Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
5+ years old deer liver ? #7742513
12/13/22 09:50 AM
12/13/22 09:50 AM
Communist State Of New York
Archeryguy Offline OP
trapper
Archeryguy  Offline OP
trapper

Communist State Of New York
Ran across a bottle of chunked deer liver in a corner of my basement that I had completely forgot about. It's at least 5 or possibly more years old. I cracked the lid and was surprised at how pleasant, almost sweet the odor is. Any suggestions on uses for this treasure I discovered? There are still chunks but it's mostly a dark liquid. I'm primarily a coyote trapper.

P.S. Also found a 5 plus year old bottle of Dunlaps Hellfire and Mirandas High Plains. Cracked those lids and now the wife is (can't say the word on trapperman) about the whole house smells of skunk. lol

Last edited by Archeryguy; 12/13/22 09:54 AM.
Re: 5+ years old deer liver ? [Re: Archeryguy] #7746410
12/17/22 09:56 PM
12/17/22 09:56 PM
Mesa,Washington.
M
Mark McCary Offline
trapper
Mark McCary  Offline
trapper
M

Mesa,Washington.
Sorry, I have never used aged liver. If you have dogs & cats put some on a stick and watch them. If they eat it and want more? You have a Bait ingredient. If they smell it and pee on it? you might have a Gland Lure ingredient? Of course it would be best to test on real coyotes. Let us know what you find out. We will keep it a secret?

Re: 5+ years old deer liver ? [Re: Archeryguy] #7746612
12/18/22 08:59 AM
12/18/22 08:59 AM
Georgia
sportsman94 Offline
trapper
sportsman94  Offline
trapper

Georgia
My dog eats everything I test on her. Even ingredients known not to be for food.

Archery guy, Tony F (I think) on here used to talk about aging deer liver as an ingredient that worked really well in his formulations. Sounds like you have some good stuff. I don’t know what direction to go with it, but I’m sure you can’t go wrong

Re: 5+ years old deer liver ? [Re: Archeryguy] #7852353
04/24/23 01:54 PM
04/24/23 01:54 PM
NY
papabear! Offline
trapper
papabear!  Offline
trapper

NY
Mr Archerguy, Take and pour off any watery juice that may be in the jar, then mash /mix the remaining chunks into a a paste. Take a pint jar and fill it half way with the aged liver. Now add and mix in some ground up dried or preserved beaver oil sacs to near full.....Add a few drops of true civet a couple drops at a time until you can barely smell. Let it age and odors meld together for a couple of months then check to see if you have the desired amount of civet. You now have a pint of very good coyote dope that is even better for bobcats.

Last edited by papabear!; 04/24/23 02:43 PM.

My hero's have always been trappers
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91