ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Kid problems #7802179
02/19/23 10:13 AM
02/19/23 10:13 AM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline OP
trapper
BigBob  Offline OP
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Has anybody had trouble with neighbor kids messing with traps, and or been bitten by a catch?

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Kid problems [Re: BigBob] #7802216
02/19/23 11:02 AM
02/19/23 11:02 AM
Killingly, CT
Brian Mongeau Offline
trapper
Brian Mongeau  Offline
trapper

Killingly, CT
Bitten, not that I know of. I've had cages stolen (with and without animals), crushed, pulled apart to release an animal, and thrown into dumpsters.

I caught one guy driving off with two raccoon cages, couldn't catch him but got his license number and called police. They were returned and I picked them up at the PD. He told the cops they were thrown out, even though they were set and baited.

Had another cage with a raccoon in it get stolen. When I got on site, I saw the neighbor kid peaking out the window. I just stared at him until he was ballsy enough to come out and ask what my problem was. I said I knew he took the trap and I knew there was a raccoon in it, and that I was catching rabid animals. Told him to have his mother get him to the hospital for rabies shots since he was playing with a rabid raccoon. 3 days later my customer called and said the cage was found. It was 50 yards away in the woods, with a dead raccoon in it.

You will eventually run into all types of do-gooders, PETA , or just ignorant people that feel bad for a trapped animal. Make sure your contract covers missing/damaged traps (by people, not animals). And if you have evidence that animal was caught, digging around cage, bait gone, hair, etc. Charge for the trap and the animal, or just the catch if trap still there.

Last edited by Brian Mongeau; 02/19/23 11:07 AM.
Re: Kid problems [Re: BigBob] #7802456
02/19/23 06:35 PM
02/19/23 06:35 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
Not bitten to the best of my knowledge. We’re pretty careful to make sure traps don’t look like traps and are set out of direct sight. Since we don’t bait trap, our traps rarely sit in the open.

Re: Kid problems [Re: BigBob] #7804521
02/22/23 11:59 AM
02/22/23 11:59 AM
Adirondacks, N.Y.
T
trapdye Offline
trapper
trapdye  Offline
trapper
T

Adirondacks, N.Y.
Only one time have I had a problem, Trapping skunks for a resort, A teenage girl staying with her family, Didn't like the skunks being caught, She removed the traps at night & thru them in the lake. The traps were placed out of sight, I think see just watched where they were set.

John's Nuisance Wildlife Control
If you like what you do for a living, It's better than a vacation. Most days.
Re: Kid problems [Re: BigBob] #7804561
02/22/23 01:03 PM
02/22/23 01:03 PM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
As already mentioned...it is amazing how quickly a problem with kids/people messing with traps, when the trapper either threatens to leave the job and/or the client has to pay for replacement cost and fees for items and time lost.

Re: Kid problems [Re: BigBob] #7820523
03/14/23 03:43 PM
03/14/23 03:43 PM
Pennsylvania
K
Keystonekiller Offline
trapper
Keystonekiller  Offline
trapper
K

Pennsylvania
Pretty sure I had a guy steal a beaver out of my 330 can't prove it but 330 was thrown in the water set off an he had a wet beaver in the back of his truck said he caught it up the road he had stopped to check the spot out ..right along the road.. seen there was traps there an said he didn't want to set it up I pulled in behind him when he was getting in his truck was able to talk to him an that's what he told me sad part is wasn't even a big beaver I had already caught the 2 adults was a few kits left i was cleaning up for the municipality

Re: Kid problems [Re: BigBob] #7820562
03/14/23 04:31 PM
03/14/23 04:31 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline OP
trapper
BigBob  Offline OP
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
And he'll be back for sure!

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread