No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
One well I remember drilling #7798390
02/14/23 01:24 PM
02/14/23 01:24 PM
N.W. Iowa
T
Tactical.20 Offline OP
trapper
Tactical.20  Offline OP
trapper
T

N.W. Iowa
I worked for a well drilling company in NY, '85-'87.
He had a crew that worked in northern NY spring, summer and fall, both years there I volunteered to be on that crew of three.
First year I was a helper, they do most of the hard work while the driller runs the machine. You become really strong doing the helper job, or you quit! 45 people started working that year, only had 23 employees then, most quit the first week or two. It made baling hay look easy.
Second year I ran the machine we used up north the year before.
The well I referred to was for a big famous golf course on the nw side of lake placid.
I started drilling with the regular air hammer method, got down to 100-140 feet in overburden.
Then I probably went through a gravel bed with water in it, the hole collapsed down below, I lost circulation and rotation.
We normally drilled ten feet into bed rock then set steel pipe and look for water with a smaller air hammer.
I had to put our 150 lb wood blocks under the wheels, lower the rig down on the blocks with the derrick still in upright position.
Pretty scary due to possible tip over. Pull rig ahead one foot, set blocks under jacks again, jack machine up level, then drill a new hole next to the one with 10-15,000$ tools stuck in.
When you get down to where the first set of tools were then remove second set of rods and hammer, stabilizer.
When the hole collapses then you probably have to dig a pit mix up a clay slurry, and use a mud pump to pump drilling hole full of heavy clay to help hold you hole open.
This method we used a roller bit, because an air hammer won't work.
I pulled second set, set machine down, backed up, set up and luckily the first set came loose!
I think then I cleaned hole out with the roller bit and clay slurry.
I started putting 20' steel well pipe in, welded couplings together.
I went down in the pipe to clean it out and start drilling for water.
Part of the overburden, soil , rocks whatever before solid rock was heaving sand, probably about 40-50 feet of it.
It's pure sand with water running through it, basically quicksand.
I'm going down the pipe, the heaving sand came up the well pipe to the water level, when I shut my air and water off to add another 25' drilling rod the heaving sand came up and filled my 4' long 4" air hammer.
So I had to pull four or more drilling rods, to get the hammer back up, take it apart, clean all the sand out.
The piston inside this small hammer weighs 70 lbs, crazy how fast the hammer cycles this heavy thing.
Now I have to clear the well pipe with a roller bit and my air pressure.
I'm going down, sand and water are coming out, and I accidentally sent the bit into the sand too fast, I lost air circulation.
Being in a hurry, stressed out I remember my air gauge maxed out at 350 foot pounds, I think that's like 12x pounds per inch.
I removed the tools too fast maybe, I remember thinking 350 ft lbs! That's a lot of air pressure!
Next thing I knew there was an explosion of sand, it hit me so hard I was knocked over against the water truck four feet away! It hit the side of my head like a big boxing glove! Lucky no pebbles in it.
I had sand in my eyes, ears, mouth, lol 😆
I finished clearing the pipe, pulled the tools and put the air hammer on before dark that night. All these steps took me close to a week, at least 3-4 days of work!
The next morning we started drilling for water in bedrock, the machine Carries 300 ft of drilling rods on it, the other 200+ feet of rods we pull off the water truck.
I drilled 560 feet that day, my all time record on a single day!
We got water I think about 690 foot, I drilled to 710.
All the wells I drilled near lake placid I had trouble losing the hole, the last one was the worst, I lost and regained two sets of tools there!
Fun job huh? Lol

Last edited by Tactical.20; 02/14/23 01:28 PM.
Re: One well I remember drilling [Re: Tactical.20] #7798429
02/14/23 02:09 PM
02/14/23 02:09 PM
Worley, Idaho
M
Machias Offline
trapper
Machias  Offline
trapper
M

Worley, Idaho
I had a well drilled a year and a half ago. Most stressful 10 days of my life!! I had $27,000 in my home construction loan for the well, which was good down to 300 feet. I had an additional $10,000, $5000 deposit and $5000 in reserve. Well casing was up from $22 a foot to $36 a foot due to the supply chain issues. FINALLY hit water at 692. Finished drilling the well down to 720 feet. Which is the deepest well in a 10+ mile radius. When they hit 500 feet they hit sand and lost the 1 gallon a minute that we'd had since 400 feet. That's when I knew it was going to be 600+. There was a group of wells about a mile away, they all hit sand at 500 feet and the all had wells from 600 to 701. All total my well cost me $71,000. I had to add a water filtration system to the whole house as we have a very high iron content. Stressful and painful to the wallet!!

When things are Grim, become the Grim Reaper!
Fred Moyer
Re: One well I remember drilling [Re: Tactical.20] #7798473
02/14/23 02:58 PM
02/14/23 02:58 PM
N.W. Iowa
T
Tactical.20 Offline OP
trapper
Tactical.20  Offline OP
trapper
T

N.W. Iowa
I know, it really bothered me sometimes, sometimes up north, because drilling is so hard he charged 24$ a foot, used heaviest steel pipe.
Southern NY it was 7$ a foot plus pipe.
I know some wells cost them more than the land and cabin put together, it bothered me when they looked at me like you sob you cost me all the money I had.
A guy in Connecticut had three 600+ plus dry holes drilled in his front yard.
He hired Boyd, I went down behind his house in like a dry creek bed.
I got him a half gallon a minute in about 700 foot, i thought holy crap his water cost him a lot

Re: One well I remember drilling [Re: Tactical.20] #7798476
02/14/23 03:03 PM
02/14/23 03:03 PM
N.W. Iowa
T
Tactical.20 Offline OP
trapper
Tactical.20  Offline OP
trapper
T

N.W. Iowa
One well up north a retired NYC police officer had a cabin.
He bragged he was paying for the well with dirty money he took on the job.
6 hours north of NYC, I was glad to finish before the mob found him lol.
I was appalled he bragged about being a dirty cop

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread