No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Kill Squeak Trap Call [Re: beaverpeeler] #7753074
12/24/22 11:46 AM
12/24/22 11:46 AM
Wi and ND
H
Huntgod Offline
trapper
Huntgod  Offline
trapper
H

Wi and ND
[Linked Image]
Notice one of Gritguy's squeekers ( gimmick) in the tree above the cat.

Re: Kill Squeak Trap Call [Re: beaverpeeler] #7753138
12/24/22 01:03 PM
12/24/22 01:03 PM
sometimes PA sometimes ME
E
ebsurveyor Offline
trapper
ebsurveyor  Offline
trapper
E

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
I notice Minnesota has these for sale now. Anybody have any experience with them?

We ran five of them in Maine Lynx Exclusion Boxes for close to three weeks in November. Caught 40 some animals (Marten/Fishers) with about 80 sets. No animals were caught where we deployed squeakers & we set them on the better locations. All I know for sure is "never again".

Re: Kill Squeak Trap Call [Re: beaverpeeler] #7753146
12/24/22 01:09 PM
12/24/22 01:09 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Yeah, 3 bobcats in the same exact trap three nights in a row. Taped the squeaker to a pine limb about 5-10ft behind the set. I believe it peaked curiosity which lead them to finding the set. It was raining so I just used a Pipe Dream Set to keep them functional.

Re: Kill Squeak Trap Call [Re: ebsurveyor] #7753159
12/24/22 01:25 PM
12/24/22 01:25 PM
E
ebsurveyor Offline
trapper
ebsurveyor  Offline
trapper
E

Originally Posted by ebsurveyor
I notice Minnesota has these for sale now. Anybody have any experience with them?

We ran five of them in Maine Lynx Exclusion Boxes for close to three weeks in November. Caught 40 some animals (Marten/Fishers) with about 80 sets. No animals were caught where we deployed squeakers & we set them on the better locations. All I know for sure is "never again".

I can say this after about 100 trap night with the MN $11.67 squeakers. No catches after setting there almost three weeks on some of my better locations. All were dead when pulled & no animals were caught with them.
NEVER AGAIN. When running 100 sets the squeaker cost would be $1166.67 My comments apply to marten, fisher & weasel trapping.

Re: Kill Squeak Trap Call [Re: beaverpeeler] #7753645
12/24/22 09:33 PM
12/24/22 09:33 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
To be clear on brands, your use was not with my units !

[Linked Image]

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

Re: Kill Squeak Trap Call [Re: ebsurveyor] #7753656
12/24/22 09:46 PM
12/24/22 09:46 PM
Nebraska
silkyplainscoyot Offline
trapper
silkyplainscoyot  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
[/quote]

I can say this after about 100 trap night with the MN $11.67 squeakers. No catches after setting there almost three weeks on some of my better locations. All were dead when pulled & no animals were caught with them.
NEVER AGAIN. When running 100 sets the squeaker cost would be $1166.67 My comments apply to marten, fisher & weasel trapping.[/quote]

To be fair, they weren't advertised as attracting the animals you were pursuing.

Re: Kill Squeak Trap Call [Re: beaverpeeler] #7753712
12/24/22 10:52 PM
12/24/22 10:52 PM
E
ebsurveyor Offline
trapper
ebsurveyor  Offline
trapper
E

To be clear Mr. Beaverpeeler asked for information about the MN Kill Squeak Trap Call. I stated my experience with said product. I caught nothing when using said product. Nothing includes fox, coyotes & bobcats. With snow cover it was easy to see that no animals approached said product. . As stated I was setting for fisher & marten. Fox, coyote & lynx are common where my traps were set. For some reason unknown to me , after three weeks, the squealers were dead and no animals had approached them. Your results may be different then mine. Hope that clears it up for those of you with reading comprehension issues.

Re: Kill Squeak Trap Call [Re: beaverpeeler] #7753722
12/24/22 11:01 PM
12/24/22 11:01 PM
E
ebsurveyor Offline
trapper
ebsurveyor  Offline
trapper
E

All I need to get animals to the box is a good call lure on a good location. I have many dozens of photographs of fox, coyotes & lynx coming to boxes that had no squeaker.

[Linked Image]

Re: Kill Squeak Trap Call [Re: beaverpeeler] #7753729
12/24/22 11:06 PM
12/24/22 11:06 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
If no animals approached in 3 weeks it sounds like there weren’t any animals to approach. Don’t think these were designed as a “catch all” type deal. You have to set on sign, for me that means seeing one cross the road of find scat. There aren’t many places I trap that even have sand or dirt 2-tracks. It’s like using a lure, except it’s “sound.” Don’t think you could just set a trap and throw a squeaker down and expect to catch anything that walks by. I use it in conjunction with bait/lure/urine. It’s just a little something that might either draw their attention or get them caught.

Re: Kill Squeak Trap Call [Re: beaverpeeler] #7753785
12/25/22 12:05 AM
12/25/22 12:05 AM
Oregon
R
RockCrick Offline
trapper
RockCrick  Offline
trapper
R

Oregon
The squeakers Grit guy makes are pretty cool. I’ve put them in cubbies and have had coyotes and foxes stick their heads in. Mountain lions love them too. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Kill Squeak Trap Call [Re: Wanna Be] #7753797
12/25/22 12:21 AM
12/25/22 12:21 AM
E
ebsurveyor Offline
trapper
ebsurveyor  Offline
trapper
E

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
If no animals approached in 3 weeks it sounds like there weren’t any animals to approach. Don’t think these were designed as a “catch all” type deal. You have to set on sign, for me that means seeing one cross the road of find scat. There aren’t many places I trap that even have sand or dirt 2-tracks. It’s like using a lure, except it’s “sound.” Don’t think you could just set a trap and throw a squeaker down and expect to catch anything that walks by. I use it in conjunction with bait/lure/urine. It’s just a little something that might either draw their attention or get them caught.

Of course sets that had a squeaker, also had three different lures and a big hunk of meat bait. In the big woods where animals are not plentiful you need to set where they are going to go not where they have already been, unless you have two or three weeks to wait until they come back. Peeler asked for information concerning a particular squeaker. I did mention that only half of my sets caught animals. I was disappointed that the squeaker sets had no activity. I would think that at least one fox or coyote or lynx or fisher or marten or weasel would have at least approached a box that contained a squeaker. Also note that at lease 50% of my sets that did not catch animals had animals approach the set and not get caught. You guys are welcome to buy all of the squeaker you want. IMO, they are not needed if you have good attractors on good locations.

squeak all you want I will never buy a squeaker.

Last edited by ebsurveyor; 12/25/22 12:23 AM.
Re: Kill Squeak Trap Call [Re: RockCrick] #7753803
12/25/22 12:27 AM
12/25/22 12:27 AM
E
ebsurveyor Offline
trapper
ebsurveyor  Offline
trapper
E

Originally Posted by RockCrick
The squeakers Grit guy makes are pretty cool. I’ve put them in cubbies and have had coyotes and foxes stick their heads in. Mountain lions love them too. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We can all agree that animals will come to a squeaker. What we will never know is if the squeaker helped.

Re: Kill Squeak Trap Call [Re: beaverpeeler] #7753828
12/25/22 12:47 AM
12/25/22 12:47 AM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
I don't agree, quite to the contrary, I have testimonial vids and pictures from across the world, yes world, that predators and others will come into squeakers if the sound used is appropriate to the target, as well as not with sounds they have never heard
when used in an area that is or has been heavily called. Many without the use of scents or lures of any kind, from researchers trappers, and trail camera users who many don't even know how or where to attain any lures or scents.

Besides my own trials, and people who were instrumental in testing the units for a full season in different states and countries !

The major issue is that animals have to be able to hear the units, or in any unit made, and be in the range to hear them.

That's all end of story !

Why people can't get over using the animals ears, like they do the nose or eyes escapes me. Must be a mind game
that people can't get over, their ears are used just as much as the nose or eyes !

Some will continue to see this a mainly an advertisement, it is not meant that way, it is just simply education about using a different type of lure, SOUND !!

[Linked Image]

Re: Kill Squeak Trap Call [Re: GritGuy] #7753841
12/25/22 01:09 AM
12/25/22 01:09 AM
E
ebsurveyor Offline
trapper
ebsurveyor  Offline
trapper
E

Originally Posted by GritGuy
I don't agree, quite to the contrary, I have testimonial vids and pictures from across the world, yes world, that predators and others will come into squeakers if the sound used is appropriate to the target, as well as not with sounds they have never heard
when used in an area that is or has been heavily called. Many without the use of scents or lures of any kind, from researchers trappers, and trail camera users who many don't even know how or where to attain any lures or scents.

Besides my own trials, and people who were instrumental in testing the units for a full season in different states and countries !

The major issue is that animals have to be able to hear the units, or in any unit made, and be in the range to hear them.

That's all end of story !

Why people can't get over using the animals ears, like they do the nose or eyes escapes me. Must be a mind game
that people can't get over, their ears are used just as much as the nose or eyes

Some will continue to see this a mainly an advertisement, it is not meant that way, it is just simply education about using a different type of lure, SOUND !!

Asking for a friend, have you ever tested the MN Squeaker that was asked about. If you have how does the volume of your squeakers compare to the MN Squeaker?

Re: Kill Squeak Trap Call [Re: beaverpeeler] #7753860
12/25/22 02:06 AM
12/25/22 02:06 AM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
Personally I have not, however my units have adjustable volume, and can be turned down to a hardly heard mouse squeak if necessary. They are also able to be turned back up to a volume exceeding any other squeakers out there, to my knowledge.
This gives them exceedingly longer range than other units, and we all know that predators hear much better than we do.

I've been told it does not have hardly any volume though.

I as a practice do not buy other units to test, I let others do that and decide which they wish to use !

[Linked Image]

Re: Kill Squeak Trap Call [Re: beaverpeeler] #7754075
12/25/22 10:23 AM
12/25/22 10:23 AM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
I have several of GritGuy's older units. These have multiple sounds from loud squeaks to distressed bird. I like having option of setting them up at a good gang set location such as a 4-way looking road intersection or field edge or corner.

Ill sometime put one up about 5 to 7 days in...They will wake up a seemingly dead spot....

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Kill Squeak Trap Call [Re: beaverpeeler] #7754092
12/25/22 10:45 AM
12/25/22 10:45 AM
alberta
S
spjones Offline
trapper
spjones  Offline
trapper
S

alberta
I’ve also used gritguys successfully at coyote baits

The days are short here during prime coyote snaring season and the bird action only happens during the day

GG unit comes on at night and is loud

I’ve seen Boco call Marty’s torsion spring system a “gimmick”

Then praise Canadian snaring innovation a couple of threads later

Last edited by spjones; 12/25/22 10:48 AM.
Re: Kill Squeak Trap Call [Re: beaverpeeler] #7754228
12/25/22 12:55 PM
12/25/22 12:55 PM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Land Sets and Trapping Techniques
This 184-page book by Charles Dobbins describes the red/gray fox, coyote, raccoon and bobcat, and the land sets that will take these animals. Also discussed are the tools for making these sets, electronic squeakers, freeze-proofing and much more.

Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Andrew Lang (1844-1912) Scottish poet, novelist and literary critic

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .
Re: Kill Squeak Trap Call [Re: beaverpeeler] #7754251
12/25/22 01:24 PM
12/25/22 01:24 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I used kill springs on wolf snares since they first came out(amberg).Probably when Jones was still filling his diaper.
Not a gimmick like squeekers.

EB got it figured out.

Last edited by Boco; 12/25/22 01:27 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Kill Squeak Trap Call [Re: beaverpeeler] #7754312
12/25/22 02:27 PM
12/25/22 02:27 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Think I’ll make a set with nothing but a squeaker and see what happens this year. Squeakers work when you can only set on the South side of the road and have a predominantly N/NE wind. That squeak works them in where if they circle finding the sound they’ll smell the bait/lure/urine.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread