Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Beaver feet and innards #7836929
04/03/23 01:57 AM
04/03/23 01:57 AM
MT
N
Nunyacreek Offline OP
trapper
Nunyacreek  Offline OP
trapper
N

MT
I don’t get a lot of beaver so I’m pretty careful to try to use all the parts, primarily for marten box bait. The meat and fat are easy, but I’m wondering about tails, feet, and liver, heart, and lungs. In the past I’ve just used whole feet and chunks of the tail, but don’t think the work as well as meat chunks. Anybody ever try grinding or chopping them to make bait that might smell a little more or be more enticing? Maybe it’s a waste of time. Also, same question with liver and other organs. Any ideas are welcome, even if the advice is don’t bother. Thanks!

Re: Beaver feet and innards [Re: Nunyacreek] #7836935
04/03/23 02:12 AM
04/03/23 02:12 AM
Pennsylvania
P
patrapperbuster Offline
trapper
patrapperbuster  Offline
trapper
P

Pennsylvania
Any & all of this stuff will work down in a dirthole

Till that day.....
Re: Beaver feet and innards [Re: Nunyacreek] #7836994
04/03/23 06:52 AM
04/03/23 06:52 AM
Warren County, PA
CountryCletus Online content
trapper
CountryCletus  Online Content
trapper

Warren County, PA
What PA trapper said above! beaver feet seem to be the first thing taken from my carcass pile, but perhaps its because it's easy to grab and run... There is some merit to potentially having some different beaver scent in their feet, maybe like a hot pad in canines, but that's just a guess... Tails are great for beaver tail oil, if they are large you can skin them, flesh them and take to a tannery for tanning the tail and use the fleshings of the tail and the main chunk of inside stuff for beaver tail oil- or just chop them up in 1-1.5" squarish chunks and toss in a clean jar,

Re: Beaver feet and innards [Re: Nunyacreek] #7836997
04/03/23 06:57 AM
04/03/23 06:57 AM
South Louisiana
T
Trappeur Gunny Offline
trapper
Trappeur Gunny  Offline
trapper
T

South Louisiana
The hearts and livers are fine eating and make some fine boudin. But I try to save most of them and the lungs for September as alligators love them. It works much better than chicken quarters. I place cutup tail pieces in a jar and make tail oil, and the rancid tails are great for preseason baiting. You got me thinking of saving the heats, livers, and lungs from beavers and nutrias this season, as it would make fantastic bait.

Its hard to use beavers around here for bait. I have three families that have to drive on a access road through my property to get to their houses. Whenever I'm skinning they always stop to see what I have piled up. Beavers are always requested. I don't mind cleaning a couple for them as each one has given me access to their properties. The three properties are full of coons, mink and otters. It also gives me access to a small bayou you can only use a pirogue in, and its full of otters, mink and beaver. Its a good trade off.

Re: Beaver feet and innards [Re: Nunyacreek] #7837193
04/03/23 12:21 PM
04/03/23 12:21 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
The neighbors dogs and my own always grab beaver feet from under my skinning tables and haul them off, so you can imagine my surprise that a big pile of tainted beaver feet did not get molested at all in the high desert that is full of coyotes. I left the pile and came back a couple of weeks later and it was totally undisturbed.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Beaver feet and innards [Re: Nunyacreek] #7837394
04/03/23 06:26 PM
04/03/23 06:26 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Beaver that get eaten in traps by wolves and cats are opened up at the cloaca area and the guts,liver heart and lungs ripped out and hindquarters eaten first.
I freeze beaver carcasses whole,store them in a shed,and chop them up as needed.Some are frozen after being gutted as I often need buckets of guts to start jackpots before winter. I use fist size chunks of meat in the marten and mink box.
Feet tails and heads go in the gutbucket.
Sometimes I will use a half a head in a marten box.

Last edited by Boco; 04/03/23 06:34 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Beaver feet and innards [Re: Nunyacreek] #7837634
04/04/23 01:10 AM
04/04/23 01:10 AM
MT
N
Nunyacreek Offline OP
trapper
Nunyacreek  Offline OP
trapper
N

MT
Thanks for all the responses. Looks like I’ll save the feet and innards in bulk and just use for my regular bulk bait piles. Grinding sounds like a lot of messy work and I may not be brave enough for the boudin quite yet..

Re: Beaver feet and innards [Re: Nunyacreek] #7837635
04/04/23 01:13 AM
04/04/23 01:13 AM
MT
N
Nunyacreek Offline OP
trapper
Nunyacreek  Offline OP
trapper
N

MT
And I almost forgot - I sold green beaver skulls at our fur auction for over $5 a piece, so if the fickle green beaver skull market holds up… that’s where they’l go!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91