ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Rats #7773305
01/15/23 10:20 PM
01/15/23 10:20 PM
SE Minnesota
D
dustytinner Offline OP
trapper
dustytinner  Offline OP
trapper
D

SE Minnesota
Can you use a small bodygrip or round bodygrip to catch them? Will they go through it?

Life member Minnesota Trappers Association
FTA,Sportsmen's Alliance
Re: Rats [Re: dustytinner] #7773491
01/16/23 07:59 AM
01/16/23 07:59 AM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
Dusty, I've caught some in the little RBG traps. Perfect size for those corn cribs, silos, old buildings ....small dirt holes tunneling down.

Re: Rats [Re: dustytinner] #7773617
01/16/23 10:56 AM
01/16/23 10:56 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
You can catch rats with several traps until they get smart. Then you can throw the kitchen sink at them and they will avoid it all. A forced trapping situation on a den(s) or frequent trail makes things easier. When they run free in a large multi floored home they can move freely and chew into wherever they feel they want to go for access.

I just finished a rat job in the last month after a single male rat that avoided every device and situation I could think up. Snares, snap traps, footholds buried in large planter boxes, RBG small conibears, glue boards etc. Needless to say it was the most challenging rat problem I have encountered in my lifetime.

I had to resort to using tracking powder to kill it. I had trail cams all through this house and could see how this thing was super wary and cautious of everything new. Even snares he refused to go thru. The client had two large dogs in the house which made the situation more challenging.

Normally they come fairly easy but not this time.

The home owner had used snap traps and a havahart cage trap that the rat escaped from twice before calling for help. Sometimes that is all it takes to get a smart one to challenge your skill.

That rat did significant chewing damage before it came to an end.

Re: Rats [Re: dustytinner] #7774689
01/17/23 02:06 PM
01/17/23 02:06 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
I'm going thru the same thing right now, little $%^*9 scutters moved into the house last fall, and before I noticed it I had a full scale infestation! I'm using glue boards, rat traps, AND poison pellets, I've had great success with The "Tomcat" brand green blocks, but there's none to be had around here. I just caught what I hope is the last adult on a glue board that had a juvenile stuck on it, and I left it there overnight because they seem to draw others to them. If you hear a trap snap and immediately clear and reset, I would catch another almost right away. you catch one on a glue board and it draws another, The adult was eating the baby one, and got stuck too. I've caught at least 15 so far, and really getting whizzed about the remainders!! They are extremely destructive.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Rats [Re: dustytinner] #7775433
01/18/23 10:13 AM
01/18/23 10:13 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
Our guys have had great success with rats using our small swing panel live traps, 3x5 and 5x5. Just hid them in the straw or on runways. One trapper mounted one vertically on a wall after the rats started avoiding the T-rex. He caught 8 more, which I believe was all of them. The vertical trap seemed not to intimidate them.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread