No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Euro travel?? [Re: Jacks] #7866925
05/17/23 09:39 AM
05/17/23 09:39 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Online content OP
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Online Content OP
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Jacks
For added safety, I would recommend getting a 2nd phone. One she can keep hidden somewhere on her person, in case she had trouble or even if her battery died on main phone. Cheap insurance

I was thinking very similar , our cell phone plan is supposed to work in the EU and UK
her phone is getting a little old I was going to order a new phone and keep her old one as the backup

also I was looking at power packs last night I have one that is old but it is a backup battery pack about the size of a cell phone with a short cord , they have gotten better my old one had maybe 3 charges of a phone in it and many of the new ones have more like 6-7

they charge off the same cord the phone does so charge the phone and power pack when ever near a outlet and have more portable power.

also a EU/UK/US power plug converter

thanks , Pete

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Euro travel?? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7866927
05/17/23 09:52 AM
05/17/23 09:52 AM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
Rome, Venice, and Florence are a must. The Amalfi Coast is awesome. I can't imagine landing infantry troops there with Germans shooting down upon them.

Re: Euro travel?? [Re: yotetrapper30] #7866932
05/17/23 10:08 AM
05/17/23 10:08 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
I can't say I disagree with your wife. The last place I would want any of my family going now is overseas! With the moron in office having everyone from England, to Saudi, to Russia, to China hating us...

Can you convince your daughter how beautiful Alaska is this time of year?

I would guess her carrying concealed over there isn't an option?

Part of growing up I get but does she need to make herself a lamb being led to slaughter?

I get you can't change her mind though. Maybe you can train her to use waist and boot daggers before she leaves?

Prayers for her safety if she goes.

most people in these other countries can separate out a Crap politician from the people , I work on some stuff in UK and western EU I don't go there but I talk with my contacts there they seem to be good people who don't blame us for politicians crazy , they have had no shortage of their own garbage politicians.

she lives in a city with 200+ murders a year now and plans to even after graduation apparently mixed corn , hay and soybeans isn't the preferred landscape , there have been armed robberies within a few yards of her apartment , she seldom carries much if an cash and her currently sad cell phone is the most expensive thing she carries off campus.
she has ok street smarts had a guy having a bad reaction to the drugs he took approach her for help walking to the grocery store a few weeks ago , she redirected him to the bus driver who had a radio to call for help she ran and flagged down the bus driver got him to call for help , seemed like a good way for her to make the exit.

tickets are purchased the school program is paid , no turning back now

basically any form of self defense in much of the EU/UK is illegal UK even forbids knives with a point being carried.

she will have a month in Italy to get the hang of it with people around from the program, it sounds like each week there is a trip to another place in Italy it is an Art History and Drawing program so there will be a lot of famous art viewing.

unlike my brother who did spend a few nights on the street she will be booking the next destination before leaving the one she is at.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Euro travel?? [Re: charles] #7866933
05/17/23 10:10 AM
05/17/23 10:10 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by charles
Rome, Venice, and Florence are a must. The Amalfi Coast is awesome. I can't imagine landing infantry troops there with Germans shooting down upon them.

Florence is home for the program and there are plans for each of the others

Re: Euro travel?? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7866967
05/17/23 11:49 AM
05/17/23 11:49 AM
American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
S
swift4me Offline
trapper
swift4me  Offline
trapper
S

American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
I've lived here for 14 years. My wife has traveled to Italy several times and had great fun, even running around by herself.

Common sense goes a long way in the big cities, and I'm sure your daughter has that.

If she wants to see something different after Italy, I'd suggest Spain. Barcelona is a very safe place with lots of young kids like your daughter who go there for school from around the world. San Sebastian is another great spot... very safe and close to France if she wants to see another country. Southwestern France, the Basque country, is very safe and beautiful. Italy is about the most expensive place in Europe to eat and live, while Spain is about the least expensive as said before. The Spanish are great people and your daughter can buy clothes for almost nothing if she needs to.

If you want, PM me and I'll give you my cell number if she needs any help while here.

Pete

Last edited by swift4me; 05/17/23 11:49 AM.
Re: Euro travel?? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7866971
05/17/23 11:58 AM
05/17/23 11:58 AM
Southern Wisconsin
F
Fishdog One Offline
trapper
Fishdog One  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Wisconsin
Make sure she can carry everything she has, or roll it, I have a roller that is hard case and small enough for overhead bins when I traveled for work. Don't want bags with zippered pockets all around that will get opened and stolen from. I am sure she has been raised right knowing you from on here, she will be fine and love her summer.

