No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Memberships #7814783
03/07/23 08:11 AM
03/07/23 08:11 AM
Central Pennsylvania
Nittany Lion Offline OP
Don't call me Mister, Mister
Nittany Lion  Offline OP

Central Pennsylvania
I didn't want to hijack another thread so I started my own thread. I often wondered how many T-Man members are not a member of their state trappers association, or the NTA, or the FTA. If you are not a member, why not?

I got myself a seniors' GPS.
Not only does it tell me how to get to my destination,
it tells me why I wanted to go there.
Re: Memberships [Re: Nittany Lion] #7814798
03/07/23 08:34 AM
03/07/23 08:34 AM
Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
Jtrapper Offline
trapper
Jtrapper  Offline
trapper

If anyone answer's this post will go POOF!

Not my circus, not my clowns.
Re: Memberships [Re: Nittany Lion] #7814821
03/07/23 09:10 AM
03/07/23 09:10 AM
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline
trapper
w side rd 151  Offline
trapper
W

PA
Most of the time paying dues to belong is the easy part But if you belong to several groups it will add up to a good amount of money . Helping out with events and programs is where all organizations need more people to be a part of the effort to make the group more successful .All of us have talents that are of value to others .I see that on this website every day .I am amazed at many of the thigs that people post about here .And if anyone has a question generally in a short time that question is addressed by a couple people .For those that think they can not stand up and talk to a group I say challenge yourself .If you are giving a presentation learn as much as you can .And go over that info in your head When the time comes talk about your subject and why your chose it to give a presentation on it .Ask questions of the audience as you go to get them involved You do not need all of the answers if they have question . It is perfectly OK to answer a question with an I dot not know that answer .When I first starting doing public speaking during my time with the Pheasants Forever chapter I would get so nervous that I thought I would throw up .But I soon learned that if someone was there to hear what I had to say it was a good chance I knew more than they did . And if you could get people involved in your presentation now what you had was a learning experience for all those that where there . A group of people that have common ground need to figure out how they can help all of them get to where they want to go .I am certainly not immune to pointing out other peoples what I might consider "lack of effort ." But if I keep my mouth shut more and and listen more it just might be possible that sometimes I am wrong also .This biggest reason for failure is not trying!

Re: Memberships [Re: Nittany Lion] #7814831
03/07/23 09:25 AM
03/07/23 09:25 AM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
wacthing and trying to learn why ,, even in this poor market you can catch enough fur to pay for membership?

Re: Memberships [Re: Jtrapper] #7814869
03/07/23 10:19 AM
03/07/23 10:19 AM
NC - Here there and everywhere
C
coondagger2 Offline
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline
"Brat"
C

Originally Posted by Jtrapper
If anyone answer's this post will go POOF!

Yep

Many have very solid reasons for not being members of certain associations.

We are very lucky to have a great association here in NC. Being a member of an organization like that is a no brainer. Others not so much

Gotta live up to the nickname...
Re: Memberships [Re: Nittany Lion] #7814877
03/07/23 10:26 AM
03/07/23 10:26 AM
South Dakota
R
Rat Masterson Offline
trapper
Rat Masterson  Offline
trapper
R

South Dakota
If an association doesn't use resources wisely or doesn't show where resources are going those resources dry up. 100% transparency on everything.

Re: Memberships [Re: Nittany Lion] #7815510
03/08/23 02:47 AM
03/08/23 02:47 AM
Wisconsin
Scott__aR Offline
trapper
Scott__aR  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
My family originates from the 'show me' state. So you want more membership, 'SHOW Me why I should join.

Just to be clear, I'm a member of the NTA, WTA and several other state and regional trapping organizations.

Megapredator ... top of the food chain!
Member of WTA
Member of MTPCA
Member of NTA
Re: Memberships [Re: Nittany Lion] #7815664
03/08/23 10:08 AM
03/08/23 10:08 AM
C
coondagger2 Offline
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline
"Brat"
C

Scott, what did those organizations show you to gain your membership? Only asking so that people can understand what members want to see

Gotta live up to the nickname...
Re: Memberships [Re: Nittany Lion] #7815678
03/08/23 10:32 AM
03/08/23 10:32 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Organizations that have small membership numbers are ignored by politicians.
Large memberships mean votes,and getting votes is what motivates politicians to work for your intrests.

Last edited by Boco; 03/08/23 10:33 AM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Memberships [Re: Nittany Lion] #7815688
03/08/23 10:57 AM
03/08/23 10:57 AM
Owatonna,mn
C
Cibarius Offline
trapper
Cibarius  Offline
trapper
C

Owatonna,mn
My state association has some great individuals and does some good things. I am still a member. But a few of them still support crooks. And when the membership votes, those issues should be pushed. They should listen to the membership, not take advice from crooks. That pushes people away.

Re: Memberships [Re: Nittany Lion] #7815702
03/08/23 11:26 AM
03/08/23 11:26 AM
Central Pennsylvania
Nittany Lion Offline OP
Nittany Lion  Offline OP

Central Pennsylvania
I think Idaho has a good Association. Rusty Kramer has done a good job at increasing membership. I think they have one of the best if not the best publications. I think they have a good idea for memberships where they have an option you can automatically renew your membership without doing anything. I kind of forgot about that, but today I got an email telling me my membership would be renewed for another year, they will take the funds from my PayPal account. Makes it nice and easy to renew. I suppose some people would not like that but I think it is a great idea.

I got myself a seniors' GPS.
Not only does it tell me how to get to my destination,
it tells me why I wanted to go there.
Re: Memberships [Re: Boco] #7815720
03/08/23 11:47 AM
03/08/23 11:47 AM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
Originally Posted by Boco
Organizations that have small membership numbers are ignored by politicians.
Large memberships mean votes,and getting votes is what motivates politicians to work for your intrests.

Here they don't care about votes anymore, only money talks!

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: Memberships [Re: coondagger2] #7816092
03/08/23 09:36 PM
03/08/23 09:36 PM
Wisconsin
Scott__aR Offline
trapper
Scott__aR  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by coondagger2
Scott, what did those organizations show you to gain your membership? Only asking so that people can understand what members want to see

Here in Wisconsin, I feel we have a good association. In conjunction with our state DNR there is a excellent trapper education program for trappers, just recently initiated an all woman's trapping camp. While trappers don't get everything we would like, we have IMO, a fair compromise between the allowed trapping tools and protecting domestic animals. The public for the most part has a favorable impression of trapping and trappers in the state through the continuing effort of the association. And the association has done a lot of work to tear down walls amongst other sportsperson in the state.

Is everything prefect, there is always room for improvement. I personally think that as an association, there could be more done for promoting (advertising) trapping events to the general public. Although, several districts are partnering with other events to bring a trapping presence to the general public.

Northern Michigan - I see the energy and engagement that they have going up there. They are well organized and communications is far more than what I see from other bigger associations.

I support a few other state organizations because I would consider moving there or at least trapping there someday.

I am supporting the national organization, well because they're national organizations. They should be supporting the all the state organizations and developing networking partnerships across a broad national demographic. From the information an individual can glean from their reports they have a narrow base that they interact with. They are supporting lawsuits that would benefit trappers in 3(?) states. Not sure if that is all I know because they hold the the old trappes' mindset of playing close to the vest. In today's world transparency is mandatory and I have some concerns about documents that are public record. If any organizational management thinks they can protect an organization by being silent, truth has a way of always coming out!

If an organization wants to increase membership and by default funds; show your membership and the public how they are using energy and funds to achieve positive results.. Don't keep the light under a rock!

Megapredator ... top of the food chain!
Member of WTA
Member of MTPCA
Member of NTA
Re: Memberships [Re: Nittany Lion] #7816212
03/08/23 11:13 PM
03/08/23 11:13 PM
Jtrapper Offline
trapper
Jtrapper  Offline
trapper

Best post so far scott_ar! Is tiring hearing the same ol lame excuse, we can't let our enemy's know stuff, but it's worked for what now, 40 years?

AR group's sadly know MORE about our trapping association's than ANY member does! From finance's on down. Anyone remember Murky Waters? Perfect example of what i just said.

Operate an organization people WANT to belong to and you will never have to beg for people to sign up again. I spent a decade in the mess and now been out a decade so I don't see much
changing anytime soon. And sadly alot of die hard supporter's won't ever be back no matter who is running the show or what they are doing!

Not my circus, not my clowns.
Re: Memberships [Re: Nittany Lion] #7816297
03/09/23 01:23 AM
03/09/23 01:23 AM
S.W.Oregon
newhouse114 Offline
trapper
newhouse114  Offline
trapper

S.W.Oregon
I’m a lifetime member of both the NTA and FTA, thanks to the members of this forum. The real old timers might remember how that came about.

Life Member NTA & FTA
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain

http://alaskastoneanivory.com/index
Re: Memberships [Re: Nittany Lion] #7816368
03/09/23 06:36 AM
03/09/23 06:36 AM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
i agree with scott-ar, have activity and get the local community behind you. is one way to get membership up . we district 3 of the up trapper's is very, active and it help!!!!

Re: Memberships [Re: Nittany Lion] #7816374
03/09/23 06:46 AM
03/09/23 06:46 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
This would be a thread for the “Trapping Politics Forum”. Everybody could speak freely without it disappearing as long as the discussion remained civil.

-Goofy-
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread