Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
A commercial bait formulation for u #7833593
03/30/23 02:51 PM
03/30/23 02:51 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline OP
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline OP
Y

Marion Kansas

Re: A commercial bait formulation for u [Re: Yes sir] #7833697
03/30/23 05:04 PM
03/30/23 05:04 PM
Mesa,Washington.
M
Mark McCary Offline
trapper
Mark McCary  Offline
trapper
M

Mesa,Washington.
Yes Sir, thanks for posting the link.
Good bait making video. I liked the way he described the different Odor Layers!
I was a little surprised they used vegetable oil for the source of Fat. It must work?
I have only used fish oil, bto. or fat.

Re: A commercial bait formulation for u [Re: Yes sir] #7833727
03/30/23 05:35 PM
03/30/23 05:35 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline OP
Yes sir  Offline OP
Y

Marion Kansas
My pleasure. I figure everyone could get something out of that video.

Re: A commercial bait formulation for u [Re: Yes sir] #7833866
03/30/23 07:49 PM
03/30/23 07:49 PM
Georgia
sportsman94 Offline
trapper
sportsman94  Offline
trapper

Georgia
I got that I won’t be ordering that bait! Thanks for sharing

Re: A commercial bait formulation for u [Re: sportsman94] #7834894
03/31/23 09:20 PM
03/31/23 09:20 PM
Northern Ky
T
Thumb Catcher Offline
trapper
Thumb Catcher  Offline
trapper
T

Northern Ky
My question that came of the video which I did appreciate was why the use of salt along with sodium Benzoate?

Re: A commercial bait formulation for u [Re: Thumb Catcher] #7835264
04/01/23 08:48 AM
04/01/23 08:48 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline OP
Yes sir  Offline OP
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by Thumb Catcher
My question that came of the video which I did appreciate was why the use of salt along with sodium Benzoate?

Think he said in the video it adds another layer in the scent profile

Re: A commercial bait formulation for u [Re: Yes sir] #7836379
04/02/23 01:00 PM
04/02/23 01:00 PM
Michigan
B
BigBlackBirds Offline
trapper
BigBlackBirds  Offline
trapper
B

Michigan
I thought he was going to add one yellow tabby. Maybe that’s for a different layer?

Re: A commercial bait formulation for u [Re: Yes sir] #7837904
04/04/23 11:50 AM
04/04/23 11:50 AM
Nebraska
silkyplainscoyot Offline
trapper
silkyplainscoyot  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by Yes sir
Originally Posted by Thumb Catcher

Think he said in the video it adds another layer in the scent profile

If coyotes are the intended target of the bait, the salt is inconsequential. Studies have shown that coyotes are indifferent to salt.

Re: A commercial bait formulation for u [Re: Yes sir] #7845541
04/14/23 11:34 PM
04/14/23 11:34 PM
Nebraska
silkyplainscoyot Offline
trapper
trapper

Nebraska
So, for those who have dabbled in making some successful baits, what's your thoughts on this concoction presented in the video?

Re: A commercial bait formulation for u [Re: Yes sir] #7845763
04/15/23 11:00 AM
04/15/23 11:00 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline OP
Yes sir  Offline OP
Y

Marion Kansas
I have access to tons of free beef I could use for bait but don't use any because there's bases I've found that have much more attraction. Never tested vegetable oil or chicken based dog food (which is more than likely high percentage grain base) but couldn't believe they would have a very high degree of attraction if any. Never tested prairie dog but have never heard much about them from people I'd trust who would have access to them. Don't know if the aged prairie dog he used was stopped with preservatives prior to its addition to the formulation but between the amount of salt and SB used it seemed way over kill on preservatives used for what would be needed in that bait. Several other things said or done in that video I found questionable based off my experience.

Doesn't take much to catch some coyotes or some trappers

Re: A commercial bait formulation for u [Re: Yes sir] #7845886
04/15/23 03:04 PM
04/15/23 03:04 PM
Nebraska
silkyplainscoyot Offline
trapper
trapper

Nebraska
Thank you, Yes sir. I was hoping you'd respond. I knew you would shoot it straight.

I appreciate he took the effort to show how to go about formulating a bait, but in my opinion, he over complicated it. He could cut out three of those bases for less expense and still get the same result. I think fish oil would be a better choice for a fatty acid than vegetable oil. The 2 ingredients that really probably make the bait successful, are the smoke flavor and asafoetida.

Re: A commercial bait formulation for u [Re: silkyplainscoyot] #7845916
04/15/23 04:02 PM
04/15/23 04:02 PM
Mesa,Washington.
M
Mark McCary Offline
trapper
Mark McCary  Offline
trapper
M

Mesa,Washington.
For a good coyote/bobcat bait I prefer the Nelson Bait Formula Model. This has worked very well for me.

Re: A commercial bait formulation for u [Re: Yes sir] #7846149
04/15/23 11:26 PM
04/15/23 11:26 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
I've personally had limited success with fresh or lightly tainted baits for canines. I thought that they would like them because most of their food they eat is either fresh or slightly tainted. But I have had limited interest in those baits, much more interest in the very rank baits that they would prefer to roll in than eat. Now that is for baits in quantities you would put down a dirthole, large baits like a couple of roadkilled deer do tend to attract coyotes when fresh or lightly tainted.
You can add additives to fresh meat that will cause them to work it. But that is like adding a lure and having them work the lure. The base isn't really doing much. If you are going to use a base as filler that isn't much of an attractant, I would think you could find something cheaper than Angus by the pound from the grocery store.

Re: A commercial bait formulation for u [Re: Yes sir] #7847608
04/17/23 09:11 PM
04/17/23 09:11 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
I will just say this. Here in NJ, fresh or cooked meat does have some attraction. And with my wildlife control business, I am called a lot for coyotes and foxes eating dog and cat food in the dog bowls left out. As a matter of fact, we just held our state trapping course this past weekend, 72 folks took the course for NJ trapper/snaring lic for new trappers, and we prebaited ( buried) with dog food, and the coyotes and fox had the holes dug out a foot deep. Had cameras on the baits. They were there every night or every 2nd or 3rd night for a month. Also, depending on the time of year the bait is made, in the volume that he was making it, even with the salt and sb, I would think it would be at least three days for a cure to happen all the way through that batch so some taint would most likely happen. Maybe not enough for our nose, but an animal's nose, I would say, will pick it up. As far as beef goes, I am just thinking the coyote would be used to it somewhat if in cattle country with the calves or dead cattle being eaten. And chickens are taken all the time here in NJ because the yuppie folks like to have their chickens free ranging. LOL. Being a commercial bait and lure maker, I will never copy a formulation, so I will never know if it works or not. But for those of you that do not sell your products, He laid it out so you could make a small batch and see. Groundhogs or ground squirrels could be used instead of prairie dogs. He left out little facts we all know, like the time of year or temp and how long before jarring for total stabilizing. So the only way to say yeah or na would be to make it and see or buy some of his and see.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: A commercial bait formulation for u [Re: Yes sir] #7848031
04/18/23 01:57 PM
04/18/23 01:57 PM
Alaska/Washington
D
Dragger Offline
trapper
Dragger  Offline
trapper
D

Alaska/Washington
Originally Posted by Yes sir
I have access to tons of free beef I could use for bait but don't use any because there's bases I've found that have much more attraction. Never tested vegetable oil or chicken based dog food (which is more than likely high percentage grain base) but couldn't believe they would have a very high degree of attraction if any. Never tested prairie dog but have never heard much about them from people I'd trust who would have access to them. Don't know if the aged prairie dog he used was stopped with preservatives prior to its addition to the formulation but between the amount of salt and SB used it seemed way over kill on preservatives used for what would be needed in that bait. Several other things said or done in that video I found questionable based off my experience.

Doesn't take much to catch some coyotes or some trappers

Your last comment is so true! I think it was you that said each ingredient should be tested individually. Ingredients that have no purpose and don't attract are just fillers to make the trapper feel he is putting out "enough" bait.

Give an illegal alien a fish and he eats for a day. Deport him and you never have to feed him ever again!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91