Fur Handling Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

>
Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Fur Handling Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
issue during pickling process #7794693
02/09/23 07:38 PM
02/09/23 07:38 PM
Eagle Creek, Oregon
N
NWOutlawMX Offline OP
trapper
NWOutlawMX  Offline OP
trapper
N

Eagle Creek, Oregon
Had some problem raccoon digging up my new yard here in the city (Portland) so bought a live trap. Got 1 young female quick in Sept, but the second one took some time and was a very large male in November. Each one I brought out to my property in Eagle Creek (80 acres) dispatched and skinned them out. Thought I'd give tanning a try and couldn't get to them right away so I rolled them up fur side out and froze them within a hour of being skinned. Bought supplies to flesh and tan, watched lots of Videos. Thawed them out and fleshed and for the most part went well except for the gristle on the back around the shoulders. Rubbed them both first with Borax then Mix and Feed salt from Coastal, hung them skin side out on a stretcher for 24 hrs. Scraped the salt off and the last little bits of flesh, I missed, washed with Dawn soapy water, then put them in a pickle of 2lb salt and 6 tablespoons Citric acid per gallon of water, and a degreaser o bought from PCS outdoors for 24 hrs. Pulled them out of the pickle and tried to flesh the backs of the gristle (with no luck). When I put them on the beam I noticed on the areas that were the easiest to flesh a lot of hair roots and hairs pulling through the hide. I hadn't touch these areas after the initial fleshing and don't remember seeing this before the pickle. Thought my solution was off so bought a PH tester and its at 2.23 so within the limits I researched. Not sure what's happening, here's some pics. Thoughts??
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by NWOutlawMX; 02/09/23 07:41 PM.
Re: issue during pickling process [Re: NWOutlawMX] #7794697
02/09/23 07:46 PM
02/09/23 07:46 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Not prime-hairs still growing thru the hide in some places.
Looks like some shaving is in order around the neck and shoulders.
The November one should be better than the sept one.

Last edited by Boco; 02/09/23 07:48 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: issue during pickling process [Re: Boco] #7794723
02/09/23 08:22 PM
02/09/23 08:22 PM
Eagle Creek, Oregon
N
NWOutlawMX Offline OP
trapper
NWOutlawMX  Offline OP
trapper
N

Eagle Creek, Oregon
So both are not prime, I wondered. The first 2 are of the big male caught in Nov and the second 2 are the one caught in Sept. When I started trying to scrape the backs I stopped cause I thought I was going to ruin them. When you say shaving are you meaning that once I remove them from the pickle and neutralize them, let them dry then shave all remaining flesh with a wire wheel or I should scrape remaining flesh now while its still pickling and get the whole thing to look like the 4th picture. I would imagine since they're sub-prime the hair pulling out is just going to happen and don't worry too much.

Not too worried if they don't turn out perfect as it's my first time trying to tan and want to get the process down before I start setting my traps and collecting more pelts.

Trapped as a kid in MN mostly for Muskrat and Beaver, Got the itch back and got plenty of Coyote, Bobcat and Raccoon on my property.

Re: issue during pickling process [Re: NWOutlawMX] #7794784
02/09/23 09:27 PM
02/09/23 09:27 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I would just throw them back on the beam and shave them down with a sharp fleshing knife around the neck and shoulders,then throw them back in the pickle for a day or two-then proceed.
Your pickle should be between 1 and 2,you may want to adjust it a bit.
The hairs coming thru the skin shouldnt be a problem after tanning.Just brush out the loose hair,the rest will tighten up when the leather dries.They will pull out easy though before the leather dries.

Re: issue during pickling process [Re: Boco] #7795582
02/10/23 09:42 PM
02/10/23 09:42 PM
Eagle Creek, Oregon
N
NWOutlawMX Offline OP
trapper
NWOutlawMX  Offline OP
trapper
N

Eagle Creek, Oregon
Got the neck and shoulders done, mixed up some new pickle, this time I used 1 lb of salt and 1/2 OZ muriatic acid per gallon (got gallons of it sitting around so why buy Citric) and am at 1.5 PH. stir a couple times for next 2 days and start the next steps.

Re: issue during pickling process [Re: NWOutlawMX] #7887409
06/18/23 04:00 PM
06/18/23 04:00 PM
Indiana Linton-Greene County
Matt(rat killer) Offline
trapper
Matt(rat killer)  Offline
trapper

Indiana Linton-Greene County
How did they end up?

Re: issue during pickling process [Re: NWOutlawMX] #7907992
07/17/23 08:41 PM
07/17/23 08:41 PM
Machias, NY
N
Nefru Offline
trapper
Nefru  Offline
trapper
N

Machias, NY
I have a question. In photos #2 and#4, is that how the hide should look when properly scraped? Are there supposed to be "pock-marks" and a blue/darker colour?

Re: issue during pickling process [Re: NWOutlawMX] #7908070
07/17/23 10:35 PM
07/17/23 10:35 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
That is how early pelts look when scraped down.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread