Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Wild Hog Bait #7778327
01/21/23 12:17 PM
01/21/23 12:17 PM
Colorado
S
saudert Offline OP
trapper
saudert  Offline OP
trapper
S

Colorado
Hello all,
I'm new to trapping and have had success with commercial baits. However I am interested in making my own bait for next year, which will be almost exclusively for coyote and bobcat.
Has anyone used wild/feral hog meat? While I've read other forum posts that say just about any red meat will work, I was wondering about feral pigs which do not occur where I trap (hunting hogs in Texas, trapping in the mountains of CO). I was thinking of using the meat, liver, and heart.
Thanks for any thoughts or insights you may have!

Re: Wild Hog Bait [Re: saudert] #7778349
01/21/23 12:36 PM
01/21/23 12:36 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
As a whole pig is low on the attraction list. Could I catch some coyotes on it yes, so by definition it will work. Think it might have been Asa that said coyotes really like pork liver. I've tested it and it was very poor but maybe it's the way we feed pigs in our production system today. The brains will make very good base. My go to bases are deer, horse brains or rats/mice. A stone worked for the cavemen as a hammer but it's not my preferred way. Fish is probably underrated as a base for k9s. Alot of things will work to some degree but I want at least good and shoot for great.

Re: Wild Hog Bait [Re: Yes sir] #7779091
01/22/23 01:42 AM
01/22/23 01:42 AM
Mesa,Washington.
M
Mark McCary Online content
trapper
Mark McCary  Online Content
trapper
M

Mesa,Washington.
NELSON BAIT FORMULA
Bait:
Any red flesh will do but the best is beaver, horse, woodchuck, skunk, housecat or bobcat. Cut into desired sized pieces, or grind. Place in gallon jar, 2/3 full. Place lid on loosely, just enough to keep flies out. Place in warm but shaded area until bait swells and juice forms on it and it has a frothy look to it. Just a good taint, not rotten. Stir in solution with a long fork. Mix well and when finished, the solution should cover the settled bait mass by about an inch. Bury a foot or so deep in earth trenches, lids on firm but not tight as jars may explode. Age in trench for at least one month.

Solution:

In a gallon jar, place 2 pints sun rendered fish oil (catfish or trout is best), 1 pint of glycerine and 20 heaping tablespoons of sodium benzoate. Add 1 ounce of valerian, 1 ½ ounces of tincture of aseofetida, then 8 tablespoons of ground beaver castor, 20 drops of pure skunk essence, and 1 pint of pure red fox urine. Fill jug the rest of the way with pure rainwater, shake well and age at least one week prior to adding to bait formula. It helps to add 4 ounces of ground muskrat or mink glands.
NELSON BAIT FORMULA
Bait:
Any red flesh will do but the best is beaver, horse, woodchuck, skunk, housecat or bobcat. Cut into desired sized pieces, or grind. Place in gallon jar, 2/3 full. Place lid on loosely, just enough to keep flies out. Place in warm but shaded area until bait swells and juice forms on it and it has a frothy look to it. Just a good taint, not rotten. Stir in solution with a long fork. Mix well and when finished, the solution should cover the settled bait mass by about an inch. Bury a foot or so deep in earth trenches, lids on firm but not tight as jars may explode. Age in trench for at least one month.

Saudert, this might help you get started making some bait?
Bobcat meat, fish and beaver have worked well for me. I would probably stay away from the pig meat also. Use your own judgment on this nelson solution! It seems pretty strong for 2/3rds Gal. of meat base, ie. 8 tablespoons beaver castor?

Re: Wild Hog Bait [Re: saudert] #7779161
01/22/23 07:23 AM
01/22/23 07:23 AM
Southeast Louisiana
S
Slipknot Offline
trapper
Slipknot  Offline
trapper
S

Southeast Louisiana
You can also buy a pint of the the Nelson's bait solution. I have heard alot of good things about it.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91