Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: How do you attach cable stakes to your trap? [Re: JBR] #7770672
01/13/23 10:30 AM
01/13/23 10:30 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
You’ll be happy and surprised how well they work. They are a time saver for the exact reasons you mentioned. Good luck.

Re: How do you attach cable stakes to your trap? [Re: Ryan Phoenix] #7770770
01/13/23 12:46 PM
01/13/23 12:46 PM
SC Iowa
btomlin Offline
trapper
btomlin  Offline
trapper

SC Iowa
Originally Posted by Ryan Phoenix
This is eye opening, I didn't realize so many people were using quick links, especially for coyote traps. I've been thinking about switching from 100% J-hooks to quick links for a while now. Mainly because I prep all my predator traps the exact same way but I've learned that I don't really know how I want to stake it until I'm standing over a potential set location, and sometimes the stake method I have on there isn't what I need in that moment.

Sometimes I want 12" of cable at the end of my chain, sometimes I want 18". A quick link would make it easier for me to just attach what I need at the time. Especially if it turned into a spot where a drag would be better than a stake.

Also, those cables are a real PITA when all the traps are thrown into a bin together ahead of time. I've tried to be more organized and wrap each individual trap but it never works out that way. Chain doesn't tangle near as bad as the cables do, plus I feel like it can hurt the integrity of the cable if it gets twisted or bent before setting. Might end up making the switch. I've used them on water traps but never on coyote traps or anything on land, really. Appreciate everybody chiming in.

J-hooks. I have a bag of new jhooks(don't reuse them) and a set ron marsh jhook pliers in my bag. I don't attach anchor until trap goes in ground as like you say....they tangle up terribly.

Re: How do you attach cable stakes to your trap? [Re: btomlin] #7771609
01/14/23 08:55 AM
01/14/23 08:55 AM
Idaho / Virginia
Ryan Phoenix Offline
trapper
Ryan Phoenix  Offline
trapper

Idaho / Virginia
That was always going to be my other option, just bring my J-hook tool with me (which I always have anyway) and just toss in a fresh J-hook and put whatever cable length I want on there in the moment and crimp it down. I still probably like that method better than a quick link, now that I’m thinking about it.

Last edited by Ryan Phoenix; 01/14/23 08:57 AM.

Idaho Trappers Association
Intermountain Fur Harvesters
Montana Trappers Association
Alaska Trappers Association
Virginia Trappers Association
NTA
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91