No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Ideas for Anthony T. #7781067
01/24/23 11:44 AM
01/24/23 11:44 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline OP
trapper
run  Offline OP
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Do any of you have a certain kind of tree, shrub, or weed for Anthony T to do a YouTube video on? For example, I have no clue what a hackberry tree is. Feel free to chime in.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Ideas for Anthony T. [Re: run] #7781101
01/24/23 12:08 PM
01/24/23 12:08 PM
Flint Hills, KS
J
jht Offline
trapper
jht  Offline
trapper
J

Flint Hills, KS
I'm happy with whatever Anthony creates. Although, I'd love to see someone, anyone, sort out which hackberry trees are which. Common hackberry is easy enough, but the taxonomists who spend their lives studying Celtis species don't agree on where the species boundaries are and what names belong to what plants within the laevigata-reticulata complex. In my area, common hackberry is very abundant (and, incidentally, is an underrated wood that can be beautiful in cabinetry/paneling), but I've got two other Celtis entities that I am currently calling C. laevigata and C. pumila. Hoping I'm mostly correct. My laevigata might just be a weird occidentalis, and my pumila could be tenuifolia or reticulata depending on what key one uses. Maybe Anthony can get Alan Whittemore to come lay it out clearly for us.

Re: Ideas for Anthony T. [Re: run] #7781138
01/24/23 01:12 PM
01/24/23 01:12 PM
KY
A
AnthonyT Offline
trapper
AnthonyT  Offline
trapper
A

KY
Run - thanks for the thread! I am always looking for ideas so this is great! See below for what is coming with hackberry.

jht - I have been thinking of doing a hackberry video. The genus Celtis is kind of a mess right now as the genetic taxonomist have been grinding them up so who knows where it will all shake out. Stay tuned for a video on them, but it may take me a bit.

Re: Ideas for Anthony T. [Re: jht] #7781162
01/24/23 01:48 PM
01/24/23 01:48 PM
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline
trapper
w side rd 151  Offline
trapper
W

PA
I was a habitat chairman for a local Pheasants Forever chapter for25 years . Anthony has been doing a great job with his post concerning planting native species for food and cover for wildlife . In almost every situation that has a diminishing population a lack of nesting cover ,a lack of winter cover a lack of brood cover and/or lack of food is a major part of the decline Often it is a combination of several of these .Many people want to help but do not know how they can . Anthony has covered many aspects of what & how to make a difference The easiest thing to do is not mow every square inch of your property like is is supposed to be a golf course .Allow some things to grow or plant some things that help feed and provide cover for wildlife .If you have some non productive or poor productive ground that is being farmed consider putting it into a CRP , CREP , OR SOME PROGRAM that pays the landowner to not farm it .I come from a farming background so I know how much some people do not want to do that ..But with rising seed ,fuel ,and spraying cost it does not make sense to try to make a profit on poor producing ground .Also trapping at least some ground nesting predators helps the local small animal and bird populations . What we all can do to help is keep educating ourselves about what to do and then plant some things that help critters live out their life cycle .One thig we did as a PF chapter was to get people to plant warm season grass plots Once established they where good year around cover And if managed correctly you can make a hay crop of them and still have a great wildlife cover /habitat area Go back and look at what Anthony has posted to this point and look at those threads with an eye towards how you can put some of his ideas into practice Even if you can only do one or two it will be an improvement And yes Anthony has used his talents to educate others We all can in some way do the same .

Re: Ideas for Anthony T. [Re: AnthonyT] #7781210
01/24/23 03:23 PM
01/24/23 03:23 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by AnthonyT
Run - thanks for the thread! I am always looking for ideas so this is great! See below for what is coming with hackberry.

jht - I have been thinking of doing a hackberry video. The genus Celtis is kind of a mess right now as the genetic taxonomist have been grinding them up so who knows where it will all shake out. Stay tuned for a video on them, but it may take me a bit.

I had a huge hackberry , shaded my entire house , a large limb came down in fall 2021 and I had the rest cut down in spring 2022

normally I cut all my own but as it was over 1/2 my house , I hired a bucket truck to get it on the ground for me

a very white wood

let me know if you need some picks of the wood , the stump is still 12 feet in the air I am working on splitting all the stuff I bucked up this spring and summer
then I will drop the stump it is about 34-36 inches in diameter

have you ever done a video on cedar rust / Juniper Apple rust / Cedar apple rust ?
it depends on the year if it is wet I get it in my 2 eastern red cedar both females as they both bear berries

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Ideas for Anthony T. [Re: run] #7781223
01/24/23 03:38 PM
01/24/23 03:38 PM
W NY
Turtledale Online content
trapper
Turtledale  Online Content
trapper

W NY
Yes, invasive aquatic weeds. And native aquatic weeds.
I would also like to hear Anthony's take on getting rid of invasive like japanese knot weed etc....

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: Ideas for Anthony T. [Re: run] #7781903
01/25/23 10:01 AM
01/25/23 10:01 AM
KY
A
AnthonyT Offline
trapper
AnthonyT  Offline
trapper
A

KY
w side rd 151 - 100% on the everything is over mowed. Recreational mowing has been the downfall of many small game species and a ton of non-game critters as well.

GREENCOUNTYPETE - how did that hackberry split? What little I have put through the splitter gave it all it could handle.

Turtledale - aquatics get a little outside of my area of expertise, but I will likely be doing some videos on wetland emergent plants.

Re: Ideas for Anthony T. [Re: AnthonyT] #7781937
01/25/23 10:23 AM
01/25/23 10:23 AM
Flint Hills, KS
J
jht Offline
trapper
jht  Offline
trapper
J

Flint Hills, KS
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

a very white wood

let me know if you need some picks of the wood , the stump is still 12 feet in the air I am working on splitting all the stuff I bucked up this spring and summer
then I will drop the stump it is about 34-36 inches in diameter

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The interior of the door above and the wall paneling are both hackberry. Clean wood may be a fairly boring white, but when it has character, it has character!
how did that hackberry split? What little I have put through the splitter gave it all it could handle.

I haven't had much that I couldn't split with a 12lb maul. Might have to break out the wedges for a tough one.

Re: Ideas for Anthony T. [Re: AnthonyT] #7781948
01/25/23 10:36 AM
01/25/23 10:36 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
w side rd 151 - 100% on the everything is over mowed. Recreational mowing has been the downfall of many small game species and a ton of non-game critters as well.

GREENCOUNTYPETE - how did that hackberry split? What little I have put through the splitter gave it all it could handle.

Turtledale - aquatics get a little outside of my area of expertise, but I will likely be doing some videos on wetland emergent plants.

fine , it is a little stringy

my 27 ton doesn't slow down for much

the little I did by hand was strait grain, stringy have to cut the strings some times

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Ideas for Anthony T. [Re: run] #7781950
01/25/23 10:38 AM
01/25/23 10:38 AM
east central WI
K
k snow Offline
trapper
k snow  Offline
trapper
K

east central WI
Hackberry is a pretty decent bow wood also. A friend in MI makes some absolute beauties out of it.

Re: Ideas for Anthony T. [Re: run] #7781951
01/25/23 10:39 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
I leave a lot of Edges to grow wild. I only own 23 acres but have lots of pheasants and now seeing turkeys h a ng around.
I shot my first deer off my own land last year. The buck had been eating on a wild Crab apple tree all fall.

I now have a couple hundred crab apple seeds in the freezer and some in the fridge which I plan on planting. I know apples don't grow fruit true to parent type but I don't care the new trees will be for wildlife use anyway.

I'd like to know other ways to propagate off that "deer magnet" crab tree.

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Ideas for Anthony T. [Re: run] #7781952
new york
M
mike mason Offline
trapper
mike mason  Offline
trapper
M

new york
Buck thorn and garlic mustard eradication are two topics of interest.

Last edited by mike mason; 01/25/23 12:16 PM. Reason: miss a word
Re: Ideas for Anthony T. [Re: AnthonyT] #7781979
01/25/23 11:11 AM
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline
trapper
w side rd 151  Offline
trapper
W

PA
Most people today see any type of brushy growth and think it is weeds . A good example of that is milkweed And another is golden rod .Milkweed is an important part of the monarch butterfly Their population is declining and at the same time many local county ag extension offices are declaring milkweed to be a noxious weed That means landowners are required to kill it on their properties Goldenrod may not have much food value but it is good cover for small birds and other small rodents etc .Also bees visit it when in bloom . And it may not look all that attractive during the winter months is sure looks better than a mowed to the ground scorched earth not enough cover to hide a field mouse or even a cricket .when I LOOK AT A FULL GROWN FIELD OF GRASS OR BETTER YET a field that is reverting back to brushy growth I see a haven for many types of animals that need some space to spent some part of their life cycle .And diversity of types of plants growing there is critical to healthy population .A prefect example of that is today many farm are single cropped as far as what is planted there .A100 acre farm is completely planted in corn Any waste grain left after the crop is harvested is a help to wildlife but for about 1/2 of the year there is no crop of any use to wildlife And if the famer chops and removes the stalks there again is no cover for animals to hide from predators or escape the cold .And as far as the mowing around brushy areas. If it must be mowed leave some areas unmowed each year to provide some place for wildlife to hide or mow early enough to allow some regrowth in late summer /early fall to again provide cover Sorry Anthony I did not intend to take over your thread Much of what you have been addressing is things most of us already knew But somehow it needs to be continued to be relearned over and over again .And with your informational videos you have generated renewed interest in a subject that many people are interested in .Also maybe I missed it but do you have anything on woodcock ? They are also declining because of a loss of habitat.

Last edited by w side rd 151; 01/25/23 11:17 AM.
Re: Ideas for Anthony T. [Re: run] #7781980
MD
D
DaveP Offline
trapper
DaveP  Offline
trapper
D

MD
YEET!

Re: Ideas for Anthony T. [Re: run] #7782052
01/25/23 01:38 PM
01/25/23 01:38 PM
KY
A
AnthonyT Offline
trapper
AnthonyT  Offline
trapper
A

KY
w side rd 151 - I don't think you are taking it over by any means. It is actually run's thread - he started it up.

Haven't done one on woodcock yet, but we get a few here on the farm. I have a couple drainages with closed canopy over them I plan to open up and turn into thickets specifically for woodcock cover and feeding areas.

DaveP - I try to throw those little surprises in there to keep it interesting!

Last edited by AnthonyT; 01/25/23 01:39 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread