No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Nebraska pheasant restoration act #7778395
01/21/23 01:30 PM
01/21/23 01:30 PM
Nebraska
Mocular Offline OP
trapper
Mocular  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
I see that there is a bounty program in the introduced bills LB400 pheasant restoration act. Would like to see it pass but wouldn’t hold my breath.

https://www.nebraskalegislature.gov/bills/view_bill.php?DocumentID=50320

2023-24 Beaver I, Mink I
Re: Nebraska pheasant restoration act [Re: Mocular] #7778458
01/21/23 02:56 PM
01/21/23 02:56 PM
Nebraska
silkyplainscoyot Offline
trapper
silkyplainscoyot  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
It's a good start, but there's things about bounties that deflate their purpose. It brings out shady practices. I've heard of several stories of Nebraskans sending their tails to buddies in SD so they can collect money and split it. Turning in tails collected before bounty dates start. Then what good does it do when individuals in ranching communities collect a bounty when they don't have the habitat or rarely ever see a pheasant.

Look at SD they've had it the past few years and this year the pheasant population is lower than it has been. The problem is much bigger than predators. Farming practices, habitat, and weather.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for keeping predators in check. Just a professional, integrated plan implementation is needed, if their goal truly is to increase pheasant population. One thing I see they do have right, is only allowing the bounty to take place from March 1 - July 1. That's when nesting is taking place until the young are able to be on their own.

Re: Nebraska pheasant restoration act [Re: Mocular] #7778465
01/21/23 03:04 PM
01/21/23 03:04 PM
SE SD
D
DWC Offline
trapper
DWC  Offline
trapper
D

SE SD
Habitat habitat habitat. Paying the farmers kids to catch coon off the silage pile or picking up roadkill is a giant waste of money.

Re: Nebraska pheasant restoration act [Re: Mocular] #7778540
01/21/23 04:05 PM
01/21/23 04:05 PM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Habitat is always your first step.
all the prey animals somehow survived in North America before Europeans arrived to control the predators, heck they even thrived without any predator control.
Yet to listen to some predators left unchecked will wipe out prey animals.crazy crazy

Denial of reality.

Re: Nebraska pheasant restoration act [Re: Mocular] #7778660
01/21/23 06:31 PM
01/21/23 06:31 PM
Nebraska
Mocular Offline OP
trapper
Mocular  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
I would like to see buffer zones between fields and more CRP pivot corners. I am convinced pheasants are more susceptible to the chemicals used on crops especially when very young. Look at the profile of crops planted back in the 50s when the pheasant population was highest and you will see a much more diverse profile of crops than today. All that aside I think predator control will benefit those areas with established pheasant populations and $10 a critter will at least pay for some gas.

2023-24 Beaver I, Mink I
Re: Nebraska pheasant restoration act [Re: Mocular] #7778682
01/21/23 06:56 PM
01/21/23 06:56 PM
Sumner, Mo.
C
claycreech Offline
trapper
claycreech  Offline
trapper
C

Sumner, Mo.
Google neonicotinoid.
Lots of information about the chemical and bees, but it’s reduced all insect populations tremendously.
What do the poults of ground nesting birds have to have to survive? Insects.
It’s in darn near every corn and soybean plant.
Lots of research going on right now on it’s effects.
It’s been banned in Europe an parts of Canada.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread