No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Minnesota Trappers: legislative alert! [Re: goldy] #7796738
02/12/23 11:48 AM
02/12/23 11:48 AM
MN
C
ceelmo.trap Offline
trapper
ceelmo.trap  Offline
trapper
C

MN
This is about us as trappers losing the ability to use our traps and having restrictions placed on them to the point which makes it impossible for us to use those traps Putting rules in place to take away our methods of trapping on render more trapping illegal.Are not we not going to try and protect what we have thats in place. Stop the infighting they that propose these bills are out to get us.Wake up all you that trap hunt and fish.

Re: Minnesota Trappers: legislative alert! [Re: ceelmo.trap] #7796819
02/12/23 01:18 PM
02/12/23 01:18 PM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
Originally Posted by goldy
Originally Posted by 20scout
Last April I emailed the DNR in regards to the number of dogs caught in traps and this was their response:

"The DNR has been keeping records of canine trap incidents as reported to conservation officers since 2012. As of February 2021, there were 35 reported incidents of canine mortality (28 in body-grip traps, 7 in snares and none in footholds). Although we record each incident reported, it’s very likely that many incidents go unreported.

The DNR has worked with trapping and hunting groups to reduce canine trap incidents. The agency continues to support a science-based approach that increases trap selectivity while still allowing opportunities to continue to safely use body-grip traps.

Thanks for your question,

Jason Abraham

Minnesota DNR"

One has to wonder how many of these dogs where strays, or hunting dogs that should not have been on that property. Then there is also the question of LO's giving permission for someone to hunt their properties without the consideration that they have already given permission for someone else to trap/snare. I realize there are two sides to every story but it seems the trappers always come out on the short end of the stick.

Those 35 dogs were over many years. I dont remember the exact amount of years, but it came out to like 3 per year. I've seen the incident reports on many of them. The VAST majority were free roaming dogs trespassing on private property. Some weren't even from trappers, but people trying to catch skunks or coons under their own buildings.

As stated of 2012 is when they started to keep records.

Originally Posted by ceelmo.trap
This is about us as trappers losing the ability to use our traps and having restrictions placed on them to the point which makes it impossible for us to use those traps Putting rules in place to take away our methods of trapping on render more trapping illegal.Are not we not going to try and protect what we have thats in place. Stop the infighting they that propose these bills are out to get us.Wake up all you that trap hunt and fish.

Fighting amongst ourselves is not helping our cause. I've joined several sportsman's clubs the past few years in order to help educate my fellow sportsman but finding a lot of resistance. Trying to point out to them that if trapping becomes regulated to the point of it no longer existing then other things such as 2nd amendment, hunting, fishing and even farming will soon follow as the tree huggers learn what techniques work and what doesn't work to eliminate what they feel is wrong. You don't have to join but ask if you can talk with them and get others to contact their representatives also and teil them not to vote for these bills. One vote is like a grain of sand but with enough votes you have a beach.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Minnesota Trappers: legislative alert! [Re: goldy] #7796983
02/12/23 04:50 PM
02/12/23 04:50 PM
St. Cloud, MN
trapperkeck Offline
trapper
trapperkeck  Offline
trapper

St. Cloud, MN
Anybody else receive a survey from the DNR related to these two topics? I got one yesterday. The survey seems skewed to make trappers incriminate themselves, somehow. I haven't set a trap in two years and have only trapped a few nuisance rats/beaver in the prior 3 years I trapped in MN. I'm not answering the survey for fear of accidentally answering a question in the opposite way I intended. The survey was definitely written by a room full of liewyers.

"The voice of reason!"
Re: Minnesota Trappers: legislative alert! [Re: goldy] #7797102
02/12/23 07:01 PM
02/12/23 07:01 PM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
Got mine yesterday. Very tricky questions. Careful how you answer them but voice your opinion in the comments section.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Minnesota Trappers: legislative alert! [Re: goldy] #7797136
02/12/23 07:58 PM
02/12/23 07:58 PM
SE Minnesota
D
dustytinner Offline
trapper
dustytinner  Offline
trapper
D

SE Minnesota
The whole non-resident section
Is TOTALLY LOADED QUESTIONS!
Why wouldn't there be a question to allow non-resident trapping with no restrictions, but only offer questions with restrictions only!
As said above becareful how you answer. Or I will leave them blank.

Life member Minnesota Trappers Association
FTA,Sportsmen's Alliance
Re: Minnesota Trappers: legislative alert! [Re: goldy] #7797145
02/12/23 08:15 PM
02/12/23 08:15 PM
Minnesota
Born Offline
trapper
Born  Offline
trapper

Minnesota
I got a survey as well. This thing is 30 questions. Maybe we should all answer our questions the same smirk

Last edited by Born; 02/12/23 08:19 PM.

Help yourself.

Re: Minnesota Trappers: legislative alert! [Re: goldy] #7797965
02/13/23 09:54 PM
02/13/23 09:54 PM
minnesota
G
goldy Offline OP
trapper
goldy  Offline OP
trapper
G

minnesota
ttt

"They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" Ben Franklin talking about guns
Re: Minnesota Trappers: legislative alert! [Re: trapperkeck] #7798006
02/13/23 10:53 PM
02/13/23 10:53 PM
MN
M
MnJag Offline
trapper
MnJag  Offline
trapper
M

MN
Originally Posted by trapperkeck
Anybody else receive a survey from the DNR related to these two topics? I got one yesterday. The survey seems skewed to make trappers incriminate themselves, somehow. I haven't set a trap in two years and have only trapped a few nuisance rats/beaver in the prior 3 years I trapped in MN. I'm not answering the survey for fear of accidentally answering a question in the opposite way I intended. The survey was definitely written by a room full of liewyers.

Just filled mine out. I had a few drinks first so if I checked the wrong box I can say it was the booze; wink

Re: Minnesota Trappers: legislative alert! [Re: goldy] #7799677
02/16/23 12:51 AM
02/16/23 12:51 AM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
Also, there's going to be a Trappers Day at the Capital on Monday, March 6. Please come down if you can make it. Details are on the Facebook pages and MTA website. If you're going to go, please P.M. me. You need to make appointments with your Senator and House member for that day. I or someone else with experience can go with you to the meetings if you want. No need to be intimidated, they want to hear from you..

Guys, see if we can get more than the same crowd showing up for this. I know that it can be burdensome to attend, it's only 291 miles for me, I'd much rather go 100 miles north and see trapper les. It would be awesome if we could get a 100 or 2 trappers to show up. If anyone wants a ride let me know, I may have room

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Minnesota Trappers: legislative alert! [Re: goldy] #7800774
02/17/23 01:24 PM
02/17/23 01:24 PM
minnesota
G
goldy Offline OP
trapper
goldy  Offline OP
trapper
G

minnesota
We need as many emails as possible, as soon as possible, to Senators Hoffman, Abeler, Dibble, Hawj, and Lucero. Also to Representatives Hansen, Fischer, Becker-Finn, and Curran.

Contact chief author Hoffman, and co-authors Abeler and Dibble on SF1316 (the bill to end meaningful trapping) Go to https://www.senate.mn/ for senate email addresses. Click on 2023 senate information

Contact Senator Lucero on SF855

Contact Senator Hawj on both SF1316 and SF855. He's the chairman of the Senate environmental committee. He has the power to stop the bills in the senate. Urge him to not hear the bills.

Contact State Representative Hansen on bills HF1299 (House anti-trapping bill) and HF945 (trespass bill) He's the chairman of the environmental committee. He has the power to stop the bills in the House. urge him to not hear the bills in his committee. Go to https://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/ for the House of Reps emails. Click on member information

Contact chief author Representative Fischer on HF1299 and HF945

Contact Representatives Becker-Finn, and Curran on HF945

Always be polite. Never send rude or derogatory emails. If you need ideas on what to email, go to the MTA website, The Minnesota Trapper Facebook, or the MTA Facebook pages for "talking points" on those bills.

Last edited by goldy; 02/18/23 12:07 PM.

"They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" Ben Franklin talking about guns
Re: Minnesota Trappers: legislative alert! [Re: ceelmo.trap] #7803786
02/21/23 01:12 PM
02/21/23 01:12 PM
Hill City,Mn.
R
Rally Offline
trapper
Rally  Offline
trapper
R

Hill City,Mn.
Originally Posted by ceelmo.trap

Carl,
This is also a back door attempt to make Mn. A cable restraint state, and BMP compliant, and protect wolf monies. There are reasons the BMP never tested killing snares. Mn will be the first state that had real snares, and the BMP standards would replace them if this passes. My guess is the ink is already dry. Mt.,ND, Ar., and Ia. Won’t be far behind.

Keep your boots dry
Re: Minnesota Trappers: legislative alert! [Re: goldy] #7804773
02/22/23 06:02 PM
02/22/23 06:02 PM
Slaughter Slough, MN
Dead Coyote Offline
trapper
Dead Coyote  Offline
trapper

Slaughter Slough, MN

Live everyday like it is the last day of your life!
MJPPTA 1%
Re: Minnesota Trappers: legislative alert! [Re: goldy] #7807678
02/26/23 10:16 AM
02/26/23 10:16 AM
Austin Minnesota
Suchlike2 Offline
trapper
Suchlike2  Offline
trapper

Austin Minnesota
I would urge all of you who trap on private land to ask your farmers and landowners to reach out to their rep and senate member. The politicians need to understand this impact is more than just the trappers. I reached out to abou t30 o fthe landowners where i trap and several have sent emails in opposition to the proposal

Life is short, tomorrow is promised to none of us. Make the best of every day you have
Re: Minnesota Trappers: legislative alert! [Re: goldy] #7807929
02/26/23 05:34 PM
02/26/23 05:34 PM
Minnesota
Born Offline
trapper
Born  Offline
trapper

Minnesota
E mails sent.

Help yourself.

Re: Minnesota Trappers: legislative alert! [Re: goldy] #7808110
02/26/23 08:59 PM
02/26/23 08:59 PM
minnesota
G
goldy Offline OP
trapper
goldy  Offline OP
trapper
G

minnesota
After talking to a lot of Minnesota trappers recently, I'm alarmed at how many people haven't emailed their legislators. It is absolutely imperative that you and every family member does it if you want to continue using the tools we use and trap the places we can now.. If the bills go to a floor vote, your legislators need to know to oppose these bills. Don't rely on the others in the MTA to do all the work in defeating these bills! Its easy to do. There's links to the legislators in a post I did above. The bills in the senate are SF1316 and SF855. The bills in the House are HF1299 and HF945. Just tell them to oppose the bills. Include the bill numbers in the subject line. If you want to elaborate on why they're bad that's great. There's ideas on the MTA website and Facebook page..

Re: Minnesota Trappers: legislative alert! [Re: goldy] #7812065
03/03/23 04:08 PM
03/03/23 04:08 PM
Minnesota
G
Gerald Schmitt Offline
trapper
Gerald Schmitt  Offline
trapper
G

Minnesota
Goldy, thanks for all your hard work on this. I emailed everyone that you listed. Any Minnesota trappers reading this, please take the time to call or email. Like Goldy said, don't think someone else will do it, the more responses that they get from Minnesota trappers the more they will reconsider their positions on these bills. I am 57 years old, heavily involved in trapping my entire life, and these bills are by far the WORST I have ever seen in the last 40 years. If passed, these bills will end trapping as we know it, in Minnesota.

Last edited by Gerald Schmitt; 03/03/23 04:08 PM.
Re: Minnesota Trappers: legislative alert! [Re: goldy] #7813619
03/05/23 03:36 PM
03/05/23 03:36 PM
Frazee, MN
B
backroadsarcher Offline
trapper
backroadsarcher  Offline
trapper
B

Frazee, MN
Emails sent!!

Re: Minnesota Trappers: legislative alert! [Re: goldy] #7813952
03/05/23 11:53 PM
03/05/23 11:53 PM
SE Minnesota
D
dustytinner Offline
trapper
dustytinner  Offline
trapper
D

SE Minnesota
Thank you to everyone who can make it tomorrow!

Life member Minnesota Trappers Association
FTA,Sportsmen's Alliance
Re: Minnesota Trappers: legislative alert! [Re: goldy] #7814697
03/07/23 12:43 AM
03/07/23 12:43 AM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
Randy, let me say thank you for all the work and time you have spent on these issues. I don't think most realize
Heck of a turnout I thought. Thanks to those who took the time and made the sacrifice to make the trip.

Let shoot for a goal of doubling it

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Minnesota Trappers: legislative alert! [Re: Steven 49er] #7814870
03/07/23 10:20 AM
03/07/23 10:20 AM
minnesota
G
goldy Offline OP
trapper
goldy  Offline OP
trapper
G

minnesota
Originally Posted by Steven 49er
Randy, let me say thank you for all the work and time you have spent on these issues. I don't think most realize
Heck of a turnout I thought. Thanks to those who took the time and made the sacrifice to make the trip.

Let shoot for a goal of doubling it

And thank you Steve for all the help youve been. You even took a day off work and made the long trip down. Thank you also for going to some meetings and helping people out.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread