No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Bobcat cubby set question. [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7750727
12/22/22 10:01 AM
12/22/22 10:01 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

It has been a few years since I have seen his post about it, but I think Cattrax uses small mesh domes made from wire mesh (think of an over sized tomato cage cut in half). Then he laces in cedar to weatherize it and traps both ends. I think this would be the hot set up for snow weather. Traps and bait protected, not much weight to haul in, and it converts a cubby to a walk thru that I think is superior.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Bobcat cubby set question. [Re: Leftlane] #7750860
12/22/22 12:01 PM
12/22/22 12:01 PM
Nevada
YamaCat Offline
trapper
YamaCat  Offline
trapper

Nevada
Originally Posted by Leftlane
It has been a few years since I have seen his post about it, but I think Cattrax uses small mesh domes made from wire mesh (think of an over sized tomato cage cut in half). Then he laces in cedar to weatherize it and traps both ends. I think this would be the hot set up for snow weather. Traps and bait protected, not much weight to haul in, and it converts a cubby to a walk thru that I think is superior.

Had a real good friend use this exact method, when season ended , just hang the cubby on a branch for next season.

Re: Bobcat cubby set question. [Re: AJE] #7750904
12/22/22 12:33 PM
12/22/22 12:33 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Originally Posted by AJE
Okay I think I follow what you're saying as far as placing the trap and how to blend in over the barrel. I'll try to work on coming up with some ideas for blockers & fencing. If I fill my tag I'll let you know

I use the smaller and longer barrels over the bigger or wide ones, the smaller ones bring the cat to the trap with the smaller openings then a few rough surfaced sticks for guiding to the trap.

Plastic culvert
[Linked Image]

Barrel set up
[Linked Image]

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Bobcat cubby set question. [Re: Leftlane] #7750913
12/22/22 12:44 PM
12/22/22 12:44 PM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND

Keith Gregerson use hog wire fencing bent in a U and placed upside down. He told me he took 250 bobcats his best year.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: Bobcat cubby set question. [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7751341
12/22/22 08:07 PM
12/22/22 08:07 PM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

That is quite a haul I hope that was back when everyone wanted to buy them. I am convinced that would be the hot set up when a heavy snow came in. Shoot, if you did it right you could probably suspend a visual attracter inside of it.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Bobcat cubby set question. [Re: Leftlane] #7751695
12/23/22 03:25 AM
12/23/22 03:25 AM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
.. if you did it right you could probably suspend a visual attracter inside of it.
'Will do.

And I think I'll try to place the trap right near the edge of the barrel. Instead of fencing it's route on some sets, I may just rely on a blocker to encourage it to pass thru & guide it that way. Also some of my cubbies are wood--if anything they allow me to put the bait in them so I can adhere to our exposed bait law.

Last edited by AJE; 12/23/22 03:34 AM.
Re: Bobcat cubby set question. [Re: Law Dog] #7753825
12/25/22 12:41 AM
12/25/22 12:41 AM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Law Dog
Originally Posted by AJE
Okay I think I follow what you're saying as far as placing the trap and how to blend in over the barrel. I'll try to work on coming up with some ideas for blockers & fencing. If I fill my tag I'll let you know

I use the smaller and longer barrels over the bigger or wide ones, the smaller ones bring the cat to the trap with the smaller openings then a few rough surfaced sticks for guiding to the trap.

Plastic culvert
[Linked Image]

Barrel set up
[Linked Image]

That's a cool picture

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread