No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 24 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 23 24
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: KsTrapper88] #7739181
12/09/22 05:23 PM
12/09/22 05:23 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by KsTrapper88
Well bernie, my point is that by passing a 4 year certified apprenticeship, you are guaranteeing to a potential employer that you know the full spectrum of what is expected of a journeyman lineman and if you don’t you will be fired.

Most non union guys haven’t done an apprenticeship. But you are right there are some good lineman there too. I painted with too broad a brush.

The union bashers in this thread have been painting with a wide brush this whole while.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: KsTrapper88] #7739203
12/09/22 05:47 PM
12/09/22 05:47 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted by KsTrapper88
Well bernie, my point is that by passing a 4 year certified apprenticeship, you are guaranteeing to a potential employer that you know the full spectrum of what is expected of a journeyman lineman and if you don’t you will be fired.

Most non union guys haven’t done an apprenticeship. But you are right there are some good lineman there too. I painted with too broad a brush.

Understood. Doesn't do any good to label people with the same label. Good, hardworking people are in the unions and at places without unions. I have seen both.

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7739214
12/09/22 06:10 PM
12/09/22 06:10 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
You guys may be wondering why I have such an interest in this, and it's more than just the unions giving money to my son's campaign opponent when he was a union member and she was not.

Back in the late 1970's right out of high school I went to work at the Winnebago Factory where they make the motorhomes. A couple years after I started, There were some people who tried to unionize and it came to a vote. I was young and foolish at the time, with very little knowledge of how it all worked, but I voted against it for two reasons. First, I felt like the Union pushers were characterizing the managers as bad people and trying to incite division and jealousy, and I knew many of those people, they were good hardworking people, some even went to my church and were friends of the family. They were just trying to get ahead just like the rest of us. The company VP was one of my dad's best friends. It's a small town and most everyone knows everyone.

Second, even though I was being told I would have better benefits and support from the unions and I would make more money, I feared it would limit my opportunities for advancement. I felt like I could be one of those managers someday, and I didn't want people talking about me like that, and also I thought it would make it harder to move up the ladder so to speak. It might mean more money now, but less over the course of decades if I stayed with the company. Fortunately it failed. The company was good to us, yes we got things like turkeys for thanksgiving and hams for Christmas, plus company picnics, all that.

I did advance, I got two promotions, more responsibility and more pay. In 1984, I quit to trap full time and that was the best decision I ever made, but that's another story.

Here's the point. One of the guys that worked there when I started became a good friend and we fished together, etc. He went up the ladder quite a ways and retired with a lot more money than I'll ever see.

Another guy got promoted to foreman, then general foreman, then manager, then general manager and then ended up as the CEO of the company making at that time around $250,000 a year. Just an ordinary guy I knew, and he even pheasant hunted on the 80 acres of CRP I had in the 1990s. He's retired now but he started at the bottom just like everyone else.

Think about this: If that union vote had been successful, what are the odds that he would have gone from the assembly line all the way to the top? He understood the needs of the rank and file because he used to be one!

I know that there are good hardworking union people, the lazy ones are far and few between, but is it easier to get rid of the bad ones in a union environment, or a non-union environment? I think I know the answer.

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: Jingles] #7739234
12/09/22 06:32 PM
12/09/22 06:32 PM
Co.-Wy. part time AK.
W
wy.wolfer Offline
trapper
wy.wolfer  Offline
trapper
W

Co.-Wy. part time AK.
Originally Posted by Jingles
Have been a long time believer that if you need a union to keep your job you are not doing your job, yes maybe 70 + years ago unions had a purpose in the work place but that purpose has been replaced with union members paying the persons of upper management that probably could not do the job of a new hire

^^ This^^

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: BernieB.] #7739249
12/09/22 06:50 PM
12/09/22 06:50 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by BernieB.
You guys may be wondering why I have such an interest in this, and it's more than just the unions giving money to my son's campaign opponent when he was a union member and she was not.

Back in the late 1970's right out of high school I went to work at the Winnebago Factory where they make the motorhomes. A couple years after I started, There were some people who tried to unionize and it came to a vote. I was young and foolish at the time, with very little knowledge of how it all worked, but I voted against it for two reasons. First, I felt like the Union pushers were characterizing the managers as bad people and trying to incite division and jealousy, and I knew many of those people, they were good hardworking people, some even went to my church and were friends of the family. They were just trying to get ahead just like the rest of us. The company VP was one of my dad's best friends. It's a small town and most everyone knows everyone.

Second, even though I was being told I would have better benefits and support from the unions and I would make more money, I feared it would limit my opportunities for advancement. I felt like I could be one of those managers someday, and I didn't want people talking about me like that, and also I thought it would make it harder to move up the ladder so to speak. It might mean more money now, but less over the course of decades if I stayed with the company. Fortunately it failed. The company was good to us, yes we got things like turkeys for thanksgiving and hams for Christmas, plus company picnics, all that.

I did advance, I got two promotions, more responsibility and more pay. In 1984, I quit to trap full time and that was the best decision I ever made, but that's another story.

Here's the point. One of the guys that worked there when I started became a good friend and we fished together, etc. He went up the ladder quite a ways and retired with a lot more money than I'll ever see.

Another guy got promoted to foreman, then general foreman, then manager, then general manager and then ended up as the CEO of the company making at that time around $250,000 a year. Just an ordinary guy I knew, and he even pheasant hunted on the 80 acres of CRP I had in the 1990s. He's retired now but he started at the bottom just like everyone else.

Think about this: If that union vote had been successful, what are the odds that he would have gone from the assembly line all the way to the top? He understood the needs of the rank and file because he used to be one!

I know that there are good hardworking union people, the lazy ones are far and few between, but is it easier to get rid of the bad ones in a union environment, or a non-union environment? I think I know the answer.

I see where your coming from Bernie.My wife is an example of just the opposite.She works for a power company and put 25 years in the IBEW (Electric Workers Union),,and loved it.While there,,she bid into several different jobs(within the company,,all still union)doing different jobs for more pay.Got to a point though where some plants were shutting down,,restructuring and so forth.She had the opportunity to go Management.Her and I both being long time union members,she diccussed it with me.I said every job you bid into and decisions you have made have been for the better so far.You make the choice,,I back you either way.She went into Management.They were tickled pink to get her,,because by then she knew almost every aspect of the company.And has climbed the ladder ever since and is now one of the Head Supervisors for the company.She could retire any time,,but wants to work a few more years.Also even being Management,,the union folks respect her,,and know she did their jobs for 25 years.P:S: She also always wanted here nursing degree,,so went to full time classes.after full days of work.She is also a Registered Nurse.Quite the "LAZY SLACKER" union member hugh.(not your words but others in this thread)

Last edited by upstateNY; 12/09/22 06:55 PM.

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7739255
12/09/22 06:59 PM
12/09/22 06:59 PM
Custer Co, Idaho
S
sneaky Offline
trapper
sneaky  Offline
trapper
S

Custer Co, Idaho
Unions are the fund raising arm of the Democratic party. I've worked one place where union membership was mandatory. I'll never work for another one. I have a very low opinion of unions, but that's my opinion. If you have a different opinion, that's fine too.

Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: sneaky] #7739262
12/09/22 07:08 PM
12/09/22 07:08 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by sneaky
Unions are the fund raising arm of the Democratic party. I've worked one place where union membership was mandatory. I'll never work for another one. I have a very low opinion of unions, but that's my opinion. If you have a different opinion, that's fine too.

Non union folk donate more to the Dems than any union.Look at Soros,,twitter,,facebook all the media groups.Why do you think the Dems don't regulate THEM.Cause they scrub each others back.By the way,,THIS is exactly what the Commies want,,all us working folk(Both union and non union) fighting each other.

Last edited by upstateNY; 12/09/22 07:10 PM.

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: Ohiowoodchuck] #7739272
12/09/22 07:13 PM
12/09/22 07:13 PM
Missouri
ol' dad Offline
trapper
ol' dad  Offline
trapper

Missouri
Originally Posted by Ohiowoodchuck
The union I belong to got us all hams, choice of pumpkin, pecan or apple pie a hi viz toboggan and a engraved mag lite flashlight. Guess what the company got us. Yes you guessed it, nothing. I know it wasn’t a lot but it was at least a nice gesture by the union for all of us 700 members.

where did the Union get the money to buy you those things?

Ol dad

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7739283
12/09/22 07:30 PM
12/09/22 07:30 PM
KY.usa
rex123 Offline
trapper
rex123  Offline
trapper

KY.usa
I won't say there aren't hard workers in and out of unions but I will say this it is easier to get rid of a non union worker who is crappy you fire them but with a union it is a fight to unload a slob. But don't beat your chest and say I am a conservative and support the 2nd. when your dues go to support ALL the liberal polices of Biden and Nancy. Another words you can"t say you are a race horse and then lay eggs. If you can be on both sides at the same time please explain.

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: rex123] #7739295
12/09/22 07:43 PM
12/09/22 07:43 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by rex123
I won't say there aren't hard workers in and out of unions but I will say this it is easier to get rid of a non union worker who is crappy you fire them but with a union it is a fight to unload a slob. But don't beat your chest and say I am a conservative and support the 2nd. when your dues go to support ALL the liberal polices of Biden and Nancy. Another words you can"t say you are a race horse and then lay eggs. If you can be on both sides at the same time please explain.

How much of your money debts donated to democrats? I promise it's more than you realize. Do you vet every business and product you by and check their political contributions. Of corse you don't that would be to much work and it just easier to point fingers and make claims you know little about.

I'm sure you supported Trump after the bump stock ban and made excuses for him also? If so your purely nothing more Than a hypocrite .

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7739296
12/09/22 07:44 PM
12/09/22 07:44 PM
ohio
Ohio Wolverine Offline
trapper
Ohio Wolverine  Offline
trapper

ohio
It all depends on the union , the people in it and the company.
If they work together it's fine .
Too many unions today are for the union and not the people paying the bills.
Never tell me unions don't back democrats , I know better , 4 different unions and they all backed democrats .
I'm just glad I got through life even though the unions were hard to deal with.
Unions in the begining were a good thing , but as anything , they became greedy , the more pay a worked got , the more dues were paid.
Think about it , 1,000's or workers in a plant paying for protection .
Even at $ 19 amonth at a minumin that's $19,000 for what?
Many companies that are non union give vested rights at 5 years , union shops 15 -20 years.
Depending on the product being produced , demand controls the wages and the union dues.
That's why you need over $100,000 income today.
I got tired of the strikes and unemployment .
Over one worker that didn't like his job.

We have met the enemy and the enemy is us!
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7739309
12/09/22 07:55 PM
12/09/22 07:55 PM
KY.usa
rex123 Offline
trapper
rex123  Offline
trapper

KY.usa
Not the same thing at all I DON'T KNOWINGLY CONTRIBUTE TO LIBERALS YOU SIR DO because YOU KNOW WHERE YOUR DUES GO To say I do what you do means I would have to write a check each week and mail it to the DEMOCRATS . So YOU SIR ARE THE HYPOCRITE for all your talk. By the way you didn't explain how YOU can be on both sides of the fence at the same time?

Last edited by rex123; 12/09/22 07:57 PM.
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: rex123] #7739314
12/09/22 07:58 PM
12/09/22 07:58 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Not the same thing at all I DON'T KNOWINGLY CONTRIBUTE TO LIBERALS YOU SIR DO because YOU KNOW WHERE YOUR DUES GO To say I do what you do means I would have to write a check each week and mail it to the DEMOCRATS . So YOU SIR ARE THE HYPOCRITE for all your talk. By the way you didn't explain how YOU can be on both sides of the fence at the same time?

When I see all those capitol letters,,does that mean your Yelling? LOL

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: rex123] #7739318
12/09/22 08:02 PM
12/09/22 08:02 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny

Yout tax dollars go to support non working welfare freebee collectors and ALL things paid for illegal aliens.Now go lay your egg. laugh

Last edited by upstateNY; 12/09/22 08:09 PM.

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7739320
12/09/22 08:03 PM
12/09/22 08:03 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
MattLA i aint buying it.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: ol' dad] #7739321
12/09/22 08:05 PM
12/09/22 08:05 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by ol' dad
The union I belong to got us all hams, choice of pumpkin, pecan or apple pie a hi viz toboggan and a engraved mag lite flashlight. Guess what the company got us. Yes you guessed it, nothing. I know it wasn’t a lot but it was at least a nice gesture by the union for all of us 700 members.

Ol dad

Nobody touched this one yet lol...

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7739332
12/09/22 08:13 PM
12/09/22 08:13 PM
MN
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

MN
Bernie Google David Abney.

He's the guy who started at the bottom rung of a union company and Rose to CEO of a company that has just a little bit more market cap than Winnebago.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: ol' dad] #7739334
12/09/22 08:15 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny

Ol dad

Out of their own union dues of course.Where does non union companies get the money to give their emoloyees goodies like turkeys and such? They can afford that stuff because they pay their employees less.So,pretty much the same thing. grin P:S: ole dad,,who is it that sais "money is what we trade our lives for" smile

Last edited by upstateNY; 12/09/22 08:19 PM.

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: Catch22] #7739335
Southern Ohio
O
Ohiowoodchuck Offline
trapper
Ohiowoodchuck  Offline
trapper
O

Southern Ohio
Originally Posted by Catch22
[quote=Ohiowoodchuck]The union I belong to got us all hams, choice of pumpkin, pecan or apple pie a hi viz toboggan and a engraved mag lite flashlight. Guess what the company got us. Yes you guessed it, nothing. I know it wasn’t a lot but it was at least a nice gesture by the union for all of us 700 members.

Ol dad

Nobody touched this one yet lol...[/quote]
It came from membership dues and was voted on at the monthly meeting. The union workforce makes the company millions of dollars a year. The ceo gets a salary of 750k a year plus a bonus equal to 100 to 150% of his salary every year. I can’t remember the last the company even gave the workforce a simple thank you for the job we do.

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.”
— Thomas Paine
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: rex123] #7739344
12/09/22 08:19 PM
12/09/22 08:19 PM
ohio
Ohio Wolverine Offline
trapper
Ohio Wolverine  Offline
trapper

ohio

You pay union dues !
Where does a percentage of it go?
Don't ever tell me that union members don't get fliers telling them to vote democrat !

We have met the enemy and the enemy is us!
Page 11 of 24 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 23 24
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread