No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Lucky shots [Re: danny clifton] #7776405
01/19/23 12:25 PM
01/19/23 12:25 PM
Washington
wildflights Offline
trapper
wildflights  Offline
trapper

Washington
I was 11 or 12 years old in a field with a Red Ryder BB gun when a goose passed by L to R. Pulled up and swung through like that spring powered BB gun was a shotgun...caught that goose in the eye. Rolled him.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. -Gustav Mahler
Re: Lucky shots [Re: danny clifton] #7776520
01/19/23 02:33 PM
01/19/23 02:33 PM
Georgia
P
Philip Stancel Offline
trapper
Philip Stancel  Offline
trapper
P

Georgia
Every dove I have ever killed.

Re: Lucky shots [Re: danny clifton] #7776564
01/19/23 03:31 PM
01/19/23 03:31 PM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
Not sure of the year some time mid to late 1970s. Was duck hunting with group buddies. Decided I was going to move across the little channel in front of me stand on other side for while. So I'm wading across the channel gun in one hand leaning back on my shoulder. Was carrying something in other hand don't recall what. I'm out in the channel water up to about my belly button. One guys yells got birds coming at you. I was looking at where I was going not up.
Anyways I threw the old 12ga Mossberg 500 up straight arm one hand out like was holding pistol. Cap ofg a round and folded up one of two teal coming right at me. Bird fell so close only had to take couple steps forward to pick it up. Lucky shot and lucky didn't fall over in water. Which I have done several times shooting goof in years since. I've shot ducks in lot weird positions but that was only one hander.

One morning was hunting geese on edge of field. Was always duck at first light before geese moved. So I had two 31/2 in loads of 4# shot stuffed in my double barreled 10ga
Flock of about 20 teal came buzzing in. I swung up on a birds and shot. 3 birds fell out dead two other crashed little farther over. My dog got all 5 picked up and back to me. One and only ever 5 birds on wing.

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: Lucky shots [Re: danny clifton] #7776579
01/19/23 03:43 PM
01/19/23 03:43 PM
SC Iowa
btomlin Offline
trapper
btomlin  Offline
trapper

SC Iowa
I shot 5 quail on a covey rise once...all individual. Got lucky on the last 2 as they were getting out there by round 4 & 5. smile One of my HS teachers was with me and didn't believe until my dog retrieved 'em all. Boy, did we have a lot of quail back then...

Re: Lucky shots [Re: danny clifton] #7776654
01/19/23 05:51 PM
01/19/23 05:51 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
As teenagers we had a steel plate set up about 100 yards. Someone had punched a few 12 gauge slugs through it. One of my buddies stuck a live 12 gauge shell through one of the slug holes and dared a group of us to hit it with my our .22 rifles.

Several guys took offhand several shots a missed. My turn came, I shouldered the rifle (iron sights), held over a bit and let fly. The shell popped. There's not much of a report when they aren't contained in a chamber, but everyone knew I'd hit it.

Best thing you can do after a feat like that is DO NOT TRY TO REPEAT IT. LOL

They tried to get me to attempt it again but I refused and just basked in the glory instead. grin

I still have the brass with the .22 bullet sticking in it somewhere.

Eh...wot?

Re: Lucky shots [Re: danny clifton] #7776721
01/19/23 07:23 PM
01/19/23 07:23 PM
West GA
T
T-REV Offline
trapper
T-REV  Offline
trapper
T

West GA
I watched my ol man shoot a doe near 500 yards down a power line with an ol Rem 7400 .270. Once. I remember me, dad, dad’s friend and a couple other guys were hunting a piece of property that backed up to a power line. All morning we hadn’t seen anything except when we met up and dad pointed down the power line near 500 yards out we saw about 4 does looking towards us. Dad said Im shooting one of em. His buddy laughed and said they ain’t even gonna know you are shooting at them. Dad climbed up a power pole in the stand and braced up. His buddy was looking through his scope underneath. Dad shot and I saw a white tail flipping. His buddy said dang I think you hit it! Dad said I know I did. His buddy went after it but it had ran off and died in a briar filled deep swamp. He couldn’t drag it out. Dad admitted it was pure luck. Said he aimed about 4ft high.

Re: Lucky shots [Re: danny clifton] #7776734
01/19/23 07:35 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
When my son was about 12 years old, I saw him kill two dove with one shot. The birds were crossing from opposite directions. No flying together.

Re: Lucky shots [Re: danny clifton] #7776735
West GA
T
T-REV Offline
trapper
T-REV  Offline
trapper
T

West GA
Me and a friend were beaver hunting a big swamp once. About an 85 acre flooded timber used for duck hunting. There were atleast 3 visible beaver lodges there. We had to paddle out to an island in the middle of the swamp and wait for a chance to pop one. I watched a beaver swimming around zigzagging further away. He finally climbed out on a mud bank 200 + yards out. I had to lay prone on the ground with my rifle sitting on a grass clump. Took me a bit to find him. He looked like a little hairy basketball. I put my crosshairs dead center and shot. He rolled over in the water and went to flopping. We paddle out and got him before he sank. I was tickling with that shot but in all reality my 25-06 was dailed in at 200 yards so it wasn’t an amazing feat of marksmanship.

Last edited by T-REV; 01/19/23 08:38 PM.
Re: Lucky shots [Re: danny clifton] #7776745
01/19/23 07:41 PM
01/19/23 07:41 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
When my son was about 12 years old, I saw him kill two dove with one shot. The birds were crossing from opposite directions. No flying together.

About thirty years ago I was on a hound hunt for deer. I was one running through some young pines. I stopped and I dropped him with a round of buckshot. When I went to retrieve it, I had killed two deer. Never saw the second deer.

Re: Lucky shots [Re: danny clifton] #7776853
01/19/23 09:38 PM
01/19/23 09:38 PM
South Dakota
H
Hydropillar Offline
trapper
Hydropillar  Offline
trapper
H

South Dakota
right at half mile.... shortly after getting married so was maybe 81 82 was deer hunting and we got dumped on in snow cpl feet no one was getting around.... i had a 2wd f150 with a slant 6 5010 jd wheel weight in back and chains on good tires i was getting around lot better than 4wd,,,,anyway i pushed snow with bumper out in the middle of 1 quarter section and the deer were in the middle of the next... i was shooting 300 w mag w hot reloads 180 g open sights i shot low first shot raised up a foot and shot half way to them raised up another foot and dumped him just a average 4x4 he was laying there thrashing blood turning snow red and a much bigger buck came running up pawing and snorting.... i shot almost a box of shells at till i couldnt shoot no more felt like someone was sticking a knife in my brain that shot was trying to fill my wifes tag too

The only place you find free cheese is in a mousetrap !
Re: Lucky shots [Re: danny clifton] #7777077
01/20/23 03:43 AM
01/20/23 03:43 AM
WI
B
BvrRetriever Offline
trapper
BvrRetriever  Offline
trapper
B

WI
One time I took a shot with a tall skinny blond and I woke up with her….idk if you’d call that lucky but I was good with it!

Re: Lucky shots [Re: danny clifton] #7777113
01/20/23 07:19 AM
01/20/23 07:19 AM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline
trapper
Eagleye  Offline
trapper
E

Wisconsin
For my 10th birthday, I received a quiver, three arrows, arm guard and archery targets as one of my presents, my dad bought a new string for his Ben Pearson wood bow and wanted to hand it down - he said he would pick-up some straw bales after work and not to shoot the bow until then. That being said- 1st shot was a gray squirrel behind the shoulder that lodged in an oak tree about 20' up... bullseye!! 2nd shot and bullseye, was after I taped the target to my mother's umbrella clothesline pole - kinked it and crumbled the whole thing. 3rd arrow was shot straight up in the air- never saw it again. Who ever said it's easier to get forgiveness than permission... never met my dad lol.- he was actually only upset that I lied to my mom about her flimsy clothesline pole- it didn't take a lot of forensics to see the extruded field tip at the kink point. That bow proudly hangs on my cabin wall today.

Re: Lucky shots [Re: danny clifton] #7777127
01/20/23 07:40 AM
01/20/23 07:40 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

It's not with a gun but with one of my first 110 conibears. I was trying to kill these fox squirrels that were gnawing on our picnic table on our patio and just as I was setting the trap.... along comes Mr. squirrel. Well he stops. I stop as I have the trap set but I'm kneeling and he's staring me down 4 foot away as he was making his way towards the table.

And Mr. squirrel bolts! And in that moment... I toss the conibear in the direction he was heading at a gallop.
AND in that moment, the trap hits the ground like I'm setting a tunnel set, and the squirrel runs right into it and I catch him front and back sections.
BANG! Got him!

Couldn't toss a set 100 coni 4 foot and catch a racing squirrel again if I did it a million times.
It was the beginnings of my ADC career, best I figure it.

Re: Lucky shots [Re: ] #7777140
01/20/23 07:59 AM
01/20/23 07:59 AM
West Virginia
D
DugK Offline
trapper
DugK  Offline
trapper
D

West Virginia
I took a coworkers son dove hunting on year. He was just going through shells. I was explaining how to lead and follow through on the shot and to let the birds get closer. So here comes a lone bird. I told him to watch how I swing and follow through. The dove is coming straight at me, I shot, hit the bird and I stood there and with shotgun in one hand and caught the bird with my other like I was catching a routine flyball. 10 years later he still mention that was the coolest thing he ever saw and goes dove hunting every chance he gets to try and catch one.
As a kid, my buddy and I would try and hit flying clay birds with our 22s. It took 20 pounds of shells before we got it all figured out. It came down to getting the right angle and setting the clay on the duplex in the scope and firing. I could usually get it on the third shot out of my 10/22.
Turkey hunting with my dad, we where heading back to the house when a Tom took off running, My dad shot and the turkey tumbled. He had loaded the gun accidently with a slug and took the head clean off the running turkey.

Re: Lucky shots [Re: danny clifton] #7777341
01/20/23 12:15 PM
01/20/23 12:15 PM
michigan,USA
S
seniortrap Offline
trapper
seniortrap  Offline
trapper
S

michigan,USA
A number of years ago, out with my old Winchester 22lr. I was in a deer hunting shack calling coyotes.

The wind was blowing some and it was cold. About a hundred yards down this lane I see a squirrel venturing out into the road.

I pull up and look through the scope. He looks like it has lice and not a lot of hair.

So jugging the distance and wind, so with the gun on a rest estimated the hold. Bang. Rolled him. Right through the mid section.

Vietnam--1967 46th. Const./Combat Engineers

"Chaotic action is preferable to orderly inaction."
"After the first shot, all plans go out the window!"
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread