, but if they were gutted or the carcass then they would eat them. It puzzles me too.

Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: TEJAS] #7729394
11/28/22 09:13 PM
11/28/22 09:13 PM
South Texas Brush Country
TEJAS Offline OP
trapper
TEJAS  Offline OP
trapper

There is not much left of the 900 plus pound holiday hog dinner.

[Linked Image]

Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: TEJAS] #7729504
11/28/22 10:52 PM
11/28/22 10:52 PM
East Texas
B
BTLowry Offline
trapper
BTLowry  Offline
trapper
B

East Texas
They certainly eat hogs here.
I have pics of them guarding a hog carcass from buzzards

Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: TEJAS] #7729554
11/28/22 11:29 PM
11/28/22 11:29 PM
Central Texas
C
Centex Trapper Offline
trapper
Centex Trapper  Offline
trapper
C

Central Texas
I have noticed that coyotes seem to shy away from hogs here in Central Texas. But they love deer and jackrabbits. Different dogs with different tastes.

The point is to take what Tejas is doing and see if it might work in your area. Maybe different animal at the bait sight. Maybe smaller, maybe bigger bait pile. Adjust it to your trapping area and your target species. It is similar to way the Canadians have been doing for years with snares around bait sights. Tejas adapted it and made it work in South Texas.

Remember that this is control work, not fur trapping. This is population reduction so his livestock and wildlife has a chance survive. In South Texas, if you don’t control the coyotes, your livestock and wildlife will suffer in a big way.

I applaud Tejas for putting this information out so we can all learn from it. Thanks Tejas!

Bridges Predator Control
Serving Central Texas
Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: TEJAS] #7729732
11/29/22 08:06 AM
11/29/22 08:06 AM
TEJAS Offline OP
trapper
TEJAS  Offline OP
trapper

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
If those aren’t “local” coyotes then that bait has some serious drawing power, unless you’re baiting the edge of the property.

I am confident in saying most are not locals. I know this from the constant recon on the site.

The bait is nowhere near the perimeter. The last thing I want is a coyote popping in to get a snack, and right back out to a safe zone.

Some do exactly that regardless of where the station is. Those are usually the ones that survive the longest.

My goal is to keep them on the ranch until it is their final resting place.

The bait has serious drawing power on its own merit, but there are several other factors that really boost activity at the station.

Some of those things are within your control, and some are not.

Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: TEJAS] #7729795
11/29/22 08:59 AM
11/29/22 08:59 AM
Texas
P
paloduro Offline
trapper
paloduro  Offline
trapper
P

Texas
Why are you not snaring them as they enter the ranch? You would still be using your bait station to draw them, but reducing the risk of them killing deer on the ranch.

Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: paloduro] #7729823
11/29/22 09:33 AM
11/29/22 09:33 AM
TEJAS Offline OP
trapper
TEJAS  Offline OP
trapper

Originally Posted by paloduro
Why are you not snaring them as they enter the ranch?

You would still be using your bait station to draw them, but reducing the risk of them killing deer on the ranch.

Good Question PD.

The reason I don’t is because we have a huge population of javelina.

Thirty of forty head might pass through a single crawl twice a day before the first coyote goes under.

Then you have the feral pigs to deal with as well.

In this particular situation it is much more efficient to use footholds and stay well away from the perimeter.

Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: TEJAS] #7729828
11/29/22 09:41 AM
11/29/22 09:41 AM
Texas
P
paloduro Offline
trapper
paloduro  Offline
trapper
P

Texas
You have a good gig going there, if they will pay you for feeding coyotes for 6 weeks. The ranches I trap usually want 10 days to 3 weeks depending on the size of the ranch.

Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: paloduro] #7729878
11/29/22 10:26 AM
11/29/22 10:26 AM
TEJAS Offline OP
trapper
TEJAS  Offline OP
trapper

Originally Posted by paloduro
You have a good gig going there, if they will pay you for feeding coyotes for 6 weeks.

The ranches I trap usually want 10 days to 3 weeks depending on the size of the ranch.

As you know, this is not contract trapping Palo.

Baiting coyotes allows me to kill a lot more of them in the end. That works for the ranch owner.

We take a good number of deer every season. That leaves us with a surplus of carcasses.

I put that surplus to good use and kill coyotes. I’ll set the bait when time permits.

Most here would agree, anyone that gets to trap coyotes has a good gig.

Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: TEJAS] #7729910
11/29/22 11:28 AM
11/29/22 11:28 AM
Texas
P
paloduro Offline
trapper
paloduro  Offline
trapper
P

Texas
I assumed it was contract trapping, most places won’t pay for full time trappers. Usually large sheep ranches are the only ones willing to pay. Congratulations on a good gig and yes we all have a good gig if we get to trap coyotes. Some gigs are better than others, looks like you have a good one.

Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: TEJAS] #7730045
11/29/22 02:34 PM
11/29/22 02:34 PM
TEJAS Offline OP
trapper
TEJAS  Offline OP
trapper

Thanks Palo Duro!

I really enjoy the Brush Country and all it has to offer.

The abundance of game of all types never ceases to amaze me even after all these years.

Seeing those big mature bucks never gets old. The same goes for those old coyotes.

It is the best of both worlds in my book.

As I get older I’ve found even more appreciation for the simpler things in life. Coyote trapping is certainly at the top of that list.

Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: TEJAS] #7730225
11/29/22 08:00 PM
11/29/22 08:00 PM
TEJAS Offline OP
trapper
TEJAS  Offline OP
trapper

Originally Posted by bearcat2
Even with knocking the coyotes down you have a serious number of coyotes. Here in this timber country, where there is very minimal trapping for them, and the only ones shot are the rare targets of opportunity that deer hunters and random people shoot, you never see that concentration of coyotes. Even on big baits like you are putting out. Wolf trappers put out big baits like that, and the coyotes hit them a lot more than wolves, but I've never seen them hit them in those numbers.

Now get into the breaks and open country and the coyote densities will be higher, but I've not known anyone to put out big baits in that type of country to know what kind of responses they get.

Bearcat, you think there would be a point of diminishing returns on the numbers after a certain amount of time.

Up until now they have managed to bounce back to a certain extent by the time fall rolls around.

What I have noticed is an overall decrease in certain classes of the coyote population.

The abundance of grub that is available in the brush country can sustain a lot of coyotes..

I think that is what allows them to partially rebound year after year.

They just send in more reinforcements.

One thing for certain. The home team doesn't have the depth it once did.

Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: TEJAS] #7730650
11/30/22 10:19 AM
11/30/22 10:19 AM
TEJAS Offline OP
trapper
TEJAS  Offline OP
trapper

Originally Posted by Centex Trapper

I have noticed that coyotes seem to shy away from hogs here in Central Texas. But they love deer and jackrabbits. Different dogs with different tastes.

The point is to take what Tejas is doing and see if it might work in your area. Maybe different animal at the bait sight. Maybe smaller, maybe bigger bait pile. Adjust it to your trapping area and your target species. It is similar to way the Canadians have been doing for years with snares around bait sights. Tejas adapted it and made it work in South Texas.

Remember that this is control work, not fur trapping. This is population reduction so his livestock and wildlife has a chance survive. In South Texas, if you don’t control the coyotes, your livestock and wildlife will suffer in a big way.

I applaud Tejas for putting this information out so we can all learn from it. Thanks Tejas!

Here's a trapper that gets it !

If this didn’t work extremely well I wouldn’t bother with it. Any method that ups the catch numbers the way this does is an effective tool I will take advantage of.

You don’t see trappers passing up a dead cow in a pasture. Why? Because it is an effective means of catching more coyotes.

An established bone yard on a ranch or feedlot is targeted for the same exact reason.

It’s probably a safe bet to say most working ranches have a dead pit. The bait station is just a bone yard where the coyotes can’t haul off with the goods.

Some might think that pulling in coyotes to the area would have a negative impact the deer herd.

Deer mortality is extremely low at this time of year around here. They are in top shape and it shows. Fawns of the year can easily elude Wile E. Coyotes pose no real threat to a healthy deer in peak condition.

The only time coyotes are a serious concern is when the herd is vulnerable. Fawn drop, fighting injuries, and/or post rut rundown are when we see the most mayhem.

Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: TEJAS] #7730657
11/30/22 10:30 AM
11/30/22 10:30 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
So how many coyotes have you taken off this ranch this year vs previous years with/without bait?

Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: Wanna Be] #7731306
11/30/22 10:58 PM
11/30/22 10:58 PM
TEJAS Offline OP
trapper
TEJAS  Offline OP
trapper

So how many coyotes have you taken off this ranch this year vs previous years with/without bait?

I picked up somewhere around fifty at the first of the year. That was when the rut was on and they were not hitting the bait.

The vast majority of those were caught running the road.

The year before one bait station produced over fifty by itself.

Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: TEJAS] #7732765
12/02/22 04:49 PM
12/02/22 04:49 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Originally Posted by TEJAS

I picked up somewhere around fifty at the first of the year. That was when the rut was on and they were not hitting the bait.

The vast majority of those were caught running the road.

The year before one bait station produced over fifty by itself.

How big is this ranch Tejas?

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: TEJAS] #7737840
12/08/22 11:21 AM
12/08/22 11:21 AM
TEJAS Offline OP
trapper
TEJAS  Offline OP
trapper

It’s the busy time of year down here on the border.

There hasn’t been much time for internet surfing.

We’ve killed some heavy hogs this season, but this big fella should hold the ranch record for some time.

Three hundred pound pigs are few and far between.

This old boar weighed in well over 400 pounds.

[Linked Image]

Page 43 of 61 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 60 61
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91