Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Forest Fires #7867810
05/18/23 11:25 PM
05/18/23 11:25 PM
Alberta
C
CDNLongline Offline OP
trapper
CDNLongline  Offline OP
trapper
C

Alberta
Tough spring already on fires here- a lot of registered TRAPLINES and cabins burning up. Tough deal for many ; man and furbearers

Trapping isn’t a hobby - it’s a lifestyle
Re: Forest Fires [Re: CDNLongline] #7868243
05/19/23 06:30 PM
05/19/23 06:30 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Yep a big orest fire can destroy a bunch of RTLs and trappers income for many years.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Forest Fires [Re: CDNLongline] #7868338
05/19/23 09:09 PM
05/19/23 09:09 PM
alaska
3 Fingers Offline
trapper
3 Fingers  Offline
trapper

alaska
80-90% of my trapline burned last year. Cabin was saved. Time I spent this year was all spent opening up trails. Should be good marten habitat soon. Do the marten in Ontario come back better after a burn ??

Re: Forest Fires [Re: 3 Fingers] #7868579
05/20/23 09:06 AM
05/20/23 09:06 AM
Alberta
C
CDNLongline Offline OP
trapper
CDNLongline  Offline OP
trapper
C

Alberta
I have seen them come back strong a couple years after a burn; as long as it wasn’t. “Too hot” and left enough cover / tangle. Was real noticeable on a big burn in Kootenay National park along BC / AB border . For a few years after I enjoyed driving through area , with the trax in the snow telling the marten story

Thankfully- Looks like rain in forecast soon. Our waterbodies and muskrats need a reversal with this 2 yr dry spell …

Re: Forest Fires [Re: 3 Fingers] #7868702
05/20/23 12:41 PM
05/20/23 12:41 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Originally Posted by 3 Fingers
80-90% of my trapline burned last year. Cabin was saved. Time I spent this year was all spent opening up trails. Should be good marten habitat soon. Do the marten in Ontario come back better after a burn ??

Not at all. Ask Jim Gibb how logging and fires have affected the marten population in the Timmins area of NE Ont.The marten have never came back because of the extensive fragmentation of older forest cover.They simply could not re populate into good habitat from core habitat further North because of the open country due to the logging and fires.
Marten here need 60-80 year old growth with good overhead cover,and only then if there is connected adjacent old growth with lots of coarse woody debris on the ground for winter subnivean access,and lots of old standing chicots for nesting.

Large forest fires,and the old massive clearcuts wipe out marten traplines.You wont have enough marten to harvest for 50 years at least.
Old burns and logged off areas produce great lynx country after 20-25 year regrowth.

Moose/beaver habitat used to be excellent shortly after a forest fire or large clearcut,unfortunately that is no longer the case because of the herbicidal spraying of VISION to kill the deciduous early successional growth,and the leaving of coniferous buffers around lakes and along rivers.
We had some sucess in recommending that the loggers cut right down to the shorelines on at leas part of the lakes where spraying of vision is not allowed-this left some deciduous growth for beaver and moose.
it was tough to get this into the stand and site guide,since the outfitters didnt want their clients to see logging operations from their "pristine" lake experience.

Fox come back heavy in the wide open country after a fire or clearcut,but drop off once the lynx come back.On one line that I had been trapping about 10 years after a big fire went thru I was taking over 50 fox a season for quite a few years.This line now has succeeded to prime lynx habitat,and 5 or 6 fox a season is now the norm.

I have been around long enough and trapped many different traplines to know the devastating effects of large fires and clearcutting on traplines.

One of my traplines was burned in the early 60's,at that time it had a consistent quota/marten harvest of 260.
Harvest now on that line is 55,with the odd year doubling to 110 when there are high juvenile numbers of dispersing marten along the river corridors where old growth remains.

Last edited by Boco; 05/20/23 01:27 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Forest Fires [Re: Boco] #7868770
05/20/23 02:22 PM
05/20/23 02:22 PM
Alberta
C
CDNLongline Offline OP
trapper
CDNLongline  Offline OP
trapper
C

Alberta
Great detail and life long observations. Yes I understand negative effects of fragmentation as well. Same deal on a AB foothills that was good 20 years ago for a consistent 80 marten, now anything over 30 probably over trapping it. Not against industry and jobs; but have to say government management of forests does bot seem to be sustainable.

The marten line above is a better Lynx line now; few more coyotes…. And wolves benefit big time with line of sight hunting and more deer etc. can’t imagine a 260 marten quota/ catch, every trappers fantasy? Ha mine for sure. Do know of +400 season catches in SE Yukon and some spectacular BC catches…. But these good lines are getting rarer by the year (log, fire, fragmentation) tough deal

Re: Forest Fires [Re: CDNLongline] #7869058
05/20/23 11:55 PM
05/20/23 11:55 PM
alaska
3 Fingers Offline
trapper
3 Fingers  Offline
trapper

alaska
Originally Posted by CDNLongline
Great detail and life long observations.

Indeed. Good info Boco. Also interesting CDN’s comment re “Too hot”. Studies here point that out, that the severity of the topsoil burning off makes a big difference. Also, the more unburned inclusions within the fire area the better. My observation is that about 2-7 years after, if conditions are right there will be a big blueberry crop which martens seem to come from afar to feed on. So much so that they aren’t attracted to flesh baits and won’t climb. Moose do well after about 5 years. It’s a huge bummer that it takes so long to regenerate good habitat there

Re: Forest Fires [Re: CDNLongline] #7869061
05/21/23 12:00 AM
05/21/23 12:00 AM
alaska
3 Fingers Offline
trapper
3 Fingers  Offline
trapper

alaska
Another factor I’ve seen is the yellow cheeked vole population increase after a fire. Not sure if you have them there. They are large and live in colonies and I liken them to the filet mignon of marten feed

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91