No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
New AR build #7740116
12/10/22 04:46 PM
12/10/22 04:46 PM
MN
K
K9BeavCoon Offline OP
trapper
K9BeavCoon  Offline OP
trapper
K

MN
I’m halfway through building a .223 pistol that was gunna be my bedside gun. With the oncoming unconstitutional bs coming down the pipe I don’t think I want that to be another thing I gotta fight in court if it’s ever used for defense. So I got a receiver set sitting there, just staring at me. Needing me to finish it. Kinda lookin at a light weight 18” 223wylde competition build, or possibly a hunting rig of sorts. 204,6.5grendel, 6mm arc, 22nosler…. I handload so don’t mind wildcats but don’t wanna invest in something that’s dead in the water. What do you guys think?

Re: New AR build [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7740121
12/10/22 04:49 PM
12/10/22 04:49 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Looking hard at either a 6mm mongoose or 6x45 . Uses a .223/5.56 case and a 6mm bullet. Have heard noting but good about either and seems like it would be a cheap and versatile deal for a hand loader

Re: New AR build [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7740344
12/10/22 09:13 PM
12/10/22 09:13 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
it isn't pistols across the board it is braced pistols with certain features. that add up to too many "points"

their are 40 million of these , they are talking an SBR amnesty with no 200 dollar tax stamp , and it may well get put down in court given the Bruann decision.

what length were you thinking

presumably if your thinking bed side gun your thinking CQB close quarters gun probably with a mounted light and possibly red dot optic

not sure what you have for other ARs and what length they are or how their are set up perhaps you have something that is 16 inches filling this role currently.

if not you could build something like a pinned and welded 14.5 with a muzzle device that brings it right to 16 or a 16

or get the worksheet and figure out if your build will be an issue.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: New AR build [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7740354
12/10/22 09:28 PM
12/10/22 09:28 PM
MN
K
K9BeavCoon Offline OP
trapper
K9BeavCoon  Offline OP
trapper
K

MN
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
it isn't pistols across the board it is braced pistols with certain features. that add up to too many "points"

their are 40 million of these , they are talking an SBR amnesty with no 200 dollar tax stamp , and it may well get put down in court given the Bruann decision.

what length were you thinking

presumably if your thinking bed side gun your thinking CQB close quarters gun probably with a mounted light and possibly red dot optic

not sure what you have for other ARs and what length they are or how their are set up perhaps you have something that is 16 inches filling this role currently.

if not you could build something like a pinned and welded 14.5 with a muzzle device that brings it right to 16 or a 16

or get the worksheet and figure out if your build will be an issue.

Was building an 11.5” with a tailhook. Planned on a bcm rail and true north grip stop. Holosun 503 and suppress it.

Already got a 16” rig bedside and a heavy 20” varmint rig. I’d like to shoot a 3gun this summer and was thinking a lightweight 18” and lvpo. But I’m also kind of bored with 223 lol. So was weighing out those options too. But none really seem amazing.

Re: New AR build [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7740394
12/10/22 10:19 PM
12/10/22 10:19 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
I wish I could say the Pistols were all going to be OK but it is so up in the air and the ILL intent is so strong , they want to punish the law abiding American people any way they can and this is just one way.

all I can say is that I think it will be a very good idea to have a dated picture from before what ever they finally decide so that you can prove you had it build while it was legal. I think that will be cheap insurance

as I understand it they all but killed Form1 silencers because they require to show a completed suppressor photo to file the form 1 so they have you on an illegal build in order to complete the paperwork.

then when the ruling does come down separate your sub 16 inch uppers from the lower and move it to a property like your relatives house where no lowers are present.

I do just stick to 223/5.56 for 3gun and I have only been to a few , 223 may be boring but if you need to you can pick up ammo at the store and go to a match when your short on time to make it . it has been easier to find 223 than primers lately .
also people leave you a pile of brass to use in 223/5.56 to pick up and reload , if you can find primers.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: New AR build [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7740438
12/10/22 11:02 PM
12/10/22 11:02 PM
Arkansas
W
Wallace Offline
trapper
Wallace  Offline
trapper
W

Arkansas
I would recommend taking your 16" to the 3 gun match see how you do and look and compare everyone else's rigs and figure out what you do or don't need. Before you build a competition rig.

My defensive rifle for the house is a 14.5" with a pinned and welded a2 flash hider. I really don't like pistol length barrels. A cartridge like 5.56 needs some barrel length.

Re: New AR build [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7740467
12/10/22 11:38 PM
12/10/22 11:38 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
definitely take what you have to the match before you put big money down , you will learn about stuff you didn't even know existed and other competitors will show you there gun at the safety table , it is a great way to see equipment you might not have even known existed before.

spend money on your belt first is generally good advice, but take what you have as long as it is safe and see what you want to get the belt is a very important part of the game and not just what holds your pants up.

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 12/10/22 11:40 PM.

Re: New AR build [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7740497
12/11/22 12:47 AM
12/11/22 12:47 AM
MN
K
K9BeavCoon Offline OP
trapper
K9BeavCoon  Offline OP
trapper
K

MN
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
definitely take what you have to the match before you put big money down , you will learn about stuff you didn't even know existed and other competitors will show you there gun at the safety table , it is a great way to see equipment you might not have even known existed before.

spend money on your belt first is generally good advice, but take what you have as long as it is safe and see what you want to get the belt is a very important part of the game and not just what holds your pants up.

Got a blue alpha battle belt, esstac pouches, and gunna add a taccom shell caddy. I know it’s not competition gear but I’m gunna run it.

Re: New AR build [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7740511
12/11/22 01:21 AM
12/11/22 01:21 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
run it , that is how you find out what works and doesn't
they stop you at a max time , but learn everything you can from it.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread