No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Basket case. Signed up for SS [Re: martyd] #7807857
02/26/23 03:21 PM
02/26/23 03:21 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
Originally Posted by martyd
I am a basket case. Signed up for SS last Friday , now having anxiety attacks for 3 days. My health is Very bad , 3 knee replacements in 9 years on 2 legs. 63 1/2. Saved some money but not enough. My brother says Marty no one ever saves enough. When I made a column for and column against retirement it seemed to me it was time. Now for 3 days I have not slept. I can make $20,000 a year part time but still I am questioning my decision. I don’t feel like working at all but will need to work 15 hrs a week to keep me in pen money. I have been in Mfg Management for 42 years and have hated every single day of it , every single day !
I hope you guys have some positive stories and can encourage me. Thanks. MD

why did you work at a job you hated for 4 decades+?

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: Basket case. Signed up for SS [Re: Wanna Be] #7807861
02/26/23 03:28 PM
02/26/23 03:28 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
42 years and you don’t have a nest egg??? I’ve got 7 more years before 62 and I can start drawing SS. All I’m counting out SS for is paying my insurance. After 42 years you should have close to $3K a month just in that. Whatever pension and retirement plan you had should put you living better than most Americans. I’d work on improving my health more than worrying about money.

^^but you just made him worry about his money situation...

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Basket case. Signed up for SS [Re: martyd] #7807864
02/26/23 03:37 PM
02/26/23 03:37 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
what is your procedure and plan for dealing with anxiety?

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: Basket case. Signed up for SS [Re: martyd] #7807872
02/26/23 03:45 PM
02/26/23 03:45 PM
Ohio
S
stinkypete Offline
trapper
stinkypete  Offline
trapper
S

Ohio
Everyone’s life leads them in different directions. Why they stay at one job they hate. Some people change jobs when the wind blows a different direction. All that I know. Worry is like interest in a bank you will never earn. Everything will work out. It always does. The sun will rise. The sun will set. Take one day at a time. Good luck. Enjoy your new life

Re: Basket case. Signed up for SS [Re: martyd] #7807873
02/26/23 03:49 PM
02/26/23 03:49 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
A lot of good suggestions on here. I know a couple guys who recently retired and both of them started a small lawn care business. Buy a trailer, a lawnmower, and a weed whacker and I imagine you can find all the work and extra income you want. I know they can't even keep up with all the work they have. Find a couple clients, do a good job and in no time you'll be turning down work. Just don't take TOO many jobs... you're retired... enjoy it. Save time to go fishing and trapping.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Basket case. Signed up for SS [Re: martyd] #7807876
02/26/23 03:51 PM
02/26/23 03:51 PM
MN
160user Offline
trapper
160user  Offline
trapper

MN
Thanks for the encouragement. My brother that I am close to said the same thing to me this am. Said Marty your health is everything. Mental and Physical. I have No wife or kids ,
it’s just me. Brother said Marty you have no one to worry about leaving any money too. Brother Said take it 1 day at a time and live on your budget and focus on staying healthy. Said that is your job now. I can see I will be needing to give myself this pep talk every morning. MD

This is a game changer! I am in the same boat with no wife and kids. I was able to draw a full pension with no survivor benefit and I make just about as much as I did working without touching my 401K. As a single guy and assuming you have made decent financial decisions, RETIRE! Don't look back and just do it. Work 3 partial days at the local hardware store to get out of the house, make your extra pocket money and enjoy your 10% employee discount.

I have nothing clever to put here.

Re: Basket case. Signed up for SS [Re: martyd] #7807905
02/26/23 04:42 PM
02/26/23 04:42 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Your addicted to the check is the problem Ive seen a lot of people living the life they hated to get that check. They made the move and have never been happier since they experienced the freedom. When I retired at 58 I did not owe anyone a dime just the usual monthly bills.

Don’t for get a lot of the work and back expenses are gone so just budget wisely, eat out less that saves on food costs most folks learn to live within their means.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Basket case. Signed up for SS [Re: martyd] #7807910
02/26/23 04:50 PM
02/26/23 04:50 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Worry does nothing to benefit you and does a lot to harm you. If you didn't save enough in 42 years than 50 year would not make a difference realistically than would it?

Your spending will adjust to your income. You rent so could move to a less expensive place maybe somewhere you always wanted to try living. You can be happy living in a tent and miserable living in a rich man's estate. Life is what you make of it . You won't only do well but you will thrive with the right mind set.

I often get discouraged working a ton of overtime and feel like I'm not getting ahead fast enough. 80 hrs a week is common. I'm younger at 42 but been in the same ot trap 17 years. I do like my job.

Now my feeling about not geting ahead are base less. Not getting ahead as fast as I should is fact but I'm still moving the right direction. Recently I decided I don't seem to save as much as I think I should each month it seems to dissappear but the few i have payments also get made. So I got on line and added 1000 a month to go to principal on my rent houses payment. If I keep it at that it will be paid off in 17 months instead of over 9 years. Yes it cuts down on saving for other projects but I know I'm moving ahead and always have something to show for it. Sometimes you just need to try a different approach.

Do you have a good running trapping truck? Coonman could probably use a good roommate and trapping partner as long as your not lazy. Lol.

I'm hopeful in 2 years to be 100% debt free and have a rental income coming in. But I also really want fencing and a new building so that may not last. But it's a goal. When I fall short I just change it up reevaluate.

The best place I found to quiet my mind when it's in overdrive is in church and in scripture. If you find the right church you will be amazed the difference it makes in every aspect of your life.

Last edited by Providence Farm; 02/26/23 06:03 PM.
Re: Basket case. Signed up for SS [Re: martyd] #7807917
02/26/23 04:59 PM
02/26/23 04:59 PM
WI>>>MN >>>WI
T-Rex Offline
trapper
T-Rex  Offline
trapper

WI>>>MN >>>WI
There is no such thing as a $20,000 cap on your income!!!

Yeah, if you make more than the limit, they will tax you on it. So, what? You are still money ahead.

I ran a lot of numbers and decided to start drawing at age 62. Now, at age 76 i find that if I am lucky enough to die in the next six years, i win.

BTW, when I said I started drawing, that is exactly what I meant, I did not retire, still haven't. Now I work when I want and do what I want. Life is good.

With a few bucks coming in you buy yourself plenty of time to figure out what you want to do. Just do something. Doing nothing is a death sentence.

Man who mistake shillelagh for fairy wand; see pixie dust, also.
Re: Basket case. Signed up for SS [Re: martyd] #7807939
02/26/23 05:45 PM
02/26/23 05:45 PM
IA, WI, ND, IL
M
martyd Offline OP
trapper
martyd  Offline OP
trapper
M

IA, WI, ND, IL
Yes my brother the CPA said Marty let’s say for some reason you THINK you don’t have enough money coming in you can always go back into Manufacturing Management any time with another company at probably your old salary or more but you will be taxed on it. He said that’s ok you would probably only want to do it 2 or 3 years at most anyways. I just need to look at the column of + ‘s and the Column of - ‘s I made made the last few months and realize it was a good decision I made last Friday and then be positive and go forward. Thanks folks. MD

Last edited by martyd; 02/26/23 05:46 PM.
Re: Basket case. Signed up for SS [Re: martyd] #7807959
02/26/23 05:57 PM
02/26/23 05:57 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
If your in that bad of shape and qualify for disability that would be your golden ticket, a check and insurance all in one if that’s the way you need to go.

Jerry Herbst
Re: Basket case. Signed up for SS [Re: martyd] #7807983
02/26/23 06:32 PM
02/26/23 06:32 PM
Beaman Iowa 55
M
Mike Cope Offline
trapper
Mike Cope  Offline
trapper
M

Beaman Iowa 55
I retired last June at 56 and 7 months. I had 35+ years.

My expenses went down as I no longer have a commute (mine was 160 miles daily) or as much incidental spending; fast meal out, stops at the grocery store for something I wanted vs need, and other impulse buys..

I got a 6week old pup 3 days before my last day at work. He helps me with idle time ( there is little)

The first 3 months I put on shoes with laces and long pants 3 times...It felt great.

I have many small things that I work on when I feel like it.

You will be fine. It amazed me how much money I spent on different things that I no longer do,

Re: Basket case. Signed up for SS [Re: martyd] #7807990
02/26/23 06:39 PM
02/26/23 06:39 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
A guy could spend a lot of time keeping busy fixing and selling the junk he has laying around his place. Find your passion the figure ways to make a living at it or whatever floats your boat.

Jerry Herbst
Re: Basket case. Signed up for SS [Re: martyd] #7807994
02/26/23 06:41 PM
02/26/23 06:41 PM
West Virginia
S
Sshaffer Offline
trapper
Sshaffer  Offline
trapper
S

West Virginia
In June I will be retired 10 years I was just a few days short of 56. Started collecting SS 4 years ago at 62. Hated my job.
I HAVE NOT MISSED WORKING FOR ONE SECOND IN 10 YEARS!!
That said I worked close to 100 hour weeks for years piling up money for retirement.
I hunt, trap, fish, or shoot nearly every day.
Just live within your income and you will be fine.
I stressed over retirement befor I retired. Not after!!

Re: Basket case. Signed up for SS [Re: martyd] #7808072
02/26/23 08:25 PM
02/26/23 08:25 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
yes it COST money to work. Depending on what you do. MY wife for example got rid of a 50 buck a week dry cleaning bill when she retired from the highschool...That was 11 years ago. Can't imagine that bill today since they started taxing that service. PLUS bobo and putin's inflation.....

Re: Basket case. Signed up for SS [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7808086
02/26/23 08:34 PM
02/26/23 08:34 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
42 years and you don’t have a nest egg??? I’ve got 7 more years before 62 and I can start drawing SS. All I’m counting out SS for is paying my insurance. After 42 years you should have close to $3K a month just in that. Whatever pension and retirement plan you had should put you living better than most Americans. I’d work on improving my health more than worrying about money.

^^but you just made him worry about his money situation...

Hopefully maryd takes into consideration the source and summarily ignores it. Man, some people, I swear...

Re: Basket case. Signed up for SS [Re: martyd] #7808099
02/26/23 08:45 PM
02/26/23 08:45 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
You are experiencing the new unknown, it's a relative short time to go through really

Once you are accustomed to your new way of life things will fall into place, takes a while for everyone to go through.

You said your health is bad, this say's to me your really worrying about your mortality and what life you have left
forget about that really just take the day's one at a time, about the funds coming in everyone adjusts to that as well.

About not saving thats hocus pocus, I hate it when some one chastises another for not saving, they do not know what your life is like or what you went through getting to where you are, and it's none of their business either, things work out they always do

I'm 69 took my SS when I turned 66 Medicare at 65 per the rules, waited on the full SS but I still work full time as well
I don't get penalized for working full time as I waited till my FRA makes a difference in attitude towards working as well. I'm looking to stop work this year at 70. I'm worried about doing it as well, as I've worked all my life since 16, and I have lots of things to take up the time, but still worry about it and I'm not even there yet, just saying you are not alone in your thoughts !! I get crap every day for still working at work from other people, it never ends, but I let it slip by, people just don't get it about life !

You got it in you to do what you need, you just have to realign your priorities is all.

Good Luck, there is always something to do

[Linked Image]

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

Re: Basket case. Signed up for SS [Re: martyd] #7808102
02/26/23 08:46 PM
02/26/23 08:46 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
You will be fine! I'm betting you'll figure things out as you go and a year from now you will be happier and healthier.

Re: Basket case. Signed up for SS [Re: 160user] #7808104
02/26/23 08:50 PM
02/26/23 08:50 PM
Southwest Iowa
Goos Offline
trapper
Goos  Offline
trapper

Southwest Iowa
Originally Posted by 160user
Thanks for the encouragement. My brother that I am close to said the same thing to me this am. Said Marty your health is everything. Mental and Physical. I have No wife or kids ,
it’s just me. Brother said Marty you have no one to worry about leaving any money too. Brother Said take it 1 day at a time and live on your budget and focus on staying healthy. Said that is your job now. I can see I will be needing to give myself this pep talk every morning. MD

This is a game changer! I am in the same boat with no wife and kids. I was able to draw a full pension with no survivor benefit and I make just about as much as I did working without touching my 401K. As a single guy and assuming you have made decent financial decisions, RETIRE! Don't look back and just do it. Work 3 partial days at the local hardware store to get out of the house, make your extra pocket money and enjoy your 10% employee discount.

Exactly what I have done at 54.

Re: Basket case. Signed up for SS [Re: martyd] #7808119
02/26/23 09:21 PM
02/26/23 09:21 PM
Oregon
H
H2ORat Offline
trapper
H2ORat  Offline
trapper
H

Oregon
Martyd -- I think i have been where you are at -- worked one job that got me to the point that i didn't care whether i lived or died. i wasn't to the point of killing myself but if i saw a truck coming at me - i don't believe i would have made the effort to step out of the way. I now have 2 small businesses and a paying hobbie. At 54 - I am quite a way from retirement and have had to learn to be a housewife also. Definetely worth the change ---- there is a life out there and it is what you make of it. if you ever want to talk about it pm me.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread