Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Summer Time Coyotes [Re: Slipknot] #7869452
05/21/23 04:02 PM
05/21/23 04:02 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by Slipknot
WB the eggs you are using are they room temp or you keep them in the fridge and then use them. I am sure that would be a mess if one busted and was rotten. Do you ad any urine to the set or lure.

I keep them inside but not in the fridge. I keep a couple dozen in the truck as well. This guy just loaded me up with ones that didn’t hatch in the incubator. I’m on one property now and my son is on another. You will quickly find out how many coons and possums you have, lol. Wade through those to get to the coyotes. Right now we are not seeing a lot of coyote sign. Not sure if it’s due to denning or they just have been taken out t on these properties. The ones that do pass through can’t seem to pass up an egg though. I told the guy not to wash them or anything. Straight from chickens butt to a dirt hole.

Re: Summer Time Coyotes [Re: Slipknot] #7869703
05/21/23 11:44 PM
05/21/23 11:44 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Any issues with crows using eggs? I know those black noisemakers love eggs.

[Linked Image]
Re: Summer Time Coyotes [Re: warrior] #7869901
05/22/23 11:03 AM
05/22/23 11:03 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by warrior
Any issues with crows using eggs? I know those black noisemakers love eggs.

Negative on the crows. I drill a hole, but not too deep. I want them to see it, but by that time they’re all over the set.
Now you will catch every critter out there with eggs…coyotes, fox, bobcats, possums, and coons. I’d bet skunks too, but we don’t have any. So it’s whoever gets there first gets caught. Having a possum in a set on camera and a coyote comes by really sucks, lol!

Re: Summer Time Coyotes [Re: Slipknot] #7869902
05/22/23 11:05 AM
05/22/23 11:05 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Another issue is after a couple of catches I moved the trap outside the circle. Well, apparently the old hole still had an egg or serious egg smell and they came in and dug that up but ignored the set. Next time I’ll just reset the best I can and just add another set.

Re: Summer Time Coyotes [Re: Slipknot] #7871210
05/24/23 06:11 PM
05/24/23 06:11 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
The Mock Turtle Nest Set will work wonders, especially where there is a water source.
I use 'pigeon eggs', because they're the right size and well, I have a lot of them, as I have pigeons.
Ants won't effect an unbroken shell !

Re: Summer Time Coyotes [Re: Slipknot] #7891513
06/23/23 08:46 PM
06/23/23 08:46 PM
South Alabama
Boy Named Sue Offline
trapper
Boy Named Sue  Offline
trapper

South Alabama
I’ll add my two cents. I will apologize ahead of time that my thoughts are random and do not run in a straight light.
For the most part I do the same things in summer as winter. It’s warm most of the year and there are ants most of the year. I use both dirt holes and flat sets year round. More flats than dirt holes all seasons. The ratio of dirt holes goes up in winter, but is still dominated by flat sets.
I use two and sometimes three smells at a set. In summer every set has something territorial regardless of set type. Gland or urine.
I still use bait in summer. Even though it’s covered by ant dirt it is still there for a few days. I am confident that it can be detected by a coyote. My jobs are ten to fourteen days. I do rebait, and depending on what I used for bait depends on when I rebait. Anywhere from three two seven days. If my bait has bones I could probably get away with not rebating but I still do it usually.My lure goes on some thing porous so when it gets covered the smell is still where I put it.
I leave my sets alone unless the ants change the landscape enough to change my intended foot placement.
Trapping around cattle is usually aggravating. If you can get outside of them great, but that is not always possible for me because I trap smaller tracts of land. If I see sign I set it. If my traps are tripped ten day in a row I reset ten days in a row. The extra work pays off more often that not.
Late summer when pups are traveling with the folks I will introduce curiosity lures in to my sets.

"Common sense is always the least common of sense."
Re: Summer Time Coyotes [Re: Boy Named Sue] #7892366
06/24/23 08:52 PM
06/24/23 08:52 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Originally Posted by Boy Named Sue
I’ll add my two cents. I will apologize ahead of time that my thoughts are random and do not run in a straight light.
For the most part I do the same things in summer as winter. It’s warm most of the year and there are ants most of the year. I use both dirt holes and flat sets year round. More flats than dirt holes all seasons. The ratio of dirt holes goes up in winter, but is still dominated by flat sets.
I use two and sometimes three smells at a set. In summer every set has something territorial regardless of set type. Gland or urine.
I still use bait in summer. Even though it’s covered by ant dirt it is still there for a few days. I am confident that it can be detected by a coyote. My jobs are ten to fourteen days. I do rebait, and depending on what I used for bait depends on when I rebait. Anywhere from three two seven days. If my bait has bones I could probably get away with not rebating but I still do it usually.My lure goes on some thing porous so when it gets covered the smell is still where I put it.
I leave my sets alone unless the ants change the landscape enough to change my intended foot placement.
Trapping around cattle is usually aggravating. If you can get outside of them great, but that is not always possible for me because I trap smaller tracts of land. If I see sign I set it. If my traps are tripped ten day in a row I reset ten days in a row. The extra work pays off more often that not.
Late summer when pups are traveling with the folks I will introduce curiosity lures in to my sets.

You and I operate VERY similarly....^^^^

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91