Born twice, die once
Re: Euro travel?? [Re: Boco] #7867262
05/17/23 10:38 PM
05/17/23 10:38 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
Originally Posted by Boco
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
I have a kid studying abroad this summer she is 21 and headed to Italy for the program , then spending extra weeks traveling till the return home

I have to admit that I know nothing about EU my brother did a semester abroad but that was a few years ago and he had an apartment that was his base of operations.

my parents go every few years but face it they don't travel like a 21 year old college student
they take tours and everything is very much planned

also all my travel outside canoe or backpack trips when I was younger is very American midwestern in nature , I pack the truck/van and maybe boat and that is my base of operations.

she will have to haul everything with after leaving the 1 month for the program that comes with lodging then then 2 more weeks of travel.

my first question is would you go traditional luggage like a rectangular suitcase or back pack. I am encouraging them to really trim down what they bring for clothing make it comfortable but not bulky

I move them home from college this week then we need to get on luggage or pack and everything they will bring and then they need to take it for a walk probably a mile for a test.

they don't have a car and live in Milwaukee so they are a frequent bus user

my wife is nervous , I told her we where married with a kid on the way at 21 so it is all part of growing up we can help her get ready but on that day all we can do is drop her at the air port and let them be them.
we can't run over and get them but we can adjust flights home if needed or they can ditch their extra cloths and buy new stuff later if they found they brought to much.

any advice I know a few of you are in the EU some of you from there.

Many Americans Travelling abroad will wear little Canadian flags on their clothing,backpacks etc,and Identify as Canadians in public.
They get a much friendlier respnse from foreigners by doing so.

The absolute truth!!! Been to Urp 4 times in my youth and found this true.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Euro travel?? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7867265
05/17/23 10:43 PM
05/17/23 10:43 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
But for a more "full-spectrum" visit have her wear a red "Make America Great" cap.

Re: Euro travel?? [Re: beaverpeeler] #7867280
05/17/23 11:39 PM
05/17/23 11:39 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
We travelled by using tlhe Euro rail system for 3 weeks in 1995 with our daughter as our guide. When she was 21 she and her best friend spent 2 months travelling in Europe so she could really help us on our trip through 8 countries. Lot of younger adults from all over the world travel in Europe during the summers.

Bryce

Re: Euro travel?? [Re: beaverpeeler] #7867347
05/18/23 06:38 AM
05/18/23 06:38 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
Originally Posted by Boco
Many Americans Travelling abroad will wear little Canadian flags on their clothing,backpacks etc,and Identify as Canadians in public.
They get a much friendlier respnse from foreigners by doing so.

The absolute truth!!! Been to Urp 4 times in my youth and found this true.

You hide behind a Canadian flag pin hoping citizens of foreign countries will be nicer to you? SMH

My daughter has been a world traveler for the last twenty years. She has been to some pretty sketchy places as part of her job and many other interesting countries on vacation. She has never felt the need to hide behind a foreign flag or otherwise misrepresent the fact that she is an American.

Eh...wot?

Re: Euro travel?? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7867441
05/18/23 10:20 AM
05/18/23 10:20 AM
Happy Valley
CoonsBane Offline
trapper
CoonsBane  Offline
trapper

Happy Valley
I've pinned on a red maple leaf pin when shopping in markets where you haggle over prices. The prices start lower if they don't think you are a rich American.

Re: Euro travel?? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7867445
05/18/23 10:32 AM
05/18/23 10:32 AM
alberta
S
spjones Offline
trapper
spjones  Offline
trapper
S

alberta
They’re thinking of adding a new page to the Canadian passport

[Linked Image]

Should help travelling abroad

Re: Euro travel?? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7867451
05/18/23 10:55 AM
05/18/23 10:55 AM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
Lug...cut me a break! I was there in the Carter years. grin

Re: Euro travel?? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7867463
05/18/23 11:34 AM
05/18/23 11:34 AM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Canadians are notoriously poor tippers. I would think service would be poor in restaurants, if you wore a Canadian flag.

Keith

Re: Euro travel?? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7867464
05/18/23 11:36 AM
05/18/23 11:36 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Heres a tip for you - Plant your corn early.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Euro travel?? [Re: beaverpeeler] #7867466
05/18/23 11:37 AM
05/18/23 11:37 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
Lug...cut me a break! I was there in the Carter years. grin

An excellent reason to proclaim your Americaness, Europeans would have been super nice to you out of pity! grin

Eh...wot?

Re: Euro travel?? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7867511
05/18/23 01:22 PM
05/18/23 01:22 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Luggage is a problem when using public transport. One medium bag with wheels or camping size internal frame backpack. Avoid the the costumed take a picture of us italien scam artist.

One thing you need find if you are in europe long enough is laundry options.

Last edited by Dirt; 05/18/23 01:36 PM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Euro travel?? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7867519
05/18/23 01:55 PM
05/18/23 01:55 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
she will definitely need to find laundry options , should be some at the school then it is finding them after the school

the theme seems to be less baggage is better only what you can carry easily and still have hands free

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread