No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Facebook Marketplace Sellers [Re: lumberjack391] #7806947
02/25/23 12:07 PM
02/25/23 12:07 PM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
I been buying and selling online since e-bay was first a thing. Market Place for me seems just a bit less scammers than craigslist. I currently have an older boat, motor and trailer listed on marketplace. I had it out in front of the house with a sign on it last fall. I had a few people that just seen it stop and look. Only one person that contacted me on market place actually showed up to look at it. That was back in September.
So when weather looked like was going to make snow. I pushed the boat off the driveway into backyard where it is now.
Couple weeks ago out clear blue guy messages ask all about the boat. People must not even look at the listing because they ask everything I have in listing. Anyways the guy was coming to look pretty sure wanted it. Morning he was supposed to come don't show. So I message him he said was just getting going. Don't show. Message says has truck trouble can't come. I never heard from him again and I deleted him..
I didn't know the boat was still an active account. But I did go hit relist after dealing with that guy. Had another no show shortly after renewed add couple weeks ago.
Yesterday I got messaged by two different guys interested in the boat. Both ask the first two questions about things that are in the listing. It can be frustrating. So we'll see if either of these two shows up.
The worst is if I don't mute my phone and someone pings you at 2 in morning. I figured drunks shopping at bar close or second sifter on break at work.
Overall I have had pretty decent dealing with people in general. As a seller you have to be able to sort out the goofs. Buying anything that is true deal and not odd ball item. You got to get on it pretty quick.
You want to get some real dandies list some thing as give away. LoL people want you to drop it off at their place.

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: Facebook Marketplace Sellers [Re: Macthediver] #7806959
02/25/23 12:18 PM
02/25/23 12:18 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Online content
trapper
BernieB.  Online Content
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted by Macthediver
I been buying and selling online since e-bay was first a thing. Market Place for me seems just a bit less scammers than craigslist. I currently have an older boat, motor and trailer listed on marketplace. I had it out in front of the house with a sign on it last fall. I had a few people that just seen it stop and look. Only one person that contacted me on market place actually showed up to look at it. That was back in September.
So when weather looked like was going to make snow. I pushed the boat off the driveway into backyard where it is now.
Couple weeks ago out clear blue guy messages ask all about the boat. People must not even look at the listing because they ask everything I have in listing. Anyways the guy was coming to look pretty sure wanted it. Morning he was supposed to come don't show. So I message him he said was just getting going. Don't show. Message says has truck trouble can't come. I never heard from him again and I deleted him..
I didn't know the boat was still an active account. But I did go hit relist after dealing with that guy. Had another no show shortly after renewed add couple weeks ago.
Yesterday I got messaged by two different guys interested in the boat. Both ask the first two questions about things that are in the listing. It can be frustrating. So we'll see if either of these two shows up.
The worst is if I don't mute my phone and someone pings you at 2 in morning. I figured drunks shopping at bar close or second sifter on break at work.
Overall I have had pretty decent dealing with people in general. As a seller you have to be able to sort out the goofs. Buying anything that is true deal and not odd ball item. You got to get on it pretty quick.
You want to get some real dandies list some thing as give away. LoL people want you to drop it off at their place.

Mac

Definitely turn off notifications for Facebook messenger.

Re: Facebook Marketplace Sellers [Re: lumberjack391] #7806964
02/25/23 12:31 PM
02/25/23 12:31 PM
Ohio
S
stinkypete Offline
trapper
stinkypete  Offline
trapper
S

Ohio
Buying and selling wether in person, online, or in a retail setting you have all walks of life. Lots of good folks buying and selling. Just have to weed out the scammers and time wasters. If I have someone cancel on me on an item they want. I tell them that’s fine. Item is sold to another. I simply don’t waste my time with it.

Re: Facebook Marketplace Sellers [Re: lumberjack391] #7807013
02/25/23 01:24 PM
02/25/23 01:24 PM
PA
L
lumberjack391 Offline OP
trapper
lumberjack391  Offline OP
trapper
L

PA
Its kind of hard to weed them out when most of them are jerks, and its different people your dealing with most of the time. I had a guy coming one time he said gps shows 35 miles, I said OK. He then tells me 25 miles, I replied OK. It got down to where he said 5 miles and he never showed up, no show, no message, no nothing. I just dont get it- Im a man of my word, if I tell you Im going to do something, its a done deal or or Im dead- thats the only way it wouldnt happen. I hate when people just blow you off.

Re: Facebook Marketplace Sellers [Re: lumberjack391] #7807108
02/25/23 03:45 PM
02/25/23 03:45 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Online content
trapper
BernieB.  Online Content
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted by lumberjack391
Its kind of hard to weed them out when most of them are jerks, and its different people your dealing with most of the time. I had a guy coming one time he said gps shows 35 miles, I said OK. He then tells me 25 miles, I replied OK. It got down to where he said 5 miles and he never showed up, no show, no message, no nothing. I just dont get it- Im a man of my word, if I tell you Im going to do something, its a done deal or or Im dead- thats the only way it wouldnt happen. I hate when people just blow you off.

I have been to PA many times. All I am saying is that people there are basically east coast people. if you want to get away from them you need to move to the midwest. People are mostly good and we have jerks, but they are few and far between and they are almost all from the Twin cities. If you ask, they probably moved there from the east coast.

Re: Facebook Marketplace Sellers [Re: lumberjack391] #7807119
02/25/23 04:09 PM
02/25/23 04:09 PM
WI
B
Badger23 Offline
trapper
Badger23  Offline
trapper
B

WI
You can get some deals on there at times.

I don't have FB but my wife does. Our fridge in the garage died in December but I still kept pop and water in it all winter. Last Sunday I thought about looking and had her sign into FB on the home computer so I could check marketplace for any fridges. Dumb luck but here in our town was one listed for $100.00 by a lady who was moving after her husband passed away last fall. I sent her a message and she responded right away. In under 30 minutes we were at her house and I measured the fridge ( I have a narrow 2 car garage) to make sure it would work. It was running and she had the freezer full of her son's venison sausage and sticks and had a gallon of milk in the fridge so I know it worked fine. Gave her the $100.00 and my wife and I worked it out of her basement/garage and into my truck. I consider myself lucky as the nearest other ones I saw on there were 1 to 2 hours away.

Some also had problems like the fridge works but the freezer doesn't or needs a new seal around the door or it won't keep up when the weather is warm??? Awesome just what a person would need. It's good they were being honest but I'm not sure who'd want it.

Re: Facebook Marketplace Sellers [Re: BernieB.] #7807155
02/25/23 04:43 PM
02/25/23 04:43 PM
PA
L
lumberjack391 Offline OP
trapper
trapper
L

PA
Originally Posted by BernieB.

I have been to PA many times. All I am saying is that people there are basically east coast people. if you want to get away from them you need to move to the midwest. People are mostly good and we have jerks, but they are few and far between and they are almost all from the Twin cities. If you ask, they probably moved there from the east coast.

I didnt know it was a regional thing LOL.

Re: Facebook Marketplace Sellers [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7807456
02/25/23 11:14 PM
02/25/23 11:14 PM
Northeast Wisconsin
N
NE Wildlife Offline
trapper
NE Wildlife  Offline
trapper
N

Northeast Wisconsin
Originally Posted by JTfromWV
Originally Posted by NE Wildlife
Been trying to sell my wife’s Toyota 4Runner on Facebook market place and it’s been a pain in the
But… I put it on for 2000 dollars less than anything I can find online and all we get are scams and
People offering 5000 less then asking price.

Hey. All I have is a check for twice of what you are asking. If I send it to you can you mail me back the difference and I will have someone stop by and pick the 4runner up. Thanks. whistle

I have gotten something Along these lines a few time now. Today scammer wanted to send a buyer to pick
It up for there father in laws surprise birthday. All I had to do was get them my banking info so they could
Transfer the money into my account.

Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
Originally Posted by NE Wildlife
Been trying to sell my wife’s Toyota 4Runner on Facebook market place and it’s been a pain in the
But… I put it on for 2000 dollars less than anything I can find online and all we get are scams and
People offering 5000 less then asking price.

I could use a 4runner, link the fb add, I bet someone on here would want it.

The problem is sometimes if someone list something and it's cheap they get 100 messages in an hour and just get overwhelmed

I would but I’m not computer savvy lol it’s on Green Bay Area buy sell trade and Craigslist
Green Bay it will be the only 2016 4Runner that shows up.

Re: Facebook Marketplace Sellers [Re: lumberjack391] #7807747
02/26/23 12:16 PM
02/26/23 12:16 PM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
I just got another inquiry on the boat I have listed on MP. First question of course was "Is it still available? "
Which it is or I would take the listing down.
Next question was. " What's wrong with it?"
What kinda dumb question is that? There are couple photos and a description of the boat and motor.

My reply to the person before I deleted him was.

??? It is what it is I used it last fall.

Geeze!
It's a 1960 model boat 14ft with 1972 motor on and older trailer. Pretty much speaks for it's self if you view the photos. Why ask that question right out the gate.

People got love them, there are some dandies. Usually the first question is if the motor runs. Yes it does.

My brother recently sold a car on craigslist. Went right to the buyers credit union and did the deal so knew he would be getting paid. He also has one of the pens and black lights to check bills when sells smaller items. He deals with lots lookers and no shows too.

Mac

Last edited by Macthediver; 02/26/23 12:18 PM.

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: Facebook Marketplace Sellers [Re: lumberjack391] #7807836
02/26/23 02:38 PM
02/26/23 02:38 PM
PA
L
lumberjack391 Offline OP
trapper
trapper
L

PA
Or you get;

Price $400.00
Title (chainsaw)
Description (chainsaw) (red)
Picture (one freakin picture)

Re: Facebook Marketplace Sellers [Re: lumberjack391] #7807856
02/26/23 03:20 PM
02/26/23 03:20 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Found some stuff I been looking for at a decent price about 1 1/2 hrs away. I messaged the guy, gave him my phone number asked for an address and when I could look? He gives me the thumbs up sign. He eventually replied he gets in after 5. Ok what day- he never answers. I said how about Friday night- he said he wont be in til Saturday, gives me the thumbs up sign. Still never gave me an address or what time/day works for him.

I lost interest, he never called, thats how I did business years ago. If he gets back to me Im gonna send him the "thumbs up? sign. Most sellers are like Harpo Marx, they dont say a thing about the item,like if it works, only one picture, no model number? With the price of gas today, tell me a bit about the items before I set out to look.

I've had very similar poor responses from sellers on Facebook.

Here's a recent one.

Me, "Tom, I would like to buy the 2 axes and the 2 frog gigs.
(My phone number)
Keith"

Tom, "Ok"

Me, "When are you available and where do I go to purchase the axes and gigs? The total for the 4 is $8.00?"

Tom, (gave me his address.)

Me, "What is an okay time to come?

Is the total $8.00 for the 2 axes and 2 gigs?"

Tom, "2:00"

Being a 47 minute trip to that address, I didn't pursue the sale any further because of the odd replies and the desire not to waste a trip.

I had a woman respond to "When is a good time to purchase the axe?", "Anytime.", after previously giving me her address and ignoring my question on when to come.

Keith

Re: Facebook Marketplace Sellers [Re: stinkypete] #7807863
02/26/23 03:34 PM
02/26/23 03:34 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by stinkypete
Buying and selling wether in person, online, or in a retail setting you have all walks of life. Lots of good folks buying and selling. Just have to weed out the scammers and time wasters. If I have someone cancel on me on an item they want. I tell them that’s fine. Item is sold to another. I simply don’t waste my time with it.

About 1/3rd of my closest, longest term friends I met buying and selling animals from ads. I still have friends that I met that way, back in the eighties and nineties.

Keith

Re: Facebook Marketplace Sellers [Re: lumberjack391] #7807918
02/26/23 05:01 PM
02/26/23 05:01 PM
AR
T
TurkeyWrangler Online content
trapper
TurkeyWrangler  Online Content
trapper
T

AR
I haven't read everything here but no way in heck will I give some stranger on the internet my address and tell them when I will and won't be home.

Poor people have poor ways.
Re: Facebook Marketplace Sellers [Re: lumberjack391] #7808171
02/26/23 10:22 PM
02/26/23 10:22 PM
PA
L
lumberjack391 Offline OP
trapper
trapper
L

PA
Well if its load up all this crap to meet at walmart and hope to god the buyer shows up I see no other way to do it. At some point you have to trust people to a certain extent.

Re: Facebook Marketplace Sellers [Re: lumberjack391] #7808180
02/26/23 10:31 PM
02/26/23 10:31 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
Craigslist, Offerup, Facebook, they're all about the same. People have forgotten how to communicate, or never learned; basically about half the people on those sites act like imbeciles.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread