Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Questions from a newbie #7743693
12/14/22 05:27 PM
12/14/22 05:27 PM
Pennsylvania
N
NorthMtntrapper Offline OP
trapper
NorthMtntrapper  Offline OP
trapper
N

Pennsylvania
Hey everyone, wanted to start out and say thanks to all who have posted so many incredible tips, tutorials, pictures etc.
I have spent hours the last few weeks reading all kinds of threads and have gotten a pretty solid education.
Trapped a coyote and fox in cables last year and want to try my hand at some footholds. My father-in-law gave me a bunch of his old ones and they have some rust on them but not too much.
So two of what I am sure will be many more questions 😁

1. How do I identify what the traps are for and what sizes they are?
2. I know there are many opinions on trapping and dying (read for 2 hours on that the other day). For me to start I have decided to go with formula 1 dip. So much is new and I want traps in the ground without taking on much. Question is how I go from some rust on traps to a dip. Do I need to brush that off? Boil then brush then dip?

Thanks so much everyone!

Re: Questions from a newbie [Re: NorthMtntrapper] #7743698
12/14/22 05:33 PM
12/14/22 05:33 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Unless the pans have been changed or are unreadable, you can ID them by looking at the pan most of the time. Failing that, you can open the traps up and measure the jaw spread of the traps to determine size and what they will be suitable to be used for.

If there's flaking rust on the traps, wire brush it off then boiling, rinse off, dry and they'll be ready to dip

Re: Questions from a newbie [Re: NorthMtntrapper] #7743730
12/14/22 06:11 PM
12/14/22 06:11 PM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
Just bury a couple of those traps and see if they catch (if they're #2s or bigger, that is for yotes). You can do all that prep after season. My .02 anyway.

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: Questions from a newbie [Re: NorthMtntrapper] #7743758
12/14/22 06:41 PM
12/14/22 06:41 PM
Pennsylvania
N
NorthMtntrapper Offline OP
trapper
NorthMtntrapper  Offline OP
trapper
N

Pennsylvania
Looks like most are victor with a Bridger
1 1/2, 2, 3

Rust is not flaking

Re: Questions from a newbie [Re: NorthMtntrapper] #7743770
12/14/22 07:00 PM
12/14/22 07:00 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Originally Posted by Yukon John
Just bury a couple of those traps and see if they catch (if they're #2s or bigger, that is for yotes). You can do all that prep after season. My .02 anyway.

X2

Originally Posted by NorthMtntrapper
Looks like most are victor with a Bridger
1 1/2, 2, 3

Rust is not flaking

Look up your traps on a site like this... https://www.schmittent.com/product-category/oneida-victor-coilspring it lists the animals the traps are designed to catch.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91