No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Is stretching necessary if you're not selling? [Re: Del Gue] #7769776
01/12/23 12:19 PM
01/12/23 12:19 PM
Ohio
Del Gue Offline OP
trapper
Del Gue  Offline OP
trapper

Ohio
I'm starting to think I might just salt a few to keep and sell the others whole this year, and use the off-season to plan better. I got excited and resent off half cooked when I really wasn't in the position to be getting into all of this.thanks for the answers and keep them coming because I'm committed now! I'll figure it out. I'm not interested in the money I just want to be outside participating in nature.

I are a mountain man, and I'll live 'til an arrow or a bullet finds me. And then I'll leave my bones on this great map of the magnificent…
Re: Is stretching necessary if you're not selling? [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7769853
01/12/23 01:55 PM
01/12/23 01:55 PM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Originally Posted by yukonjeff
Salting it will keep for years. Before its hard as a rock fold it so it fits a box and let it dry all the way and ship to a tannery. Thats what taxidermist do if they dont tan it themselves.

Borax wont do anything but soak up grease and speed up the drying process like sawdust. Its not a preservative. Taxidermists use it as an insecticide on birds mounts and that caused confusion within the fur trade.

Borax is anti-bacterial. Guess what bacteria will do to a pelt? It's also a powder. Works better than anything granular for the do-it- yourselfer.

Nope salt works better for the do it yourselfer, he probably already has some in the cupboard too. And ask any tannery how they prefer their hides prepped. None will say borax them. in fact it messes with their tanning PH.

Re: Is stretching necessary if you're not selling? [Re: yukonjeff] #7769868
01/12/23 02:11 PM
01/12/23 02:11 PM
Ohio
Del Gue Offline OP
trapper
Del Gue  Offline OP
trapper

Ohio
I was raised using salt on squirrel and deer hides with my pappaw, only ever used borax if bugs showed up.. . If it ain't broke don't fix it..

I are a mountain man, and I'll live 'til an arrow or a bullet finds me. And then I'll leave my bones on this great map of the magnificent…
Re: Is stretching necessary if you're not selling? [Re: Del Gue] #7769884
01/12/23 02:19 PM
01/12/23 02:19 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Do you plan on tanning these skins yourself or ship to tannery?
Drying,freezing,or salting raw skins is just a temporary measure to slow down deterioration of the skins until they can be tanned.
They need to be tanned to achieve longer term preservationt.There are different degrees of tanning geared to end use-for example at one end of the spectrum - as a wall hanging decoration or at the opposite end - as a hard use garment subjected to repeated wetting and drying.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Is stretching necessary if you're not selling? [Re: Del Gue] #7769899
01/12/23 02:28 PM
01/12/23 02:28 PM
SE Iowa USA
A
AKAjust Offline
trapper
AKAjust  Offline
trapper
A

SE Iowa USA
Don't know if snares are legal in Ohio or not but they ae good cheap alternative to traps when you don't have many traps. Probably about $1.50 each now a days. You can make your own lots cheaper.

Is your storage unit large enough to handle your fur?
just

Last edited by AKAjust; 01/12/23 02:30 PM.
Re: Is stretching necessary if you're not selling? [Re: Del Gue] #7769909
01/12/23 02:34 PM
01/12/23 02:34 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Salt draws moisture . Borax doesn't. If I was gonna do them myself....I'd use borax. If I was gonna send them to a tannery...I'd use neither...just air dry after fleshing and boarding

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Is stretching necessary if you're not selling? [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7769929
01/12/23 02:50 PM
01/12/23 02:50 PM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Salt draws moisture . Borax doesn't. If I was gonna do them myself....I'd use borax. If I was gonna send them to a tannery...I'd use neither...just air dry after fleshing and boarding

Salt draws out all the water and fluids so it dont rot, Borax is mostly soap mixed with a little borax. That really don't do anything except absorb liquid. It dont permeate the hide like salt does.
And if it has an antibacterial effect (it dont say it on the box) it would not permeate the hide anyway if it did.

Tannerys get alot of hides, and turnaround time can be years, Tanneries dont store pelts in their freezer while waiting to be tanned.Every taxidermist I know salts hides before sending to a tannery, or while waiting what could be years to be mounted.by themselves if they dont have freezer space.

A Boraxed hide will grease burn within a year at room tempeture with the oils still in the hide.

Re: Is stretching necessary if you're not selling? [Re: AKAjust] #7769950
01/12/23 03:14 PM
01/12/23 03:14 PM
Ohio
Del Gue Offline OP
trapper
Del Gue  Offline OP
trapper

Ohio
Originally Posted by AKAjust
Don't know if snares are legal in Ohio or not but they ae good cheap alternative to traps when you don't have many traps. Probably about $1.50 each now a days. You can make your own lots cheaper.

Is your storage unit large enough to handle your fur?
just

It's a 5' by 10' filled to the hilt with decoys... I'm just trying to make something work. And I'm interested in making snares I plan on it next season but there's a few neighborhood house cats I'm found of so I'm trying to stick to footholds where I can.

Re: Is stretching necessary if you're not selling? [Re: Del Gue] #7770167
01/12/23 06:57 PM
01/12/23 06:57 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
For now I'd just concentrate on trapping. Anything you catch can be put in a freezer and dealt with later. Good luck!

Re: Is stretching necessary if you're not selling? [Re: trapdog1] #7770369
01/12/23 11:06 PM
01/12/23 11:06 PM
Ohio
Del Gue Offline OP
trapper
Del Gue  Offline OP
trapper

Ohio
Originally Posted by trapdog1
For now I'd just concentrate on trapping. Anything you catch can be put in a freezer and dealt with later. Good luck!

Bold of you to assume I have room for anything in my tiny freezer or that Mt girlfriend wouldn't kill me in my sleep for doing that hahaha

Re: Is stretching necessary if you're not selling? [Re: trapdog1] #7770374
01/12/23 11:09 PM
01/12/23 11:09 PM
Ohio
Del Gue Offline OP
trapper
Del Gue  Offline OP
trapper

Ohio
Originally Posted by trapdog1

But I agree with you, I've found a way to do everything so far, thank you!

Re: Is stretching necessary if you're not selling? [Re: Del Gue] #7770412
01/12/23 11:58 PM
01/12/23 11:58 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
What ever you decide to use do not use just borax to try and save the pelt, it will not work contrary to what is always said here about using it.
It also sets the PH off on professional tanning and may cause you to actually lose the pelt all together, tanners do not sort out and tan separate batch's of boraxed fur LOL

Borax helps in preventing bacteria growth from rotting the pelt, it does not preserve it in any.

This comes up every year with some one saying it does just fine, it is a preventive only not a preservative like salt !!

[Linked Image]

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread