Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Frozen meats #7855484
04/28/23 09:08 PM
04/28/23 09:08 PM
Maine
beezmador Offline OP
trapper
beezmador  Offline OP
trapper

Maine
Was thinking about having some fun and trying to make a bait for canines this summer. I have some frozen beaver and deer meat, probably been in the freezer a couple of years, and doesn’t appear to be severely freezer burned. I’ve read some conflicting opinions about using frozen meats as the bacteria that breaks down meat in aging changes when meats are frozen. Russ Carmen’s book mentioned that as well. Wondering if it’s better to wait until I have some fresh stuff to age or give tge frozen meat a try. Any opinions would be most welcomed! Thanks

Member of NTA, MTA and FTA - keeping up the Fight for our Right to trap
Re: Frozen meats [Re: beezmador] #7855522
04/28/23 09:56 PM
04/28/23 09:56 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
I haven't seen any difference. My guess is majority of bait is made from frozen meat. If your making bait commercially I doubt your grinding a hundred plus Bobcats or beaver fresh
I've actually frozen whole buckets in the middle of the ageing process because they got fly eggs in them and in the end couldn't till any difference between the buckets right beside them that I never froze.

Re: Frozen meats [Re: beezmador] #7855635
04/29/23 06:23 AM
04/29/23 06:23 AM
Maine
beezmador Offline OP
trapper
beezmador  Offline OP
trapper

Maine
Thanks Yes sir!

Member of NTA, MTA and FTA - keeping up the Fight for our Right to trap
Re: Frozen meats [Re: beezmador] #7855670
04/29/23 08:17 AM
04/29/23 08:17 AM
NY
papabear! Offline
trapper
papabear!  Offline
trapper

NY
Mr beezmador, My daughter lives on a farm and they have a carcass dump where they sometimes haul their dead cows when one dies. They had an old cow that died last winter, and they hauled it up to the "bone yard" as she calls it. There was no snow but the ground was frozen so they couldn't bury it. That cow laid there a couple of weeks and froze solid and nothing really touched it until it snowed. It wasn't only a few days after the snow the coyotes, fox, a fisher and birds started working on that frozen carcass and it was only a couple days ago that I noticed it has pretty well been picked clean. My daughter tells me on a regular basis that she sees coyotes crossing the pasture headed toward or coming from the direction of the bone yard.

I have also seen on many occasions where a deer got killed on the road and laid in a ditch frozen and covered with ice and snow all winter and predators would start eating it as the snow started melting and they had access to the carcass. From these and other observations I would think that its safe to assume that thawing frozen meat to be used for bait making would be fine.

My hero's have always been trappers
Re: Frozen meats [Re: beezmador] #7855728
04/29/23 09:52 AM
04/29/23 09:52 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Online content
trapper
Bob Jameson  Online Content
trapper
B

SW Pa
We as humans tend to over think some things and not understand the bigger picture at times. Animals are all opportunists, and each has its own sense of curiosity. Those two basic factors can be used to good advantage and in most cases are for the seasoned trapper and lure / bait maker. Meats, fish, poultry of the domestic or of wild origins all can be used for baits.

Frozen, freezer burnt meats etc. certainly the odor will be somewhat altered from the fresh state when speaking of frosted meats. Don't you think for a minute that meat will go unnoticed or devoured by something in due time if placed out in the field. That is just nature's way. No doubt some animals may show caution or reluctance to an unfamiliar odor. But in time curiosity gets the best of them.

Animals all have to eat. Some may wait for better opportunities due to their own instincts. Current conditions and the location of the bait to commit or to investigate something of interest plays a role also. Animals of the same species can have different triggers that determine their decisions. Typically, their learned experiences drives those reactions.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91