Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Your thoughts on blood? #7872929
05/27/23 04:19 PM
05/27/23 04:19 PM
Sverige
S
Skrak Offline OP
trapper
Skrak  Offline OP
trapper
S

Sverige
I spilled some cowblood just right on the ground, close to the shoreline and put up a camera.
The first day I first had a mink and then an otter examine the blood and after that not a single animal was interested.

I guess blood only smell for a few hours?

Can someone more experienced than me (like everyone on Trapperman) please share their thoughts on using blood when trapping?

Re: Your thoughts on blood? [Re: Skrak] #7872934
05/27/23 04:33 PM
05/27/23 04:33 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
I use a little blood in making an in house ingredient. Never really tested blood by itself. I bet it naturally would have some intrest but would assume it wouldn't have the intrest as a good lure or prepared bait...???

Re: Your thoughts on blood? [Re: Skrak] #7872940
05/27/23 04:48 PM
05/27/23 04:48 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Online content
trapper
Bob Jameson  Online Content
trapper
B

SW Pa
Yes, blood has great value and will create interest. Concentrated Red Blood cells and plasma have good uses and create some very desirable affects in formulation once you know how to use them.

Re: Your thoughts on blood? [Re: Skrak] #7873106
05/27/23 09:47 PM
05/27/23 09:47 PM
Alaska/Washington
D
Dragger Offline
trapper
Dragger  Offline
trapper
D

Alaska/Washington
Dried blood from the garden centers of box stores puts out some VOCs (volatile organic compounds) and has some attractiveness to coyotes.

I soak it different substances then add it to baits. Seems to mellow some smells and hold them longer?

Give an illegal alien a fish and he eats for a day. Deport him and you never have to feed him ever again!
Re: Your thoughts on blood? [Re: Skrak] #7873145
05/27/23 10:58 PM
05/27/23 10:58 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
I use the bloodiest (bloodshot if I have any) pieces of meat for marten and weasel bait, and had a bottle of several year old tainted beaver blood I tried as a curiosity/change up for canines a few times. It attracted skunks quite well during a warm spell, but didnt seem to have great attraction to canines. But I haven't really tried it enough to give it a honest test. I've thought of adding some blood from the target animal to a gland lure formulation but haven't actually went ahead and did it and tested it. Blood in a catch circle from dispatching an animal can be very attractive, but depending on the animal can also cause them to shy depending on circumstances. So I think blood in a gland lure would require some serious testing to see if it had the same effect.

Re: Your thoughts on blood? [Re: Skrak] #7874015
05/29/23 07:19 AM
05/29/23 07:19 AM
Sverige
S
Skrak Offline OP
trapper
Skrak  Offline OP
trapper
S

Sverige
Thanks for sharing.

IŽll try the dried bloodstuff from gardencenters as soon as possible.

Interesting about glands/blood, bercat2, did I understand you right about blood from the target animal -when trapping for mink - add minkblood to glandlure?

Re: Your thoughts on blood? [Re: Skrak] #7874813
05/30/23 07:39 AM
05/30/23 07:39 AM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
Sorry, I meant blood from the target animal added to gland lure. When trapping any of the weasel family I've found bloody bait to be very good. But the bait is not usually of the target animal (I have used the back half of mink carcasses successfully for mink bait).

Re: Your thoughts on blood? [Re: Skrak] #7875524
05/31/23 09:23 AM
05/31/23 09:23 AM
NY
papabear! Offline
trapper
papabear!  Offline
trapper

NY
Never seen where blood on its own merit is anything but mildly attractive to wild canines. Fresh blood is a bit tricky to work with because it starts to congeal rather quickly. I have found that mixing some fresh blood to some good fish / trout oil gives me a more usable product that has a lot better level of attractiveness to critters I tested it on......It is my opinion that a little bit added to a (red fox or fisher) gland-based mix nicely enhances the concoctions value. and based on the chemical similarities of the fish oil / blood mix to anal glands would be truer to mimicking a passion "in heat" ingredient than Lovage or Asafoetida. Someday I plan on mixing some fresh blood with straight and concentrated urines and see how that works out.

My hero's have always been trappers
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91